Test Drove a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 Electric RAV4 Hybrid & EV Discuss anything Electric or Hybrid RAV4.5 (2019+) related.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrayoden View Post
I see all high-mileage models only going into the Netherlands market (and likely throughout Europe as well)... of course petrol prices higher there than in the states...but it is currently rising here too...Vonjot, when do you expect to receive your ordered XSE? Here in southern California the hybrid rav4’s are just trickling into dealers and being sold quickly...
Within 4 weeks from now. Still on that boat, but now it won't take long anymore. Things are quit different over here...

Ordered a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid AWD (XSE HV Premium) in Zircon Silver / Attitude Black.
For now my Black-and-Blue 2018 C-HR Hybrid Bi-tone Premium will do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I did another test drive yesterday on a different 2019 RAV-4 Hybrid. This one was mostly Interstate driving. There was a fairly strong headwind blowing, wind noise was more noticeable as was road noise, compared to my first test drive which was primarily at a lower speeds, however there was a head wind. The pavement was asphalt and wasn't especially course, I think the road noise would have been worse had the pavement been more course.The driver side outside mirror had a noticeable visual vibration but there was no noise associated with the movement of the mirror, but it certainly wasn't indicative of a quality component. Hopefully it was just an isolated bad mirror. Has anyone heard additional complaints about vibrating mirrors on the 2019's?

Most of the test drive was in ECO mode, the vehicle had no trouble maintaining 80 MPH up a moderate two mile grade. The interior was very tight with no rattles or squeaks. The CVT was smooth. Overall I was very satisfied with the Hybrid RAV-4, I was disappointed with the mirror issue and the increase in road noise
The Following User Says Thank You to hcfd1075 For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (04-10-2019)
post #23 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcfd1075 View Post
Has anyone heard additional complaints about vibrating mirrors on the 2019's?
Yeah - I've had a 2019 Rav4 LE gas model as rental car and I've test driven the adventure gas model and XSE hybrid. ALL have had the mirror issue. The gas models are particularly noisy and the hybrid is definitely noisier than my 2016 rav hybrid.

Honestly, I never once questioned the quality of my 2016 rav4 hybrid, my prior Solara or the camry, corolla or celica my family have owned. But this mirror issue and the engine noise, paired with the asinine pricing of the higher trim models have me seriously scratching my head about what Toyota is doing.
The Following User Says Thank You to ElectricStorm For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (04-10-2019)

post #24 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Well, might just be that Toyota has produced a major model update that wasn’t, and isn’t ready for sale quite yet. Most of the other car manufacturers have done the same. I’ve taken a past hit myself because I was too eager to wait.

First year production, and worse early production in the first model year, generally are not great to buy. Loud buzzy engine, clunky transmission, seem to be the biggest 2019 RAV culprits so far. I’d hate to pay $35,000 to be a beta tester for Toyota.

2020 will be much improved, I’m predicting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #25 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Since the “mirror noise” seems to be reported by several test drivers, it will be interesting to see if a new owner of a 2019 rav4 with the same issue is able to have Toyota address/fix the problem. It’s possible it’s just a matter of getting better torque on the bolts that hold the mirror to the vehicle. Or possibly it’s a matter of defective mirror component(s). This issue will likely get solved at the factory once the cause is identified. Typical first year/new model introduction issue that Toyota usually fixes before production begins...those willing to wait for the 2020 model will likely get a more bug-free product.
post #26 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricStorm View Post
My dealer had been reserving an XSE order for me and I drove it on Saturday (Blueprint, Premium Audio, just under $37K (US) MSRP). I have a 2016 Rav4 Hybrid XLE (extended lease until September).

Just on the surface:
- Love the way it drives, but not much more than my 2016
- Interior is nicer than my 2016 but not really by much. The biggest improvement, imho, is the larger entune screen. The seats were nice too.
- Was disappointed by the low resolution of the backup camera and the rear view mirror camera
- Premium audio was nice, but not really that much better than the standard audio system
- More engine noise than my 2016, no question
- Side mirrors were shaky, just like the 2019 gas models, which raises questions about body integrity (I'm a Toyota guy through and through - it takes a lot for me to have these concerns about a Toyota)

I told the dealer to work up numbers for a $0 down lease, and based on the excel model I had created and data I collected from the Edmunds lease forums, they made a pretty great offer (61% residual value, money factor of 0.001, sale price of $33,144). The monthly payment would have been $425 based on these numbers as well as equity on my trade in and tax benefits in my state. For perspective, I'm also looking at the brand new Forester in Limited trim, which, as of a month ago, would've been about $100/month less for the lease!

At the end of the day, I just couldn't justify paying $425/month for this car. While I like it a lot, it's not that much different from my 2016 XLE which was WAY less expensive (about $9K less on the sticker). I have until September to decide, but unless I find a great deal on this or something else before then, I'm thinking that I'll just buy my car and keep it for a little while.

That said, I do really like the car - just not enough more than my 2016 to justify it.

Thanks for this.

I have a 17 Rav XLE HV. So you don't think there is much noticeable difference with the so called sport tuned suspension of the XSE? While I have no expectations I was wondering how much different it would drive (better or worse) from say a 19 Limited HV. I'm considering either an XSE or Limited HV. But I'm not in a huge hurry and may wait until the 20s arrive. That's what happened when I ended up with the 17.
post #27 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
It is kind of surprising that Toyota didn't see some of these somewhat obvious issues in pre production vehicles and nip them in the bud.
I work for a Toyota dealership in the parts dept. and there was a notification sent out about how this new Rav4 was "the most important" new car launch in their history. I'm shocked they skimped on something as simple as a hood insulator on the gas model. Chump change to silence it up a little vs the rash of complaints about the noisy engine. Did their engineers/testers get so used to the noise they figured non issue? Multiple reports of mirror issues (that should be allot easier to solve than the noise). Also in the emails circulated it was mentioned how critical it was to report any potential issues, assembly problems, any slight defects etc. back to corporate ASAP so they could be addressed quickly. This car was a very BIG deal so to me a bit of a misfire initially. Things will be resolved, they have to if you want to keep selling 400'000+ a year and competition is not letting up either.
So we have ordered a hood insulator (which are on national back order) and hopefully if they allow me to do a blind test on back to back gas Ravs to see if our sales crew can tell the difference. I'd like to get db numbers as well. If it's quite noticeable perhaps we could offer the hood insulator to customers for our cost with free installation? This is just me thinking out loud but I did talk to one Of the sales guys and he's all for it.
On another note me and my fiancé have scheduled (yes scheduled) a test drive tomorrow in one of the new hybrids if one is still available to drive. Only a few have shown up and all higher end models sold sight unseen. Really looking forward to what should be a fairly long test drive and I also want to see how everything looks in the dark also. Often overlooked in test drives and then resulting in a WTH moment(s) the first times you drive in the dark. Keep you posted.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to skidad For This Useful Post:
Danno001 (04-03-2019), internalaudit (04-10-2019), Tacorav (04-03-2019)
post #28 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Looking forward to your long test drive thoughts... I can still walk away from my order and get my $500 back, but in all honesty I’m just hoping the 2019 Limited HV is worth buying.
post #29 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidad View Post
It is kind of surprising that Toyota didn't see some of these somewhat obvious issues in pre production vehicles and nip them in the bud.
I work for a Toyota dealership in the parts dept. and there was a notification sent out about how this new Rav4 was "the most important" new car launch in their history. I'm shocked they skimped on something as simple as a hood insulator on the gas model. Chump change to silence it up a little vs the rash of complaints about the noisy engine. Did their engineers/testers get so used to the noise they figured non issue? Multiple reports of mirror issues (that should be allot easier to solve than the noise). Also in the emails circulated it was mentioned how critical it was to report any potential issues, assembly problems, any slight defects etc. back to corporate ASAP so they could be addressed quickly. This car was a very BIG deal so to me a bit of a misfire initially. Things will be resolved, they have to if you want to keep selling 400'000+ a year and competition is not letting up either.
So we have ordered a hood insulator (which are on national back order) and hopefully if they allow me to do a blind test on back to back gas Ravs to see if our sales crew can tell the difference. I'd like to get db numbers as well. If it's quite noticeable perhaps we could offer the hood insulator to customers for our cost with free installation? This is just me thinking out loud but I did talk to one Of the sales guys and he's all for it.
On another note me and my fiancé have scheduled (yes scheduled) a test drive tomorrow in one of the new hybrids if one is still available to drive. Only a few have shown up and all higher end models sold sight unseen. Really looking forward to what should be a fairly long test drive and I also want to see how everything looks in the dark also. Often overlooked in test drives and then resulting in a WTH moment(s) the first times you drive in the dark. Keep you posted.
I'm afraid that they did see the loud engine complaints coming and just didn't care. The previous gen RAV4 didn't win many comparison tests and it looks like this new generation won't either but Toyota will outsell everyone else, except maybe the CR-V. Some accountant and executive probably figured they'd be able to save what? 40-50 bucks on each gas RAV4 they sold by not including hood insulation and multiplied that by 400k. That's around $20 million in cost savings. Even something as simple as the coin tray in the center console is eliminated except on Limited trims. That's a "$30" part they don't have to include. When you do your test drive at night, check to see how many of the door switches are illuminated because it sounds like that's another area where they put in some cost savings work.

I get that SUVs are more profitable for car makers than sedans and they need that profit because sedans are a dying segment but Toyota is really pushing it with the new RAV4.

Their worries about defects, assembly issues, and other issues is what they have to watch. People buy Toyotas because they're dependable and reliable. I guess they figured as long as the RAV4 is reliable and doesn't suffer from any defects, or they can correct any defects quickly, something like having a louder vehicle than the competition doesn't matter.

With all that said, I'll probably end up in a RAV4 hybrid anyway because I can no longer stomach seeing low 20s MPG on my Fuelly page.
post #30 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Test Drove a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid

In the FWIW category, your comment about nickel and dime cost cutting benefiting the manufacturers but costing owners isn’t confined to Toyota. It’s a full feature on every vehicle I have bought recently, period. Part of the landscape. Which is why I have no “fanboy” allegiance to any brand, instead focus on the best of the breed. That isn’t always one or the other, depending on the model. Being “clear eyed” rather than consumed with new car fever helps when shopping, too.

No big car corporation is in business other than for profit. That’s just reality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page