Remote start for hybrid? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 Electric RAV4 Hybrid & EV Discuss anything Electric or Hybrid RAV4.5 (2019+) related.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Remote start for hybrid?

While I wait for an XSE to arrive here in Canada I'm planning ahead. Do I need a remote start? While it was the only option I *had* to have with my gas powered cars I was told by the HV salesman that, since the engine doesn't run you have no heat to warm the car ahead of time...makes sense. Are hybrid owners doomed to scraping ice off windows all winter long?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie999 View Post
While I wait for an XSE to arrive here in Canada I'm planning ahead. Do I need a remote start? While it was the only option I *had* to have with my gas powered cars I was told by the HV salesman that, since the engine doesn't run you have no heat to warm the car ahead of time...makes sense. Are hybrid owners doomed to scraping ice off windows all winter long?
The hybrid ICE should have the capability to run until it reaches operating temperature, and then stop/start mode is enabled.
EVs have a preheat option.
It will be interesting to see what the answer is here for the 2019 Hybrid.
Not having remote start capability would be a deal killer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Danno001 For This Useful Post:
jackie999 (03-28-2019)
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Garage
You 4.5 newbies can learn a lot about the Rav4 HV reading/searching in the 4.4 HV forum.

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/109...e-starter.html

2019 XLE Premium AWD

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I don't know about Canada but in the US we'll have the privilege of paying $8/month or $80/yr to use Toyota Remote Connect which will let us start our vehicles with our phones. I've also read that subscribing to Remote Connect activates remote start through the key fob as well but that's only from forum posts. It feels like Toyota is nickel and diming their customers when Honda and Nissan start including remote start on their mid-level trims and Mazda lets you buy their smartphone remote start for a one time charge of ~$450

Also, Toyota's remote start will turn off the engine once the door is opened for "safety"

There will probably be aftermarket remote starters available in a few months.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erigion View Post
There will probably be aftermarket remote starters available in a few months.
Here you go. Claims to work with standard and hybrid models. If you have push button, engine stops when door is opened, no way around it.

https://www.12volt.solutions/collect...-kit-smart-key
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the help! Yes, I would go for an after factory, installed by the dealership.
I was mainly wondering if it was worth it thou..with my current 'gas' vehicle I can start it and get it nice and toasty which makes it easier to clear the ice. I'll read the 4.4 forums as suggested to see if my answer is there.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie999 View Post
Thanks for the help! Yes, I would go for an after factory, installed by the dealership.
I was mainly wondering if it was worth it thou..with my current 'gas' vehicle I can start it and get it nice and toasty which makes it easier to clear the ice. I'll read the 4.4 forums as suggested to see if my answer is there.
The HV will do the same thing. Of course it does destroy your MPG. But in cold weather it'll run the ICE just to make cabin heat.

2016 Hybrid Limited with ATP.
The Following User Says Thank You to rdgrimes For This Useful Post:
jackie999 (03-28-2019)
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:11 PM

Location: New Jersey - north west area where you don't parallel park
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
My 2019 Rav4 hybrid limited has remote App start and remote FOB start. Nothing on my window sticker say "remote start". Yet it does ! And you open the door and it stops... if only it works like several other car company remote starts.

The dealer said the Highlander, we were looking at, would cost $500 to install. It's available as a 15 min install OEM product for $265.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB-NJ View Post
My 2019 Rav4 hybrid limited has remote App start and remote FOB start. Nothing on my window sticker say "remote start". Yet it does ! And you open the door and it stops... if only it works like several other car company remote starts.

The dealer said the Highlander, we were looking at, would cost $500 to install. It's available as a 15 min install OEM product for $265.
This is Toyota's Remote Connect of which you have a 6 month free trial. Afterwards, it's $8/month or $80/year.

https://www.toyota.com/content/entun...es_Pricing.pdf

You can install an aftermarket starter to keep the keyfob only remote start but there's no way to bypass the engine shutoff when a door opens. "Safety" my ass.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB-NJ View Post

As you've been told before, the remote start from the phone app and fob are part of Entune Remote Connect, it's a standard feature on all '19 Rav4s with Entune Audio Plus and Premium infotainment systems, it's not an optional feature that is added by itself and won't be on the monroney sticker, it's discussed in detail in the Mods Discussion in the General forum. When you register on www.toyotaowners.com you'll receive several emails with info, it's also available on the Entune website, but you won't find anything concerning the fob remote start as stated in the Mods discussion.

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/197...mods-rav4.html

2019 XLE Premium AWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page