Remote start for hybrid? - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 Electric RAV4 Hybrid & EV Discuss anything Electric or Hybrid RAV4.5 (2019+) related.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 10:26 PM

Location: New Jersey - north west area where you don't parallel park
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
So if you order the Entune Audio Plus or Premium infotainment you get a FOB remote start like the one the dealer can install. If I start the hybrid via the FOB, that has nothing to do with the 6 month trial I'm assuming. Only if I want the App, will I have to pay the $80 per year. BTW Hyundai is $190 a year for remote start. I just wish the damn car would continue to run like her former Hyundai did and several other cars we test drove while looking for this.
I know the dealer did not know about the built in FOB remote start.
P.S. If you start/remote start a cold hybrid, the engine starts to warm up the coolant for the cabin heat. So you can enjoy 10 min of defrost. Any more is a waste of gas.
The Following User Says Thank You to MichaelB-NJ For This Useful Post:
jackie999 (04-07-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB-NJ View Post
So if you order the Entune Audio Plus or Premium infotainment you get a FOB remote start like the one the dealer can install. If I start the hybrid via the FOB, that has nothing to do with the 6 month trial I'm assuming. Only if I want the App, will I have to pay the $80 per year. BTW Hyundai is $190 a year for remote start. I just wish the damn car would continue to run like her former Hyundai did and several other cars we test drove while looking for this.
I know the dealer did not know about the built in FOB remote start.
P.S. If you start/remote start a cold hybrid, the engine starts to warm up the coolant for the cabin heat. So you can enjoy 10 min of defrost. Any more is a waste of gas.
As I've stated, the fob remote start feature is part of the Remote Connect connected service which is included with Entune Audio Plus and Entune Premium infotainment systems, there is no remote start hardware installed, the wireless remote fob communicates directly with the vehicle electronics, the phone app communicates with the Toyota Data Center and sends the signal by cellular data to the onboard DCM (data communication module) and performs whatever task that was requested, remote start, lock unlock or check status, I don't know the range limit, or it there is a range for the app to work, but theoretically it could be anywhere in the world as long as the phone and the vehicle have a cellular signal. The wireless remote fob has a limited range of about 75-100 feet max that I've experienced. Read reply #125 in the Mods discussion, the fob remote start capability will be disabled when the Remote Connect subscription expires. Some '18 Camry owners stated that the fob remote start quit working when Remote Connect expired, that's how we know it won't continue functioning without a subscription.

The Entune Premium Audio Dynamic navigation is another connected service that will cost owners to continue using after the trial, see the .pdf price list below for connected services cost.

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/197...ml#post2680479

https://corporatenews.pressroom.toyo...ccelerates.htm

https://www.toyota.com/content/entun...es_Pricing.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio Herrera View Post
Regarding remote start, I thought I would venture over to a Camry forum for some insight and it seems as though there are a lot of owners upset when they noticed they couldn't remote start with the key fob anymore. They saw a notice on the head unit display to renew their Remote Connect subscription and the remote start function being disabled.

So it looks as though remote start is something Toyota believes we should pay for as part of a subscription.

So I will way the option of paying monthly for it a couple months out of the year or purchasing an aftermarket plug and play unit later on down the road.

2019 XLE Premium AWD
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:59 AM

If it's NEW, then they should have made it "STAY RUNNING" after you open the door. I would have to say another "MISS" for Toyota when many other models include a FOB remote start (with no charges) and it stays running when you get into the car.

Maybe if they inform the salesman of this option, that would be a good idea. We were looking at a Highlander and the salesman told me the remote start was a dealer installed option.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Here in Canada I paid extra for an 'aftermarket remote starter'. The dealer said it will be part of the smart key (3 pushes etc) no separate fob.
I don't have a data plan so therefore don't care about the entune system and wouldn't pay a subscription for it.
I've also dusted off my Garmin nuvi to use. Now on to the mods posts ..my dashcam setup is next
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Our 2016 Subaru Crosstrek has keyfob remote start from the factory, the engine kills as soon as you open a door..stupid in my opinion. FYI my 2017 Ram 1500 dose not kill the engine when a door is opened.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie999 View Post
I don't have a data plan so therefore don't care about the entune system and wouldn't pay a subscription for it.
The Remote Connect app on the phone works on wifi as well as data to initiate requests, I don't use data at home, but can still start the Rav4 with the app, but this is a moot point for Canadian owners since Remote Connect isn't available in Canada....yet.

2019 XLE Premium AWD
The Following User Says Thank You to Quickdtoo For This Useful Post:
jackie999 (04-07-2019)
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Here in Canada I paid extra for an 'aftermarket remote starter'. The dealer said it will be part of the smart key (3 pushes etc) no separate fob.
I've also dusted off my Garmin nuvi to use. Now on to the mods posts ..my dashcam setup is next
Which brand of remote did you have installed at the dealer? Tyia
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno001 View Post
Which brand of remote did you have installed at the dealer? Tyia
I don't know...we only just bought the XSE yesterday and when paying I mentioned that I'd like the remote start and it was added. It's on my bill..that's all I know
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:53 PM

Spoke to the salesman and another "car prep" guy while dropping off my car to fix the memory seat problem. Neither knew about the auto start off the FOB on a 2019 RAV4 hybrid. They also look dumbfounded about he "all windows down" ability.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't know...we only just bought the XSE yesterday and when paying I mentioned that I'd like the remote start and it was added. It's on my bill..that's all I know
I think it's already part of the tech package.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page