Break-In Period - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 General Discuss anything RAV4.5 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Break-In Period

Anyone here plan to follow the Break-In period as per the Owner's Manual (page 172 on the Owner's Manual Canadian version) ???

I plan to follow the Break-In period to the tea and most likely will go Ole School.

Do these New 2019 Rav4's have Special Break-In Oil like they had many moon's ago ???
Or do they just put in Regular Oil, 0w16 or 0w20 ???

Wife tells me that no one does the Break-In Period any more and most of all NO ONE does it the way I do it (no one does it better )

NB.: last new car I bought was 15 years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I always drive my vehicle hard through the RPMs several times in the first 1k miles. Then i do some easy driving as well. I Never look at these break in schedules. It’s not some high dollar car it’s a mass produced vehicle. Just drive the damn thing. If it goes that’s what warranty is for.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Lofano View Post
Anyone here plan to follow the Break-In period as per the Owner's Manual (page 172 on the Owner's Manual Canadian version) ???

I plan to follow the Break-In period to the tea and most likely will go Ole School.

Do these New 2019 Rav4's have Special Break-In Oil like they had many moon's ago ???

Wife tells me that no one does the Break-In Period any more and most of all NO ONE does it the way I do it (no one does it better )

Might as well try and follow it since the manufacturer recommends it. And who cares what everybody else is doing or not? People do all kinds of ill advised things nowadays and are too dense to figure out why their life sucks, etc.

Having said that, I recently read an article in a motorcycle magazine where they had one bike where they followed the break in procedures, and another where they rode it like a bat out of hell and then tore both engines down and did a comparison. They stated that they didn't observe any significant differences, but the experiment wasn't all that scientific. So there ya go!
The Following User Says Thank You to CFike For This Useful Post:
Andre Lofano (05-05-2019)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSaiyanRuby View Post
I always drive my vehicle hard through the RPMs several times in the first 1k miles. Then i do some easy driving as well. I Never look at these break in schedules. Itís not some high dollar car itís a mass produced vehicle. Just drive the damn thing. If it goes thatís what warranty is for.
Any consequences from "abuse" during the break-in period are not likely to show up within the warranty period.
The Following User Says Thank You to CFike For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFike View Post
Any consequences from "abuse" during the break-in period are not likely to show up within the warranty period.

Just plain "abuse" or "misuse" is bad for a vehicle during "any" period. I've been privileged to own several new vehicles. And I've always driven them "normally" since day1. Even though I have traded most of those vehicles around 80K miles with no signs of problems. I am currently still driving one of those vehicles with over 250K on the clock. The only vehicle that I have ever considered following any type of break-in recommendations was on my 2012 HD FXDWG. And only did that because it was my baby. I've seen many reports like this \/ \/ \/ \/ Probably not scientific. But definitely "Real World".

Quote:
Having said that, I recently read an article in a motorcycle magazine where they had one bike where they followed the break in procedures, and another where they rode it like a bat out of hell and then tore both engines down and did a comparison. They stated that they didn't observe any significant differences, but the experiment wasn't all that scientific. So there ya go!

2019 Lunar Rock Adventure
The Following User Says Thank You to PhenixFord For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:

I followed it. Tried to make sure I was varying the revs a lot and didnít go high RPM or WOT for the first 1,000 kms. Drove it pretty easy. Hopefully it helped

The first oil change is called out for 16,000 kms, so assuming it just ďregularĒ 0W-16. Iím changing my oil out at 8,000 kms though and depending how it looks, may go for the 16,000 km interval.
The Following User Says Thank You to XA50_Trail For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XA50_Trail View Post
Hopefully it helped .

Well it certainly doesn't hurt. But plenty of room to debate if it's necessary.

Quote:
Wife tells me that no one does the Break-In Period any more

I agree with Andres' wife. Just think about it this way - Out of the millions of "domestic" new cars sold each year (not counting garage queens), how many new owners are going to follow a break-in procedure? I guess less than 10%. And I think I'm being conservative with my guessing.

2019 Lunar Rock Adventure
The Following User Says Thank You to PhenixFord For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
I have thought that the engineers who designed the engines and drive trains have a first hand good idea of what they are talking about regarding the Owner's Manual break-in procedure so I have followed their recommendations with all of my new vehicles, both 4 and 2 wheel. I have thought that it probably is not good to second guess factory recommendations especially with vehicles representing tens of thousand of dollars of investment each. But to each their own, as the saying has it.

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
The Following User Says Thank You to Blogson For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSaiyanRuby View Post
I always drive my vehicle hard through the RPMs several times in the first 1k miles. Then i do some easy driving as well. I Never look at these break in schedules. It’s not some high dollar car it’s a mass produced vehicle. Just drive the damn thing. If it goes that’s what warranty is for.
Rofl you clearly don’t understand engines then. And if you think putting a vehicle through the rpm range is abuse then that’s hilarious. I mean if you wanna drive like a 90 year old then go for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperSaiyanRuby For This Useful Post:
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
I always adhere to a break-in schedule. I still change the oil at the first 1000 miles. There are good reasons for this, they don't make this stuff up. And why not? The idea isn't that it'll make an obvious day-night difference on your particular car's longivity but increase your odds.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bpedit For This Useful Post:
Andre Lofano (05-05-2019), paulday (05-05-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page