Paint Protection FIlm? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 General Discuss anything RAV4.5 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Paint Protection FIlm?

I've been waiting for-ever for a hybrid Limited, in a suitable color, to show up. Tonight one appeared on my local dealer's site. This dealer offers very reasonable discounts right on the site, especially for California. But. . .

The car has all the options I want except it has the paint protection film. I've researched this, just don't think I need nor want it. Some folks tell of it yellowing over time and looking funky. Any experience with this? Anybody ever remove it?

Please let me know soon, if it weren't for this I would, for sure, buy this car tomorrow morning. I still may. Another option is to see if they can swap it fo a Ruby Flair 90 miles away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpedit View Post
I've been waiting for-ever for a hybrid Limited, in a suitable color, to show up. Tonight one appeared on my local dealer's site. This dealer offers very reasonable discounts right on the site, especially for California. But. . .

The car has all the options I want except it has the paint protection film. I've researched this, just don't think I need nor want it. Some folks tell of it yellowing over time and looking funky. Any experience with this? Anybody ever remove it?

Please let me know soon, if it weren't for this I would, for sure, buy this car tomorrow morning. I still may. Another option is to see if they can swap it fo a Ruby Flair 90 miles away.
I've had it installed on a couple of our vehicles. Our Audi, which has a way better paint than the thin Toyo paint has had it since 2013 with no yellowing on white paint (NorCal weather) but it's also garaged. I don't know what brand Toyo uses but it does save the front end from rock chips. On our Highlander it never yellowed (5 years before we sold it). I wish I would have done it on our FJ as it's tattered with rock chips-again, thin Toyo paint and we owned that since 07. The brand we had installed was Expel/Excel (?). Our new Rav4 already had rock chips and it's only a month old and haven't got around to having it installed yet.
When/if it yellows, it can always be removed. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpedit View Post

I wouldn't recommend it. I had the 3M film installed on a 2004 CR-V, it was okay while the vehicle was garaged, but quickly degraded when I moved it outside to make room in the garage for a newer vehicle. I would have likely had to have the areas where the film was installed repainted had I tried to have it removed.

I think this would be especially true if you live in a location where the sun is intense, the vehicle sits outside, and on dark colored vehicles.

Another consideration is that the film is susceptible to damage from stones, etc.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
The choice of film matters, so one should ask. I certainly wouldnít know about what that dealer uses or the guarantee. In general, sounds like an additional dealer profit item on a desirable new vehicle. I would beware given the circumstances.

That being said, the film I had installed on my two recent vehicles is by Llumar, and it is usually applied to only the front portion of the hood and other vulnerable areas. My vehicle was only outside in Florida, and it never yellowed in four years or hardly ever showed any cuts or dings, as it was a self healing material. Itís expensive, but for me worth it. Highly recommend it.

So it depends.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to EddieJoe For This Useful Post:
Colonel (05-10-2019)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJoe View Post
The choice of film matters, so one should ask. I certainly wouldnít know about what that dealer uses or the guarantee. In general, sounds like an additional dealer profit item on a desirable new vehicle. I would beware given the circumstances.
Does the dealer typically install this even though itís listed as a factory option?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
I donít know mine was aftermarket.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I purchased OEM paint protection film for my hood and it works great plus I got a nice deal online https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/...907-42130.html . What I like about this site is that their prices are cheaper than at the dealer.
The Following User Says Thank You to rav4pro For This Useful Post:
Astrodoof (05-13-2019)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJoe View Post
The choice of film matters, so one should ask. I certainly wouldn’t know about what that dealer uses or the guarantee. In general, sounds like an additional dealer profit item on a desirable new vehicle. I would beware given the circumstances.

That being said, the film I had installed on my two recent vehicles is by Llumar, and it is usually applied to only the front portion of the hood and other vulnerable areas. My vehicle was only outside in Florida, and it never yellowed in four years or hardly ever showed any cuts or dings, as it was a self healing material. It’s expensive, but for me worth it. Highly recommend it.

So it depends.

EJ

I agree, film choice makes a big difference!!! My vehicles have the Autoxcel brand which is also self-healing. It has saved the front end from rock chip damage and grocery cart scuffs and other damage. It's also lifetime guaranteed. Car film technology has changed for the better in the last several years, in regards to self-healing and yellowing.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The film used by Toyota, according to the salesman, is 3M. This dealer uses Llumar film for tinting windows.

I discovered the film is only applied to the front edge of the hood and the panel between hood and bumper cover (in addition to the mirrors). Not too intrusive. There was also side moulding on the car I looked at, not on my list. But the dealer gave me an invoice price then further subtracted these two options from that.

So. . . I got me a Silver Sky Hybrid Limited!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:46 PM

I had it on my 2006 Prius, it yellowed. That said, I removed it in 2016, the front bumper and hood looks like new. I'm getting some for the Rav.

The Xpel and some 3M PPFs have better UV protection than the PPF made a few years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page