"transmitting health information. . ." ? - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 General Discuss anything RAV4.5 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Thanked 1,072 Times in 889 Posts
Garage
I just visited Toyota Owners and was able to opt out of the Service Connect option, it's part of Safety Connect which is a 3yr trial, the only subscription renewal notice I've received so far is for Remote Connect which expires in June which I doubt I'll renew, I don't really have a need for remote start, but it is kinda a handy for checking to make sure I locked the vehicle without physically checking it, sometimes if I'm in a conversation or otherwise focused on something else when locking it, I do so without even thinking about it and don't remember if I did or not, just part of being old I guess. But I'm still not sure I want to pay $80 a year for it.

2019 XLE Premium AWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
To me there is no real expectation of privacy with these newer vehicles. Even if you "opt out" I'm sure someone is still collecting something.

Not sure I will renew any of the trial stuff once it expires (with a company car I don't drive mine enough to justify it) but I do like the remote connect app for the simple reason that if I leave my doors unlocked I get an alert within a few minutes and can lock remotely from my phone.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdtoo View Post
I just visited Toyota Owners and was able to opt out of the Service Connect option, it's part of Safety Connect which is a 3yr trial, the only subscription renewal notice I've received so far is for Remote Connect which expires in June which I doubt I'll renew, I don't really have a need for remote start, but it is kinda a handy for checking to make sure I locked the vehicle without physically checking it, sometimes if I'm in a conversation or otherwise focused on something else when locking it, I do so without even thinking about it and don't remember if I did or not, just part of being old I guess. But I'm still not sure I want to pay $80 a year for it.

I went online and it said it's inactive on my vehicle ... but not how to shut it off???

I called and got to a human that said I'm not enrolled, they have no CC info, and that it shouldn't go active.

OK ... we'll see.

2019 Rav4 XLE AWD

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I plan to opt-out today. There just doesn't seem to be enough utility in being connected to warrant trodding on my privacy concerns. And certainly nothing for which I'd want to pay subscription fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
To me there is no real expectation of privacy with these newer vehicles. Even if you "opt out" I'm sure someone is still collecting something.
Here's what the Terms and Conditions states about opting-out:
"If you opt-out of Service Connect, we will not share with you Maintenance Notifications, Vehicle Alerts or Vehicle Health Reports (VHR)."

One implication of that terminology could be that Toyota, and possibly the dealer, will still be collecting the data. Like you said. I will ask when I call but I doubt the minion I talk to will have a clue.

I guess one method of feedback might be whether the DCM icon, upper right of screen, dissappears. Any other reason that should remain if you opt-out?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I agree that we probably have the equivalent or a planes "black box" imbedded in our vehicles. But it's probably very common on new vehicles.

I like XM radio and have it on both our Toyotas. With just that type of satellite access I'd expect we can be tracked.

2019 Rav4 XLE AWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page