Who DOES NOT have that jerking motion on the Tranny - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 General Discuss anything RAV4.5 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Who DOES NOT have that jerking motion on the Tranny

I heard of many who are complaining about there transmissions. I am NO expert, but to me I am not convinced that it is an issue ; I think that is was the way Toyota engineers had it but I could be wrong and only time will tell. Curious to know who DOES NOT have that jerking motion ???

Also, can you state if it is a FWD or AWD, Model, Date of built and Country of built ???

Last edited by Andre Lofano; 05-06-2019 at 09:18 AM. Reason: ADDED Question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
I do NOT have anything I would describe as the "jerking" I've read about. Good luck, though.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
I have NOT had any of the transmission issues I have read about here.

I have an XLE built in Dec. 2018 in Japan.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
After saying I didn't have it I believe I duplicated the issue at a stop light by slowing down but not coming to a completed stop. That being said I have seen similar issues in vehicles going back to my 2007 FJ cruiser.

It is not enough of an issue at this time for me to be bothered by it. It's one of those things that I could see as a minor annoyance to some but not to the level of concern I've seen here. If it gets worse or changes then my opinion might change but I imagine there will be a TSB out soon once more complaints roll in.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
The Hybrid isn't affected by this. Totally different gearbox...
Good luck to those who are suffering!

2019 RAV4 Hybrid AWD Innovation (EU)
The Following User Says Thank You to VonJot For This Useful Post:
Win262 (05-07-2019)
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Look, folks, this is an automatic transmission. It has 8 gears, and they are "more closely spaced" than the gears you may have had in previous transmissions with fewer gears. The shifting of this transmission is controlled electronically -- the car's electronics must choose one gear out of all of those gears, at any given time and situation. Unfortunately (for some people), the electronics must choose a gear, and the driver has to react accordingly, in order to drive the car smoothly. Note that CVT transmissions, for instance, "don't have any gears," so they lack this "problem" of having to choose a physical gear for each and every situation.

Is there anything "wrong" with this transmission? Most certainly not. The transmission with 8 gears was presumably chosen to compete with CVT transmissions, which can fine-tune the transmission with precision for any given situation, whereas an automatic transmission needs to be in one physical gear for any given situation. More gears, closely spaced, can give an automatic transmission "more precision" in order, presumably, to get better gas mileage than transmissions with fewer gears could achieve. And that's what is physically going on here. Add into the mixture the fact that the car has three different "modes" a driver can choose from at any given time -- ECO, Normal, and Sport. These "modes" are electronic programs that change things like the transmission shifting pattern, the accelerator pedal travel, and the steering control.

So, what is this "jerking" people have talked about? Essentially, you have the transmission either shifting up or shifting down. That's all there is to be seen here, folks -- the transmission is either shifting up, or shifting down. Again, that's what the transmission is supposed to do, and the transmission is working normally. I expect that this "jerking" is simply the transmission "shifting down" in given situations. The driver might have to do a bit of work in order to handle these situations smoothly, but I'll certainly be one to say that the Normal mode doesn't give you a lot of accelerator pedal travel in order to indeed handle these situations smoothly. I will say for the dozenth time, or whatever it has been by now, that I have most definitely found that using the ECO mode during in-town driving gives you substantially more accelerator pedal travel, and after trying all of the three modes at length, I have come to use ECO mode for almost all of my in-town driving.

So, again, "is there anything wrong with the transmission?" Of course not. Could Toyota come up with a different "program" for the transmission, which might help drivers "handle slow-speed situations smoothly?" Well, I suppose they could, but I would submit that TOYOTA HAS ALREADY GIVEN US a different program -- it's called "ECO mode." I have suggested that people might give it a try, but it's as if I'm asking them to go out onto some lawn, find a fresh pile of dog manure, and take a bite. I guess some folks would rather whine about it. But, consider this: If Toyota did "give us a new program," would it be any different than, say, "making Normal mode more like ECO mode?" My bet is that this would be pretty much what Toyota might do, but I'd bet more that Toyota probably won't make any such changes. Again, "if you want Toyota to give us a different shifting program," I would answer, "Why not use one of the three programs Toyota has already given you?"

So, yes, I have experienced what I think people are talking about, but I have learned how to drive my RAV4, and how to use ECO mode to drive entirely smoothly while the transmission is navigating these closely-spaced gears. I don't consider this to be a problem at all, but it does take a bit of work in order to drive smoothly in these situations. But, like anything else, once you've learned what to do, you instinctively just drive smoothly, and it's just not an issue anymore.

In the end, I think we can always look at the current-generation Camry, and see if Toyota does anything regarding the transmission shifting program for that vehicle. Bearing in mind that only the very highest models -- the XLE and the XSE -- have anything like the three modes that every RAV4 with this transmission has -- ECO, Normal, and Sport. Given how most cars are generally not the highest-spec models, I think it's safe to say that most Camry drivers have no alternatives to choose from, like the ones all of us RAV4 owners do. But, again, keep an eye out to see if Toyota makes any changes for the Camry. If not, then don't expect to see any changes for the RAV4. And, finally, if you don't like the fact that cars are getting more and more gears in their automatic transmissions, you may want to go for models with CVT transmissions, instead, which utterly have no gears. As far as I can see, this is the whole story to be seen here.

2019 RAV4 Limited AWD with Entune 3.0 Premium and Advanced Technology package.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thoots For This Useful Post:
Andre Lofano (05-06-2019), bpedit (05-06-2019), javadoo (05-06-2019), LongRifle (05-09-2019), VonJot (05-06-2019)
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for your input. After driving my Rav4 for about 300km, i share your opinion here, but I ain't no expert. Let's hope that this transmission is "normal" and working as intended. I'll keep on enjoying it in the meantime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoots View Post
Look, folks, this is an automatic transmission. It has 8 gears, and they are "more closely spaced" than the gears you may have had in previous transmissions with fewer gears. The shifting of this transmission is controlled electronically -- the car's electronics must choose one gear out of all of those gears, at any given time and situation. Unfortunately (for some people), the electronics must choose a gear, and the driver has to react accordingly, in order to drive the car smoothly. Note that CVT transmissions, for instance, "don't have any gears," so they lack this "problem" of having to choose a physical gear for each and every situation.

Is there anything "wrong" with this transmission? Most certainly not. The transmission with 8 gears was presumably chosen to compete with CVT transmissions, which can fine-tune the transmission with precision for any given situation, whereas an automatic transmission needs to be in one physical gear for any given situation. More gears, closely spaced, can give an automatic transmission "more precision" in order, presumably, to get better gas mileage than transmissions with fewer gears could achieve. And that's what is physically going on here. Add into the mixture the fact that the car has three different "modes" a driver can choose from at any given time -- ECO, Normal, and Sport. These "modes" are electronic programs that change things like the transmission shifting pattern, the accelerator pedal travel, and the steering control.

So, what is this "jerking" people have talked about? Essentially, you have the transmission either shifting up or shifting down. That's all there is to be seen here, folks -- the transmission is either shifting up, or shifting down. Again, that's what the transmission is supposed to do, and the transmission is working normally. I expect that this "jerking" is simply the transmission "shifting down" in given situations. The driver might have to do a bit of work in order to handle these situations smoothly, but I'll certainly be one to say that the Normal mode doesn't give you a lot of accelerator pedal travel in order to indeed handle these situations smoothly. I will say for the dozenth time, or whatever it has been by now, that I have most definitely found that using the ECO mode during in-town driving gives you substantially more accelerator pedal travel, and after trying all of the three modes at length, I have come to use ECO mode for almost all of my in-town driving.

So, again, "is there anything wrong with the transmission?" Of course not. Could Toyota come up with a different "program" for the transmission, which might help drivers "handle slow-speed situations smoothly?" Well, I suppose they could, but I would submit that TOYOTA HAS ALREADY GIVEN US a different program -- it's called "ECO mode." I have suggested that people might give it a try, but it's as if I'm asking them to go out onto some lawn, find a fresh pile of dog manure, and take a bite. I guess some folks would rather whine about it. But, consider this: If Toyota did "give us a new program," would it be any different than, say, "making Normal mode more like ECO mode?" My bet is that this would be pretty much what Toyota might do, but I'd bet more that Toyota probably won't make any such changes. Again, "if you want Toyota to give us a different shifting program," I would answer, "Why not use one of the three programs Toyota has already given you?"

So, yes, I have experienced what I think people are talking about, but I have learned how to drive my RAV4, and how to use ECO mode to drive entirely smoothly while the transmission is navigating these closely-spaced gears. I don't consider this to be a problem at all, but it does take a bit of work in order to drive smoothly in these situations. But, like anything else, once you've learned what to do, you instinctively just drive smoothly, and it's just not an issue anymore.

In the end, I think we can always look at the current-generation Camry, and see if Toyota does anything regarding the transmission shifting program for that vehicle. Bearing in mind that only the very highest models -- the XLE and the XSE -- have anything like the three modes that every RAV4 with this transmission has -- ECO, Normal, and Sport. Given how most cars are generally not the highest-spec models, I think it's safe to say that most Camry drivers have no alternatives to choose from, like the ones all of us RAV4 owners do. But, again, keep an eye out to see if Toyota makes any changes for the Camry. If not, then don't expect to see any changes for the RAV4. And, finally, if you don't like the fact that cars are getting more and more gears in their automatic transmissions, you may want to go for models with CVT transmissions, instead, which utterly have no gears. As far as I can see, this is the whole story to be seen here.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoots View Post

So going by your judgement, it is normal that when trying to merge into traffic, my transmission will hesitate for 2-3 seconds before actually moving even though I pressing my gas pedal?

I bet it is also perfectly normal for a brand new car to lunch you forward when it downshifts into first gear when you are breaking?

How about a loud clunk and grinding noise, yea I bet that's also a normal transmission characteristic.

And how about you stop it with your Toyota gave us other driving modes to choose. I tried them all, eco, normal, sport, snow, mud, rock. They ALL exhibit the same problems. I've had 2 independent and highly reputable mechanic drive my SUV and they both told me something is not normal. I had a tech from Toyota (not one from the dealer, one directly sent from Toyota Canada) telling my there might be an issue with my torque converter which would cause these issue.

If it was so normal like you keep saying, how come people that have the 2018 Camry have these issues and a TSB was released to fixed ? I guess it is normal to issue TSB for perfectly operating transmission?

Seriously, I don't know what kind of Toyota Cool-aid you are drinking but not because your rave does not have the issue that it's impossible that other users are experiencing this issue.

You want to know how it's like ? Take a manuel transmission car, go 15 MPH, press the clutch, put it into first gear and release the clutch fast. This is exactly what my Rav does. Now imagine, you are trying to merge into traffic and this crap happen, don't tell me it's not a security hazard!

Also, if this would be so normal like you say, well, every 2019 Rav4 would have the exact same issue and not some of them. I personnaly drove 4 of them, all AWD models at different dealers, which makes it 5 including mine and 2 out of these 5 had the issue. So going with your argument would make the other 3 not operating properly?

Sorry for taking this tone and I am happy that you are not experiencing this issue but dude it's not a 8 speed gear box characteristic. I used to drive a Hyundai Genesis G70 sedan at work with a 8 speed automatic and NEVER it did this. That thing was smoother than any automatic transmission I ever drove.

Rant over.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunken For This Useful Post:
javadoo (05-06-2019), LongRifle (05-09-2019)
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
I'll add one last thing here. I know there is an issue and Toyota are probably trying to cover it up saying everything is normal. This reminds me of Hyunday/Kia with their 2012-2016 Elantra and Forte with the 1.8L where the thing would start to knock at 20k kms. For YEARS Hyundai/Kia said it was a ''Characteristic" of these engine that when they get more mileage, the piston settles in and makes a pinging noise. Classic of GDI engines like they kept telling their costumer.

Well look at them now having to replace hundreds of thousand of engine due to a lawsuits that proved the issus came from an internal coating that was used to improved fuel efficiency that would rub off with time causing the oil clearance to be reduced and increasing internal heat.

All this to say, don't believe everything corps tell you since they are there to make money, and something as major as a transmission would cost them millions.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunken View Post
So going by your judgement, it is normal that when trying to merge into traffic, my transmission will hesitate for 2-3 seconds before actually moving even though I pressing my gas pedal?

I bet it is also perfectly normal for a brand new car to lunch you forward when it downshifts into first gear when you are breaking?

How about a loud clunk and grinding noise, yea I bet that's also a normal transmission characteristic.

And how about you stop it with your Toyota gave us other driving modes to choose. I tried them all, eco, normal, sport, snow, mud, rock. They ALL exhibit the same problems. I've had 2 independent and highly reputable mechanic drive my SUV and they both told me something is not normal. I had a tech from Toyota (not one from the dealer, one directly sent from Toyota Canada) telling my there might be an issue with my torque converter which would cause these issue.

If it was so normal like you keep saying, how come people that have the 2018 Camry have these issues and a TSB was released to fixed ? I guess it is normal to issue TSB for perfectly operating transmission?

Seriously, I don't know what kind of Toyota Cool-aid you are drinking but not because your rave does not have the issue that it's impossible that other users are experiencing this issue.

You want to know how it's like ? Take a manuel transmission car, go 15 MPH, press the clutch, put it into first gear and release the clutch fast. This is exactly what my Rav does. Now imagine, you are trying to merge into traffic and this crap happen, don't tell me it's not a security hazard!

Also, if this would be so normal like you say, well, every 2019 Rav4 would have the exact same issue and not some of them. I personnaly drove 4 of them, all AWD models at different dealers, which makes it 5 including mine and 2 out of these 5 had the issue. So going with your argument would make the other 3 not operating properly?

Sorry for taking this tone and I am happy that you are not experiencing this issue but dude it's not a 8 speed gear box characteristic. I used to drive a Hyundai Genesis G70 sedan at work with a 8 speed automatic and NEVER it did this. That thing was smoother than any automatic transmission I ever drove.

Rant over.

What a truly horrible driving experience you are having with this car.

I agree, based on your description of your experience, that this is NOT how this car and transmission should be functioning.

I'm sorry.....when it drives like it should, it's really a fun car to drive.

Are you considering trading it in? Do you regret not waiting for the hybrid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page