Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Hood shaking at highway speed?

18K views 35 replies 21 participants last post by  MRCHENG 
#1 ·
I have a 2019 LE. The hood vibrates or shakes at highway speed. Mostly it's visible in the center section of the hood. Does anyone else have this problem? If it makes any difference, I had them install a hood deflector. Sorry I have searched but couldn't find anything.

#2 ·
Mine shakes a little also. It's just the thin gauge metal they used to form the hood. One thing to check is the little black rubber mounts on each side that can be turned out (higher) to make the front of the hood more solid when closed.

#10 ·
Ok, I took my RAV4 LE through a touchless car wash today. When the dryer started up, I was sure it was going to leave a dent in my hood. Fortunately it did not, but it was moving a lot. Given enough car washes in my future ownership of this vehicle, with enough times going through the car wash, I'm pretty sure that the hood will eventually be damaged.

I have not had time to go to the dealership, but will soon, and will post update.

2019 RAV4 LE FWD, bought in Canada, built in Canada.

#11 ·
Just picked my my 2019 RAV Adventure from the dealership yesterday; it was a 6 hour drive back home and I noticed this constantly with speeds above 60 mph. I noticed not really in the center of the hood, but the edges. It was bad enough that I pulled over as soon as it happened to see if the hood was seated all the way. I noticed that the rubber at the leading edge of the hood only goes to where the headlights start; and saw this again on a few of the RAV4 videos.

Has anyone found a solution for this or visited a dealership?

#15 · (Edited)
From the previous generations it looked like some had this issue and others didn't so I don't feel like this a "bad feature" and not a bug. The lights have no weatherstripping above them on my Adventure.
It looks like the Hybrids have this extra strip and I've seen enough reviews to see that those have no flapping/shaking at speed (62mp/100km h)

I understand that it might be in the hybrids for noise, like the under hood dampener on the hybrids, but might fix the issue. The part numbers for that might be 8115742830/8111742830

I'll keep looking into the issue just was hoping someone else might have due to the age of the 2019's now.

#16 ·
From the previous generations it looked like some had this issue and others didn't so I don't feel like this a "bad feature" and not a bug. The lights have no weatherstripping above them on my Adventure.
It looks like the Hybrids have this extra strip and I've seen enough reviews to see that those have no flapping/shaking at speed (62mp/100km h)

I understand that it might be in the hybrids for noise, like the under hood dampener on the hybrids, but might fix the issue. The part numbers for that might be 8115742830/8111742830

I'll keep looking into the issue just was hoping someone else might have due to the age of the 2019's now.
The seals on the headlights aren't on any US or Canadian Rav4s, gas or HV, there's a long discussion on this topic, only Euro and other countries have the headlight seals.

And FWIW, the gen 4s had hood shake on some of their steel hoods, so that's not a "feature" exclusive to aluminum hoods, my '15 Ltd did it, I cured it with a strip of weatherstripping on the cowl, not an issue on my '16 Ltd HV or the '19 XLE Premium.

#21 ·
This may or may not be totally off base but I was working on my Hybrid today and took off the hood latch. There is a surprising amount of play in the holes on the latch, so depending on how it was positioned when installed, the latch could be pulling down on the hood to a lesser degree.

#22 ·
I’m going to double post what I wrote in another thread as it might be useful.

When I did my (Hybrid) choir quieting operation I took off the hood latch before removing the shielding.

There is at least a quarter inch of wiggle room for the latch assembly before tightening it down. Meaning, if the latch was tightened at the factory in a higher position, it would be holding down the hood less tightly to the body.

If your hood seems excessively loose you could try loosening the three bolts that fasten the latch assembly and re-tightening them with the assembly lower for a tighter fit.

#23 ·
My hood is still shaking. I have contacted both the service manager and Toyota Canada customer service. The service manager told me there is nothing wrong and this issue is normal on the 2019 RAV4. From what I can tell, a shaking hood is not normal for the 2019 RAV4 since I cannot find anyone else with the same issue. I am unsure how to get this resolved. But Toyota Canada does not seem be helpful. This is getting frustrated.

If you do own a 2019 RAV4, and the hood is shaking (constantly) on the highway, please reply to this thread.

#27 ·
Did you try raising the rubber grommets yet that the hood presses against when closed? Moving the latch isn't the answer, unless you've raised the rubbers as high as they can go.
Does it shake on the sides of the hood or center? If it's the center, you're screwed unless you can firm up the metal from underneath somehow. If it's shaking on the sides, then maybe adding rubber weather stripping there might help.

#29 ·
Make sure that the 2 adjustable rubber stops are adjusted so the hood rests on them. They are right behind the headlights and adjust up and down by twisting them. When adjusted correctly, there will be 3 points of contact across the front of the vehicle and the hinges provide stability by the windshield. The hood latch should secure the hood so it's flush with the seal above the grill.

The 2 adjustable posts (see below) by the headlights should provide plenty of support for either side by the headlights.

#35 ·
Make sure that the 2 adjustable rubber stops are adjusted so the hood rests on them. They are right behind the headlights and adjust up and down by twisting them. When adjusted correctly, there will be 3 points of contact across the front of the vehicle and the hinges provide stability by the windshield. The hood latch should secure the hood so it's flush with the seal above the grill.

The 2 adjustable posts (see below) by the headlights should provide plenty of support for either side by the headlights.

View attachment 158432
I have slight hood shaking when on the highway. I'll have to check these rubber stops out, I didn't know they were adjustable.

#31 ·
I had that at the end of the post but removed it. If the support posts are adjusted properly and everything else is tight, there should be no hood movement except for maybe a small ripple around the middle due to air and road vibrations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.