Yup, my transmission is still 100% acting "normal" - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 General Discuss anything RAV4.5 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I rented an Adventure model this past weekend and did a few hundred miles on Sunday. I had one time where I was rolling to a red light that changed to green just before I came to a full stop. When giving it the gas to resume, there was a single, notable thunk and jerk as it tried to find the right gear. Not something I'd expect in a $30+ K vehicle. Annoying but not dangerous. Of course, the more frequently occurring, the more upset I'd be.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunken View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Lofano View Post
Hope many km with the one they lent you ?

Just over 2000kms

It's their test drive vehicle and I understand why lol.
Lol, my dealer must a ringer car too lol.

I swear the one I test drove was perfect. Then I got delivery of mine and when that first happened I was “wtf?” Never figured I would want a demo over a brand new one lol. Didn’t really have an option to drive the car I would buy, but I also didn’t think to ask either.
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Well it's been 24 hours since I got their loaner and all I got to say is wow... The way the loaner shifts and operate is 1000% better than mine. I did a lot of stop and go traffic with it this morning and not ONCE I had the issue occurred. The gear shift like butter, there is absolutely no hesitation... The only difference is the road noise, it is higher but this is because I did all the sound deadening in mine, which btw the dealer is impressed lol.

Was having a talk with the service manager this morning and telling him how Toyota can say mine is acting normal after driving the loaner is just plain taking their clients for idiots. Anyone that drives the loaner and drives my Rav afterward won't believe the difference and will say something is extremely wrong with mine.

Anyway, back into topic, today they are flushing the transmission fluid and will be reprograming the ecu. No idea if it will make a difference but anyway.

If the issue is not fixed, i'll be taking it higher, So sad I can't keep the one I was given.
When the car runs the way it is supposed to it's a fantastic car to drive! I love mine.

It would be nice if they would write yours off as defective and give you a new one that runs perfectly, I think you would really enjoy it.

post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Iím really surprised to hear so many issues. Mine is so smooth, feel more shifts accelerating and decelerating. Averaging 34mpg on this current tank, I use normal mode and shift manually when going up on-ramps. Love my transmission, never thought there would be this many issues being a Toyota, just glad I got lucky I suppose.
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Just a note. I bought a 2000 Accord V6 Leather, Moonroof, the works. Brand new. I noticed that in reverse the transmission would make a click sound after backing up a few feet. You could sort of hear it and sort of feel it. I took it to the dealer and they gave me another transmission without any hassle. I just had to let them drive it. Apparently Honda had other cars with the same issue.

Now, what sucked was:
1) It was brand new car having to have major car surgery. and
2) The transmission I received was a rebuilt transmission.

I was not wild about having a used transmission placed in my 6 month old car. But, it never gave me a problem and I had it for about 9 years.
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtox View Post
Just a note. I bought a 2000 Accord V6 Leather, Moonroof, the works. Brand new. I noticed that in reverse the transmission would make a click sound after backing up a few feet. You could sort of hear it and sort of feel it. I took it to the dealer and they gave me another transmission without any hassle. I just had to let them drive it. Apparently Honda had other cars with the same issue.

Now, what sucked was:
1) It was brand new car having to have major car surgery. and
2) The transmission I received was a rebuilt transmission.

I was not wild about having a used transmission placed in my 6 month old car. But, it never gave me a problem and I had it for about 9 years.
apparently the only way you can get a brand new transmission is with a new car. Everything else is rebuilt which does not necessarily mean used. It was just rebuilt from new and tested parts. Sometimes it is better to have a well tested transmission rather than something that rolls of the line and has not been extensively tested

2019 RAV4 ADVENTURE (AKA 2020 TRD)
The Following User Says Thank You to dcmb2003 For This Useful Post:
Dtox (05-16-2019)
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quick update, got my Rav4 today. As they are saying, they did everything in their power to try to fix my SUV. A full transmission flush was done, a new transmission module was installed, a full ecu and module reflash was made, a full inspection was made of my Rav was also made but they are unable to fix my hesitation and launching forward issue.

However they found a few concerning issue while inspecting my Rav:

- The lower motor mount was out of spec and was replaced.
- My front passenger window was also out of spec in a way that it was hitting the top frame when closing it down so they realigned it.
- The fluid that was flushed contained questionable amount of metal debris and smelt like burned oil. They sent was they call a flash report to Toyota about and will do another complete flush free of charge in 5000kms to monitor.
- They replaced my inside trunk light saying it was broken (I knew cause i am the one that broke it) This just show how much care they put into inspecting my rav.

Also:
- They changed my engine and filter oil free of charge even though i was far from 16k kms
- Fulled my tank of gas.
- Did a full vehicle detailing, seriously it looks brand new inside and out.

I also had a good discussion that i won't share here with the owner and service manager of the dealer in regards to my next steps if i decide to go further which i would. I'll be seeing a lawyer soon to see how I can obtain satisfaction in this situation.

During my discussion with the owner, i mentioned that i'd like to have my Rav replaced for their demo Rav since they are exactly the model/trim/color but he said that this has to be approved by Toyota Canada and not him. The only way he said he could help me is by a good old trade-in but he said even if he would do his best and make absolutely no money with me, i'd still be about 3000$ in the hole.

At this point, i seriously don't know what to think. One side i am extremely impressed with the dealer i dealt with since i feel they went above and beyond but on the other side, feels like Toyota Canada is letting me down. Like the service manager told me, he expect a reflash/retune of the transmission module will happen that might reduce the problem, but he has no idea when that will happen since it seems Toyota are sneeky about those type of thing and don't share anything until it's there.

One thing for sure, I am seeking legal option here as i have supporting document that my Rav is faulty and not working as designed (not just for the transmission) but trust me when i say this Rav or the replacement one I'll try to get will be my last Toyota.
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by javadoo View Post
When the car runs the way it is supposed to it's a fantastic car to drive! I love mine.

It would be nice if they would write yours off as defective and give you a new one that runs perfectly, I think you would really enjoy it.
Oh trust me, I had one for a few days that worked flawlessly, i really enjoyed it and was sad to let it got this afternoon.

The worst in all of this, i still enjoy every ride i take in my faulty Rav. Everything else is exactly what i was expecting.
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
A full transmission flush was done,
I've read on line that transmission flushes can cause more harm than good. I believe it's said to stir up particles that have already settled and allows them to get into the gears. On a new transmission, it should probably be ok, but I wonder why they even bothered doing a flush in the first place, other than the fact the dealer could bill Toyota for it.
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Metal in the oil and foul smelling at such a low mileage is troublesome to me.The metal has to come from somewhere and whats getting hot enough to make the oil stink. I would think a trans removal and tear down for inspection should be done. No amount of programming is going to fix a mechanical problem.

See what happens and if it continues to act up Change the trans.
My opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page