Impressions after 1000 miles - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 General Discuss anything RAV4.5 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Impressions after 1000 miles

I've been driving my Blizzard Pearl RAV4 XSE about three weeks now. One day my daughter asked why people were staring at her, and I told her it was the car, not her. The "piano" color combination does really stand out.

I've been pretty happy with the performance of the car. Off the line it provides sufficient acceleration, though it is not as fast or quiet as my '12 Camry Hybrid, but I didn't expect it to be. In slow traffic I can usually stay in EV mode below 30MPH. I tried using ECO mode, but it is painfully slow, so I just leave it in normal mode. 37 MPG on first tank with mountain driving, and 42 MPG on 2nd tank. I tried lane assist, adaptive cruise control and they worked okay, though still need to get used to it. A couple of times I had to take over because it was going to run me into another car, but it does want your hands on the steering wheel at all times.

The car handles well and provides a very comfortable ride. Haven't driven in the snow or off road yet. No rattle issues, though the driver side mirror does seem to vibrate a bit at highway speed, without any noise. I love the digital rearview mirror since it provides such a wide view of the cars behind me. I leave it in this mode all the time.

The seats are okay. I wished it was real leather instead of SofTex. Let's see how it holds up over time. But I do like the blue stitching against the black seats and dashboard. I added all-weather floor mats, which look great with the car. It's strange a 35K car doesn't come with ANY floor mats!!

I'm not a fan of power lift gates in general. They are slower than manual lift gates, and prone to issues down the road. But it is standard on XSE trim. Hope it holds up.

Toyota seemed to have skimped in a couple of areas. Only one button on the drive-side door controls for windows and mirror adjustments is lit. At night you'll just have to know where the other buttons are relative to the lit one. The steering wheel controls for audio volume and channel controls are really small and feel a little flimsy. They are also harder to locate compared to my Camry due to the reduced size and lack of "braille" bumps so you can feel which button your finger is on. The interior lights could be brighter, especially the one in the cargo area, where there's only one small light on the right side for the entire cargo area. The climate control buttons are also small and not well marked for daytime usage (they do have backlight at night).

I did not upgrade my stereo to JBL system because that would have required purchasing the navigation package, which I didn't want since I want to use CarPlay. In retrospect, that was a mistake. The sound from the standard Entune Plus system is not that good. If I can find out what the current specs are for the head unit, I'll replace the speakers to see how much that helps.

CarPlay with Google Maps has been flawless. Such a big improvement over using just my phone for navigation. Luckily, I switched over to iPhone recently from Android, otherwise, I would have dropped RAV4 from consideration. I have not tried the other CarPlay apps yet.

I installed a Curt trailer hitch for my bike rack and have been mountain biking every weekend with the Rav4. Overall, I'm very happy with the Rav4. It has 4-wheel drive for my winter ski trips, enough cargo room for most weekend home improvement projects, and gets 40+MPG for my daily commute.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Liaw For This Useful Post:
hcfd1075 (05-10-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Question

Any issues with the transmission, lurking and jerking when coming to a not so complete stop ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Liaw View Post
I've been driving my Blizzard Pearl RAV4 XSE about three weeks now. One day my daughter asked why people were staring at her, and I told her it was the car, not her. The "piano" color combination does really stand out.

I've been pretty happy with the performance of the car. Off the line it provides sufficient acceleration, though it is not as fast or quiet as my '12 Camry Hybrid, but I didn't expect it to be. In slow traffic I can usually stay in EV mode below 30MPH. I tried using ECO mode, but it is painfully slow, so I just leave it in normal mode. 37 MPG on first tank with mountain driving, and 42 MPG on 2nd tank. I tried lane assist, adaptive cruise control and they worked okay, though still need to get used to it. A couple of times I had to take over because it was going to run me into another car, but it does want your hands on the steering wheel at all times.

The car handles well and provides a very comfortable ride. Haven't driven in the snow or off road yet. No rattle issues, though the driver side mirror does seem to vibrate a bit at highway speed, without any noise. I love the digital rearview mirror since it provides such a wide view of the cars behind me. I leave it in this mode all the time.

The seats are okay. I wished it was real leather instead of SofTex. Let's see how it holds up over time. But I do like the blue stitching against the black seats and dashboard. I added all-weather floor mats, which look great with the car. It's strange a 35K car doesn't come with ANY floor mats!!

I'm not a fan of power lift gates in general. They are slower than manual lift gates, and prone to issues down the road. But it is standard on XSE trim. Hope it holds up.

Toyota seemed to have skimped in a couple of areas. Only one button on the drive-side door controls for windows and mirror adjustments is lit. At night you'll just have to know where the other buttons are relative to the lit one. The steering wheel controls for audio volume and channel controls are really small and feel a little flimsy. They are also harder to locate compared to my Camry due to the reduced size and lack of "braille" bumps so you can feel which button your finger is on. The interior lights could be brighter, especially the one in the cargo area, where there's only one small light on the right side for the entire cargo area. The climate control buttons are also small and not well marked for daytime usage (they do have backlight at night).

I did not upgrade my stereo to JBL system because that would have required purchasing the navigation package, which I didn't want since I want to use CarPlay. In retrospect, that was a mistake. The sound from the standard Entune Plus system is not that good. If I can find out what the current specs are for the head unit, I'll replace the speakers to see how much that helps.

CarPlay with Google Maps has been flawless. Such a big improvement over using just my phone for navigation. Luckily, I switched over to iPhone recently from Android, otherwise, I would have dropped RAV4 from consideration. I have not tried the other CarPlay apps yet.

I installed a Curt trailer hitch for my bike rack and have been mountain biking every weekend with the Rav4. Overall, I'm very happy with the Rav4. It has 4-wheel drive for my winter ski trips, enough cargo room for most weekend home improvement projects, and gets 40+MPG for my daily commute.

2019 Rav4 LE AWD Silver Sky Metallic, came with 3KM ODO
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
You won’t see transmission issues on the hybrid. It’s a CVT transmission...
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunken For This Useful Post:
hcfd1075 (05-10-2019)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
. . .
I'm not a fan of power lift gates in general. They are slower than manual lift gates, and prone to issues down the road. . .
I did not upgrade my stereo to JBL system because that would have required purchasing the navigation package, which I didn't want since I want to use CarPlay. . .
CarPlay with Google Maps has been flawless.
Thanks for the review, confirmation of my decision process. I ordered a Limited since I wanted the JBL's, the additional features seem worth the surcharge. Like you, I care not about the Entune navigation, glad to hear thte Car Play navigation is satisfactory. A big ditto on the power liftgate, that was my first "filter" when shopping for a car. But to get the other features I want, it was de riguer. You can, with this Toyota, disable the power feature and operate the liftgate by hand, it's in the manual, But folks report that the internal resistance makes manual operation just as slow. Also, you are allowed to grab the liftgate, even when powered, and begin to lower it by hand. I like this, I can't wait to show off to my friends who always yell at me when I try this with theirs. But you probably shouldn't force it once the power engages.

I read extensively about Softex in forums, wanting leather for my last vehicle. My take from my research is that it is probably more durable than leather and cleans more easily. It looks fine to me. The folks who hate it seem to not get over comparing it to vinyl of years gone by but I'm not sure how many of those folks actually have it in their cars. The bigest meaningful complaint appeared to be that, unlike as advertised, it was not cooler in the heat.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpedit View Post
Thanks for the review, confirmation of my decision process. I ordered a Limited since I wanted the JBL's, the additional features seem worth the surcharge. Like you, I care not about the Entune navigation, glad to hear thte Car Play navigation is satisfactory. A big ditto on the power liftgate, that was my first "filter" when shopping for a car. But to get the other features I want, it was de riguer. You can, with this Toyota, disable the power feature and operate the liftgate by hand, it's in the manual, But folks report that the internal resistance makes manual operation just as slow. Also, you are allowed to grab the liftgate, even when powered, and begin to lower it by hand. I like this, I can't wait to show off to my friends who always yell at me when I try this with theirs. But you probably shouldn't force it once the power engages.

I read extensively about Softex in forums, wanting leather for my last vehicle. My take from my research is that it is probably more durable than leather and cleans more easily. It looks fine to me. The folks who hate it seem to not get over comparing it to vinyl of years gone by but I'm not sure how many of those folks actually have it in their cars. The bigest meaningful complaint appeared to be that, unlike as advertised, it was not cooler in the heat.
Having owned vehicles with vinyl, leather, cloth, and now the softex in the Rav... I have to say that softex may be my favorite, though still a bit early to make a full judgement. Does seem like it will be more durable and easier to clean than leather, which is my biggest complaint there. My last car with leather I had for over 200,000 miles, and the leather was starting to crack and had become brittle...if the softex can hold up better in the long-term, I'll be happy...it's definitely more comfortable than either vinyl (of course) or cloth seats.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 12:48 AM
qvp

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Might be just mine, but I recently noticed when I set a certain speed in cruise control, the actual MPH (electronic gauge) is always 1 MPH below my set speed, even when no cars are in front of me. The actual MPH never matches the set cruise MPH. Odd.

I may get it checked out at the dealer.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I don’t know what the appeal is with power lift gates. you still need to use your hands to press the door opener or fob, so you might as well open it manually. I guess with the hands free optional package offered only on limited trim, there could be situations where it comes in handy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Liaw For This Useful Post:
Andre Lofano (05-10-2019)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qvp View Post
Might be just mine, but I recently noticed when I set a certain speed in cruise control, the actual MPH (electronic gauge) is always 1 MPH below my set speed, even when no cars are in front of me. The actual MPH never matches the set cruise MPH. Odd.

I may get it checked out at the dealer.
You can always bump it up 1 MPH using the "+" on the cruse control button on the steering wheel.
The Following User Says Thank You to hcfd1075 For This Useful Post:
Andre Lofano (05-10-2019)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
I donít know what the appeal is with power lift gates. you still need to use your hands to press the door opener or fob, so you might as well open it manually. I guess with the hands free optional package offered only on limited trim, there could be situations where it comes in handy.
So you can drain the battery when the car is off!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
I donít know what the appeal is with power lift gates. . . .
Ditto. Sloooow! Right up there with moon roofs. But they come standard with the features I do want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page