Who DOES NOT have that jerking motion on the Tranny - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 General Discuss anything RAV4.5 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have an Adventure and have not had any issues yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We have had our 2019 XLE Premium for 2500 miles now. Now issues what so ever. Smooth as silk.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigurd02 View Post
We have a 2019 XLE Premium AWD, made in Canada. Picked up at the end of February and currently at ~1300km driven, 95% City driving and exclusively in ECO mode.

We have the transmission jerking issue. I've totally changed my driving style to try to cope (i.e. committing to a stop and accelerating lightly off the line). Still catches me off guard when the jerking happens and my heart rate gets a nice spike for no reason.

Love the car to death, but I won't recommend people to buy the gas model at this point.
Hear that Toyota fanboy? ECO mode doesn’t solve anything, so for the love of god quit peddling it as the answer to everything. It’s not. Can’t believe I read thoots’s wall of text lol.

I have a Canadian Trail that has the “coast and go” jerking issue, but not the others that people are describing like the kickdowns when slowing down or hesitations. In the city and highways, if I need power in a merge, it’s an immediate kickdown and I got power. I too had to adjust my driving style to suit the transmission to prevent “coast and go” lurching.

Toyota better be working on this and have a fix soon for all these issues.

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question to me is ... is this "coast and go” lurching normal as the engineers intended or is it a defect ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA50_Trail View Post
Hear that Toyota fanboy? ECO mode doesn’t solve anything, so for the love of god quit peddling it as the answer to everything. It’s not. Can’t believe I read thoots’s wall of text lol.

I have a Canadian Trail that has the “coast and go” jerking issue, but not the others that people are describing like the kickdowns when slowing down or hesitations. In the city and highways, if I need power in a merge, it’s an immediate kickdown and I got power. I too had to adjust my driving style to suit the transmission to prevent “coast and go” lurching.

post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
I did notice what some might describe as "jerking" during my first slow-down with the cold engine. However, it was what I'd describe as normal behavior for automatics; due to the high idle required of cold engines, when it downshifts to a lower gear as it is coming to a stop, the engine is actually still providing forward propulsion. This forward propulsion through a lower gear manifests itself as a forward lurch. This only happened in the first ~30 seconds of driving, before the engine settled down. Again, this has been a pretty common trait of pretty much every automatic I have owned, as far as I can remember. My 2019 F250 (that I sold for the Rav) was much, much worse.

If this is the problem, I can indeed imagine it feeling much more dramatic on colder winter mornings (it is May now, so this was like a 65-degree morning). At sub-freezing winter temps, the engines idle higher when cold and do so for longer, so more of your commute might experience this jerking feeling.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
You sold a 2019 F250 for a 2019 Rav4 and the F250 was MUCH worst ??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
I did notice what some might describe as "jerking" during my first slow-down with the cold engine. However, it was what I'd describe as normal behavior for automatics; due to the high idle required of cold engines, when it downshifts to a lower gear as it is coming to a stop, the engine is actually still providing forward propulsion. This forward propulsion through a lower gear manifests itself as a forward lurch. This only happened in the first ~30 seconds of driving, before the engine settled down. Again, this has been a pretty common trait of pretty much every automatic I have owned, as far as I can remember. My 2019 F250 (that I sold for the Rav) was much, much worse.

If this is the problem, I can indeed imagine it feeling much more dramatic on colder winter mornings (it is May now, so this was like a 65-degree morning). At sub-freezing winter temps, the engines idle higher when cold and do so for longer, so more of your commute might experience this jerking feeling.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Lofano View Post
Question to me is ... is this "coast and go” lurching normal as the engineers intended or is it a defect ???

Quote:

I feel it’s a defect, but who knows maybe it’s designed that way by Toyota for some reason since it’s affected so many? Maybe Toyota doesn’t want to use the torque converter to smooth things out when going to 1st gear and instead uses the clutches as much as possible. Maybe a fuel saving move?

The reason why i feel it’s a defect is that I have driven and been in other higher multispeed transmission (7+speed) that doesn’t have this issue. Having the feeling of a dropped clutch when trying to accelerate and getting lurched forward is not pleasant and shouldn’t happen IMO.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:

I think that thoot's dealer slipped him(her) some tainted cool aid. Thoots was also trying to convince "folks" that a distorted driver's mirror was acceptable (just get used to it - somehow) because "mirrors aren't mirrors anymore", after all, they're just all jammed packed with blind spot monitoring goodness! I've managed to resist the re-education efforts so far though. Probably should stop drinking the dealer's coffee when I'm there now that I'm thinking about it.
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:

OK, if you want to drop your gloves, let me give you a suggestion: Learn how to drive your car.

That's all I have been trying to do -- offering a suggestion that might help people who have found it so difficult to drive their cars smoothly that they have found the need to get on the Internet and talk about it. The simple fact is that ECO mode gives you a substantially larger amount of accelerator pedal travel than Normal mode does, and with more pedal travel, I have certainly found it far easier to drive the car smoothly than I was able to with Normal mode.

If the car is "jerking," you are simply giving it too much gas for the situation, and it jerks forward. To me, that is the entire issue here. Every month, some 30,000 people are getting into new RAV4 vehicles, and they're learning how to work the gas pedal so that they can drive the car smoothly. If you stop giving your car too much gas in situations when it "jerks" on you instead, you're simply giving it too much gas.

That said, have a wonderful life.

2019 RAV4 Limited AWD with Entune 3.0 Premium and Advanced Technology package.
The Following User Says Thank You to thoots For This Useful Post:
dcmb2003 (05-08-2019)
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoots View Post
OK, if you want to drop your gloves, let me give you a suggestion: Learn how to drive your car.

That's all I have been trying to do -- offering a suggestion that might help people who have found it so difficult to drive their cars smoothly that they have found the need to get on the Internet and talk about it. The simple fact is that ECO mode gives you a substantially larger amount of accelerator pedal travel than Normal mode does, and with more pedal travel, I have certainly found it far easier to drive the car smoothly than I was able to with Normal mode.

If the car is "jerking," you are simply giving it too much gas for the situation, and it jerks forward. To me, that is the entire issue here. Every month, some 30,000 people are getting into new RAV4 vehicles, and they're learning how to work the gas pedal so that they can drive the car smoothly. If you stop giving your car too much gas in situations when it "jerks" on you instead, you're simply giving it too much gas.

That said, have a wonderful life.
I tried the eco mode today and it got rid of the hesitation issue which is more pronounced with the sport mode so thanks for your thoughts thoots! I was getting around it by not completely stopping at stop signs or using a very light foot but the eco mode driving is a better fix until there is a TSB.

2019 RAV4 ADVENTURE (AKA 2020 TRD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement