Just received our 2019 RAV4 hybrid - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 Electric RAV4 Hybrid & EV Discuss anything Electric or Hybrid RAV4.5 (2019+) related.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quest4val View Post
Hows the overall noise level in hybrid. Lot of folks that test drove the gas version though there was quite a bit engine noise. How's it in the hybrid?
Though we can ask for an opinion on the engine noise level, it will be difficult to ask for a comparison to the gas version simply because they don't sell the gas version in Europe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Thanked 1,056 Times in 878 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio Herrera View Post
Though we can ask for an opinion on the engine noise level, it will be difficult to ask for a comparison to the gas version simply because they don't sell the gas version in Europe.
A gas only version in Active and Mid is available in Europe, but only in FWD and the engine is a 2.0L with either 6sp manual or CVT.

https://www.toyota-europe.com/new-cars/rav4/build

2019 XLE Premium AWD
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdtoo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio Herrera View Post
A gas only version in Active and Mid is available in Europe, but only in FWD and the engine is a 2.0L with either 6sp manual or CVT.

https://www.toyota-europe.com/new-cars/rav4/build
I stand corrected. But with a different engine it'll still be difficult to compare.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 04:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quest4val View Post
Hows the overall noise level in hybrid. Lot of folks that test drove the gas version though there was quite a bit engine noise. How's it in the hybrid?
For reference, mine is a 2.5 litre HV FWD. I think that's the standard version in Europe currently, but I know in the US they will have an AWD version when it does come out.

Compared to all other cars I've owned and driven before, it's relatively quiet. Cabin seems well insulated to surrounding noise. Although when in EV, road noise becomes more obvious.

I'm happy enough with the noise levels in my hybrid. When running on EV, obviously it's quiet. You do however, notice the engine kicking in, as soon as it switches from EV to gas, when the car is idle. Most likely though, that's due to the sudden change in noise rather than it being loud. You rarely notice it when you're driving. I've occasionally struggled to tell the difference (if the gas is working or if I'm in pure EV) when I'm driving.

One thing I have noticed, is that it is a bit loud when I first start it early in the morning, until it warms up (more obvious on colder mornings). That however, doesn't last more than 5 minutes.

Having said that, so far all my driving has been in town. I have not had the chance to even hit 100km/h (60mph) with it yet. So can't comment on noise levels on the highway. I won't get the chance to go on the highway for another 2 weeks (can't leave town because of work). If you want, I can record the noise from inside the cabin, as soon as I take it on a highway run, and you can decide for yourself how good or bad it is (although I'm not sure how reliable a method that is. I'm assuming the volume you playback the recording could have an influence. Happy to do it, regardless).
The Following User Says Thank You to wtawfick For This Useful Post:
hcfd1075 (03-17-2019)
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
What mpg are you getting compared to the epa?
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hi, sorry for the late reply to your question. I have been extremely impressed with the fuel consumption so far. The average seems to be 5.4L/100Km in urban/sub urban driving, with fast highway driving around 5.6. I have driven a bit over 2,000km. These figures are from the car itself, so not sure how accurate they are.

So far, I really like the car and its fuel consumption has beaten my expectations. I see lots of people have asked about the noise, I don't find it very loud. You do hear the engine when it kicks in, and if you push it then it makes more noise of course, but for normal driving I think it is very tame. Also, highway driving was very comfortable and quiet (regarding the motor). We also have the Yaris Hybrid, and consumption improved greatly after about 15-20,000 km, so perhaps they Rav4 will as well.

I have not driven the 4th generation model, so I can't compare this new version, but so far I really like it and its perfect for a small family.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robert Palmer For This Useful Post:
hcfd1075 (03-17-2019), SpasticChildren (03-17-2019)
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Just got my Rav4 XSE yesterday!!! Was originally given an 8-10 week estimate which dropped down to 2 1/2 weeks if I would opt for my 2nd choice color (Silver). Ended up being a total of 11 days with my first color choice (Magnetic Grey) because the person who pre-ordered it didn't get approved for a loan. So, I was the next person up for those specs and lucked out. Full MSRP (I was OK with that) and no options/accessories other than carpet floor mats. Yes, I live in the US and yes, it feels like Christmas came early. XD
The Following User Says Thank You to Rav4_4Me For This Useful Post:
SpasticChildren (04-05-2019)
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav4_4Me View Post
Just got my Rav4 XSE yesterday!!! Was originally given an 8-10 week estimate which dropped down to 2 1/2 weeks if I would opt for my 2nd choice color (Silver). Ended up being a total of 11 days with my first color choice (Magnetic Grey) because the person who pre-ordered it didn't get approved for a loan. So, I was the next person up for those specs and lucked out. Full MSRP (I was OK with that) and no options/accessories other than carpet floor mats. Yes, I live in the US and yes, it feels like Christmas came early. XD

Congrats! I'd love to see some exterior pics if you have any.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC88 View Post
Congrats! I'd love to see some exterior pics if you have any.

Sure, I'll try to take some over the weekend if the weather clears up. Honestly though, you'll see much better pictures from Toyota or something unless that's what you're going for - amateur with a phone versus a real photographer taking staged pictures with professional equipment.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav4_4Me View Post
Sure, I'll try to take some over the weekend if the weather clears up. Honestly though, you'll see much better pictures from Toyota or something unless that's what you're going for - amateur with a phone versus a real photographer taking staged pictures with professional equipment.

I saw a video of an XSE with that color. It was indoors and kinda dark, but I thought the trim and roof really blended well with the paint because they were all somewhat dark rather than high contrast. That interested me as a color combo. haven't really seen any photos of that combo. Just thought it would be good to see in better light. No sweat if you's rather not. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement