Well Hell and only 450-miles on her!! - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 General Discuss anything RAV4.5 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Well Hell and only 450-miles on her!!

I'm 72 and have been riding the Blue Ridge Parkway for probably 40+ years

Was up there to day and the damn biggest TURKEY I've ever seen suddenly ran out in front of me..... thank God I'm trained to never swerve, or I'd have gone of the side of the mountain.

Well, guess you know that most of the front covering of our cars is a Plastic type material.......

Mine is 2-tone, black/silver. Front-end: the bottom-most silver trim piece is cracked and pulled loose thru half its length and ...... the black part/piece above it is cracked. This black piece I cannot tell if it separates or is one big piece of the center-grill.

Just thankful it wasn't a deer or black bear, or my plastic RAV4 would be a real mess

2019 RAV4 XSE AWD Black & Silver
The Following User Says Thank You to willee51 For This Useful Post:
Andre Lofano (05-15-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Thanked 1,063 Times in 883 Posts
Garage
That's a heck of a way to get your spring turkey, I prefer to use a shotgun! I've had to stop for Merriams more times than I can count, had some close calls (no pun! ) tho. Glad yer Ok, the XSE can be fixed, it's a bit more involved fixin us old guys.

2019 XLE Premium AWD
The Following User Says Thank You to Quickdtoo For This Useful Post:
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Glad you're ok, guess you're a trucker as you are trained not to swerve.
Sorry 'bout your broken RAV4 but; somebody will make $ on that turkey encounter.
Breathe deeply & change your underpants, yuk, yuk.
God Bless!

Happily retired and doing nothing about it
The Following User Says Thank You to Maderico For This Useful Post:

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
They fly here just not that well, almost got one in the windshield last year, about 10 yards out at 60 mph. I don't like 'grilled' turkey either.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lucas123 For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Repair Appt set!!!

Have an appointment to take her into the body shop on the 22nd, to replace the plastic part(s) broken on the "lower front" of the car. Body shop found that the plastic Damper behind the lower part of the grill is also broken ........ all due to running into a TURKEY at about 40-mph. The speed limit on the Blue Ridge Parkway is 45-mph and is riddled with hair-pin curves.

Don't know the cost to the insurance company as yet, but guess I'll find out after repair, at which time I'll report back to you folks.

The repair shop told me our front Toyota Emblem alone is $600 (however mine is OK).

Finally, I have $0 deductible Comprehensive coverage, thank the Lord

We've gone to plastic cars to cut weight and improve gas mileage, however ......... there is a price to be paid for collisions!! Don't believe the fuel savings are worth it, as repair costs increase exponentially, increasing repair costs for our insurance companies and driving UP our premium costs Hell ........ if I'd hit a deer or black bear up there, the damage even at about 40mpg would have been tremendous and there id no cell phone coverage up there in the Mountains

2019 RAV4 XSE AWD Black & Silver
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by willee51 View Post
Have an appointment to take her into the body shop on the 22nd, to replace the plastic part(s) broken on the "lower front" of the car. Body shop found that the plastic Damper behind the lower part of the grill is also broken ........ all due to running into a TURKEY at about 40-mph. The speed limit on the Blue Ridge Parkway is 45-mph and is riddled with hair-pin curves.

Don't know the cost to the insurance company as yet, but guess I'll find out after repair, at which time I'll report back to you folks.

The repair shop told me our front Toyota Emblem alone is $600 (however mine is OK).

We've gone to plastic cars to cut weight and improve gas mileage, however ......... there is a price to be paid for collisions!! Don't believe the fuel savings are worth it, as repair costs increase exponentially, increasing repair costs for our insurance companies and driving UP our premium costs Hell ........ if I'd hit a deer or black bear up there, the damage even at about 40mpg would have been tremendous and there id no cell phone coverage up there in the Mountains
Unfortunately now that the insurance company is involved, your resell value has dropped considerably. A Carfax report will now show a "Collision repair", not that it was just a couple of plastic front end parts. Could be big bucks out of your pocket if you're in the habit of trading in every couple years.

Sometimes doing a little research on cost and finding out how much it's really going to cost in the long run can work in your favor.

Have a good day.

2013 Rav4 XLE w/All Front and Rear LED Lighting
LED DRL @ Fog Light w/Europen rear bumper lighting and Rapid Flash third brake light
Premium H3000 slotted & drilled rotors w/Hybrid ceramic/metallic pads

It's all about seeing, being seen and stopping!
The Following User Says Thank You to paulday For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:50 AM
wbw

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
We've gone to plastic cars to cut weight and improve gas mileage, however .........
Might also be because it's cheaper for the manufacturer.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulday View Post
Unfortunately now that the insurance company is involved, your resell value has dropped considerably. A Carfax report will now show a "Collision repair", not that it was just a couple of plastic front end parts. Could be big bucks out of your pocket if you're in the habit of trading in every couple years.

Sometimes doing a little research on cost and finding out how much it's really going to cost in the long run can work in your favor.

Have a good day.
Keep pictures and bills to show what was actually repaired.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Marty Friedman" - Dragon's Kiss
The Following User Says Thank You to vanib For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Thanks in part to government CAFE requirements vehicle manufacturers are using a lot more plastic. But $600 for a front Toyota emblem??? Hopefully the repairs will go well and your RAV4 will be as good as new.

Were you able to keep and use the turkey, or was it demolished in the collision?

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Sorry to hear. Is it too much to post pictures, I understand if you don't. gain, sorry to hear the Rav4 got injured.

Quote:

2019 Rav4 LE AWD Silver Sky Metallic, came with 3KM ODO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement