Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Availability of correct 0W16 motor oil?

63K views 212 replies 38 participants last post by  Colonel 
#1 ·
I've just noticed that Mobil 1 now has a 16w-20 out (Walmart), but it is API SN, SN Plus. The 2019 calls for SN/RC (Resource Conserving) which provides additional efficiencies (and/or protection) for certain components.

Anybody know of any oil out there that is fully synthetic 16w-20 that is also SN/RC? Also filters? Presumably I can order Toyota oil and filters on Amazon, but I haven't checked to confirm yet.

I would like to do a first oil change myself at 5k and also have an oil analysis done to use as a baseline for the life of the vehicle.

And no, I don't want to pay to have the dealer do it.

#2 ·
I've just noticed that Mobil 1 now has a 16w-20 out (Walmart), but it is API SN, SN Plus. The 2019 calls for SN/RC (Resource Conserving) which provides additional efficiencies (and/or protection) for certain components.
Anybody know of any oil out there that is fully synthetic 16w-20 that is also SN/RC? Also filters? Presumably I can order Toyota oil and filters on Amazon, but I haven't checked to confirm yet.
You want 0W-16. The Mobil 1 0w-16 is rated for API SN but there is no mention of the RC part. The Rc is evidently a suppliment to the SN:
Resource Conserving requires further properties like:
emission system protection
turbocharger protection
compatibility with engines operating on ethanol containing fuels, up to E-85
See: https://www.oilspecifications.org/articles/api-sn.php

The Mobil site has a search function for the appropriate engine oil but the 2019 Rav4 is not listed. I've just dashed off an email to them to hopefully confirm. Here's a number to call as well: "Call 1-800-662-4525 to ask a technical question about Mobil™-branded products". I'm a fan of Mobil oil so if this checks out I won't be looking further. I can't imagine the other Toyotas that are on the list wouldn't also want the above properties sans the turbo protection.

The OEM Toyota filter is part numner 90915-YZZM1 That's what the dealer sold me anyway, the 90915 checks out but I can't access the remainder of the number on my vehicle's current filter. The size and shape match. It was only about $9 at the dealership.

Edit: None of the genuine Toyota 0W-16 I see for sale online, ebay and Amazon anyway, shows RC.

#6 ·
I'm a mobil1 fan as well.

I haven't seen any 0w-16 in my local auto parts stores just passing through but I did see the 0w-16 mobil 1 at walmart for a pretty good price. I passed on it at the time mainly because I went in only for a couple things and didn't have a shopping cart.

I did go home and interestingly the mobil1 website didn't have any oils listed in their website oil/filter matching tool. I thought maybe it wasn't updated for 2019 yet so I tried a 2018 camry as essentially they're the same engine and interestingly the website stated they don't have any oils for the 2018 camry either.

I do find that weird as if I recall the jug specifically stated for select honda and toyota engines. If its not for the new 18-19 four cylinders I can't imagine what its for unless its a prius.

Hopefully mobil1 will get it together soon as I like the brand and I wanted to change my oil way before the one year recommended change.

#7 ·
#30 ·
Here's the word back from my Mobil inquiry:

Ok, that points me in the right direction. We currently can't recommend my only 0W-16 if the manual calls for the RC spec, but I hope to see it eventually. It may simply be an issue of waiting in line to get a license from API, just like we did with the SN Plus ratings.

Fun fact, we actually produced a pair of 0W-16 oils for Toyota before we brought our own to market. The TFF (Toyota Factory Fill) and TGMO (Toyota Genuine Motor Oil) are produced in several of our US plants. While Toyota will be providing the support on TGMO, at least you know it's being made to their specifications by ExxonMobil.

Thank you for choosing Mobil,
Jim
Mobil Help Desk Team Lead

#37 ·
Mobil 1™ 0W-16 Advanced Fuel Economy

Toyota

• 2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid SE, LE and XLE 4-Cylinder 2.5L
  • 2018 Toyota Camry L, LE, SE, XLE and XSE 4-Cylinder 2.5L
  • 2019 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited 4-Cylinder 2.5L
  • 2019 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE 4-Cylinder 2.5L
  • 2019 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XSE 4-Cylinder 2.5L
  • 2019 Toyota Camry 2.5L
  • 2019 Toyota RAV4 2.5L
  • 2019 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why...n-engines/mobil-1-0w-16-advanced-fuel-economy

#38 ·
Mobil 1™ 0W-16 Advanced Fuel Economy

Toyota

• 2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid SE, LE and XLE 4-Cylinder 2.5L
  • 2018 Toyota Camry L, LE, SE, XLE and XSE 4-Cylinder 2.5L
  • 2019 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited 4-Cylinder 2.5L
  • 2019 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE 4-Cylinder 2.5L
  • 2019 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XSE 4-Cylinder 2.5L
  • 2019 Toyota Camry 2.5L
  • 2019 Toyota RAV4 2.5L
  • 2019 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why...n-engines/mobil-1-0w-16-advanced-fuel-economy
Mobile's specs shows the 0W-16 doesn't meet the Resource Conserving requirement, just API SN Plus, SN, 0W-20 does, but not 0W-16.

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf

#41 ·
Mobile doesn't show their oil as being RC spec which the owner's manual clearly states on page 661 as being the requirement, whether anyone thinks it's critical or not is a moot point, Mobile has a bunch of oil on that list that is RC spec, and a bunch more that isn't.

#46 ·
Conserving resources mean oil may save gas.Thats it..Mobil exellent full synthetic oil mix Pao an gtl.With very strong base.I purchased 2 cans and will use on next oc on my RAV4
Hybrid.After brake in 2000ml

“Resource Conserving” applies to oils
intended for gasoline-engine cars,
vans, and light trucks. Widespread use of “Resource Conserving” oils
may result in an overall savings of fuel in the vehicle fleet as a whole

#48 ·
Conserving resources mean oil may save gas.Thats it..Mobil exellent full synthetic oil mix Pao an gtl.With very strong base.I purchased 2 cans and will use on next oc on my RAV4
Hybrid.After brake in 2000ml

“Resource Conserving” applies to oils
intended for gasoline-engine cars,
vans, and light trucks. Widespread use of “Resource Conserving” oils
may result in an overall savings of fuel in the vehicle fleet as a whole

That would be my guess. it was used to get every last MPG they could get. Oil is a very touchy subject for many people. Change intervals and brands always get people going. I say to each his own!

#49 ·
I have never thought to check for RC designations until reading this thread but as others have stated, its most likely for additional fuel economy which is funny because we are talking about 0w-16 oil here where its whole development is based off of increased fuel mileage.

I have a bottle of Toyota 0w-16 oil in my garage (my oil was low from the get go and the dealer wanted me to book in a service appointment....ummm no) However, my bottle looks different. Not sure if its a Canada/US thing but just out of curiosity i will check for the RC rating tomorrow.

I am also in the camp of doing all my own fluid changes. I pass up on all the free oil changes because i hate stealerships and i have seen and experianced all the mishaps of a simple oil change gone wrong. This was when i used to drive fleet vehicles and used to take them in for service. Stripped oil pan bolts, overtightened oil filters, sometimes oil filters not changed, major oil overfill, oil underfill, oil caps left off under the hood...etc. It is true that it is generally the apprentices or straight out of high school kids on the oil change duties and typically dont care or are just learning.

#50 ·
#53 ·
Yes, oil discussion is usually chaos.

Has anybody read the tests or white paper on what makes an oil RC compliant? It takes a lot of money to have an oil certified to be able to put a marking on the bottle, so there has to be something very tangible to make it RC.

The bold part below is interesting.

https://www.api.org/~/media/Files/Certification/Engine-Oil-Diesel/Publications/MOTOR_OIL_GUIDE_120116_FINAL_WEB.pdf said:
“Resource Conserving” applies to oils intended for gasoline-engine cars, vans, and light trucks. Widespread use of “Resource Conserving” oils may result in an overall savings of fuel in the vehicle fleet as a whole.
This might have it...but I am not spending 80+ to read it.

https://www.sae.org/standards/content/j1423_201502 said:
Classification of Energy Conserving Engine Oil and Resource Conserving Engine Oil for Passenger Cars, Vans, Sport Utility Vehicles, and Light-Duty Trucks J1423_201502

This SAE Recommended Practice was developed cooperatively by SAE, ASTM, and API to define and identify Energy Conserving or Resource Conserving engine oils for passenger cars, vans, sport utility vehicles, and light-duty (3856 kg [8500 lb] GVW or less) trucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.