Who DOES NOT have that jerking motion on the Tranny - Page 4 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 General Discuss anything RAV4.5 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 01:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoots View Post

OK, if you want to drop your gloves, let me give you a suggestion: Learn how to drive your car.

That's all I have been trying to do -- offering a suggestion that might help people who have found it so difficult to drive their cars smoothly that they have found the need to get on the Internet and talk about it. The simple fact is that ECO mode gives you a substantially larger amount of accelerator pedal travel than Normal mode does, and with more pedal travel, I have certainly found it far easier to drive the car smoothly than I was able to with Normal mode.

If the car is "jerking," you are simply giving it too much gas for the situation, and it jerks forward. To me, that is the entire issue here. Every month, some 30,000 people are getting into new RAV4 vehicles, and they're learning how to work the gas pedal so that they can drive the car smoothly. If you stop giving your car too much gas in situations when it "jerks" on you instead, you're simply giving it too much gas.

That said, have a wonderful life.
Yeah, because 5% throttle even in ECO mode is too much gas. My RAV4 transmission slams into 1st at the slightest throttle input during a low speed coast if you do not wait for a few secs or come to a stop.

I get it, your RAV4 doesn’t do it or maybe it’s your god-like driving skills or your mind blasting throttle control. That’s great, happy that yours doesn’t do it.

Mine doesn’t have hesitation and other issues so I’m “lucky” I guess. I mitigated this issue and know how to drive my car, thanks. That doesn’t mean the all is right with the car and I will still bitch about it just like you will preach that all is well and nothing to see here.

Just use ECO and don’t use too much gas ever in our RAV4s is your words of wisdom?

What is too much gas for you? 4% throttle? 8%, 15%? This is acceptable to you? You never want to use any mode other than ECO and never actually want to accelerate from a coast at a decent pace ever?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
No jerking. 1998 RAV4 FWD manual transmission.

That said... I would NEVER own an automatic transmission. Standards last longer. Sadly, a lot of manufacturers have unnecessarily complicated their automatic transmissions, and even more sadly, have discontinued the manual transmission. I am aware of emissions and gas-mileage political pressure-- but, still...

'98 RAV4 5-Speed 2WD 4-Dr. hardtop 2.0-L. gas I-4 engine. Venetian Red Pearl. Tail Light Guards (Manik). Michelin LTX M/S2 tires & spare. LED headlamps. Roof luggage rack. 5th-door saddle bags. Custom leather steering wheel cover. Sheepskin seat covers. Billiard ball #13 shift knob. Alloy wheels. Push Bar grille guard, LED fog lamps. Suede door panel inserts. Faux-suede center console cover. Driver/passenger grab-assist handles.
The Following User Says Thank You to Techsus For This Useful Post:
Andre Lofano (05-10-2019)
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm new here to the forum, my 2019 XLE AWD Rav4 definitely got smoother after ~300 miles. It was jerky at first then the computer started "learning" and it is smooth as butter ever since (currently at 3,500 miles). So I don't have any issues, love the transmission. First gear being 5.250:1 gives you lots of power off the line, then 8th gear being 0.673 lets you cruise on the highway under 2,000 rpm. Shifts are smooth and quick, and I love driving "manual" to control my gearing. I really like how it chooses to lock up the torque converter after the 1-2 shift giving it a more direct feel almost like a dual clutch; it also avoids the typical "slush box" complaints a lot of autos used to have. I have owned 2 4 speed autos, a 6 speed manual, and a CVT prior to this transmission and this is absolutely the best overall for daily driving. It was certainly "jerky" at first but I learned to modulate the throttle to avoid that, then the computer started learning and now everything is super smooth (you can't even hardly feel the shifts now). I have no issues whatsoever slowing down and I'm not sure when it downshifts into first because I cannot feel it shifting into first at all. I drive in normal mode, I have not seen any fuel economy improvement going to ECO mode in my experience, it just reduced sensitivity to the throttle pedal. Off road out in the mud the transmission works fine (I am an environmental engineer and do a lot of work out in the field), works fine in the city, or on the highway; no issues here! I'm sorry people are having issues, does anyone know of any videos showing the issues? I have looked it up and only found videos with the Torque Vectoring AWD problems (moo sound).

Last edited by Rav4Case; 05-11-2019 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Added another sentence.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rav4Case For This Useful Post:
Andre Lofano (Today)

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
My LE hybrid Tranny is very smooth. I’ve gotten on it a couple of times and it’s always been smooth.

2019 Rav4 LE Hybrid
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old Today, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav4Case View Post
It was certainly "jerky" at first but I learned to modulate the throttle to avoid that...

That is all I have been trying to get people to consider. Apparently, some folks just don't want to even try that.

2019 RAV4 Limited AWD with Entune 3.0 Premium and Advanced Technology package.
The Following User Says Thank You to thoots For This Useful Post:
Andre Lofano (Today)
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old Today, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage
After reading all the posts I am anxious, more than ever, to see how my Limited Hybrid performs. (On order) I hope the next 6 to 8 weeks go by quickly. Some of the statements here have me a bit apprehensive and some giving me much reassurance. I will be sure to post a review when the time comes.

2016 RAV4 Hybrid Limited, Magnetic Gray Metallic/Ash Interior. “Toyota Racing”
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old Today, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I'm with you 100%.

Quote:
That is all I have been trying to get people to consider. Apparently, some folks just don't want to even try that.

2019 Rav4 LE AWD Silver Sky Metallic, came with 3KM ODO
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old Today, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
That's because you're suggesting people try work around a defect in the transmissions and pretend that there's not a problem. There is something WRONG with some of them, period, end of story. Properly designed and functioning transmissions DO NOT operate this way and it doesn't matter how many gears it has. Hard shifting shortens the life of the components in the power train, specifically the transmission. If Toyota can't design an 8 speed that works right, they shouldn't have built one.

The fact that some people have the problem and some don't clearly points to some sort of problem in the manufacture and/or assembly process. Now that I'm four months in, my vehicle does both hard shifts sometimes and sometimes it doesn't on any given day no matter the ambient temp, and sometimes no matter how long it has warmed up. I'm also noticing other quirky shifting at random times. I've driven many vehicles in my life now, both new and used, some very used. The only ones that had shifting problems were old worn out ones.

I traded in a new '18 Rav4 on this '19 and ended up paying over $30k out the door. There's no explanation possible that makes the situation acceptable. NONE. Toyota said that they learned their lesson back in 2010-2013, but obviously they haven't. They're a bunch of responsibility dodging liars.

Please do everyone a favor and quit spreading nonsensical advice in the guise of wisdom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page