Prices Paid for 2019 RAV4 Hybrid - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 Electric RAV4 Hybrid & EV Discuss anything Electric or Hybrid RAV4.5 (2019+) related.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
I think you need to add if dealer financed or not as that affects their willingness to deal.
Also, isn't it a bit deceptive to post getting an additional $1K off for financing when you are paying a lot more for taking the financing? What % over how many months?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
But if you can pay it off in 2 months, the impact of the financing interest cost is offset by the additional "discount".
post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
But if you can pay it off in 2 months, the impact of the financing interest cost is offset by the additional "discount".
I've never financed a vehicle so I didn't know that's possible. Is this available in Canada as well?

post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Davebeats: at first glance your sales price looks fantastic at over $3k off msrp, but then the dealer hit you with a $995 “doc fee”. The doc fee has gotten to be such a problem recently regarding new auto purchases, that some states have put restrictions on how much car dealers can charge a customer (here in California the state caps this fee at $80) for what is essentially a dealer markup fee. If you havent taken delivery of your vehicle you should be able to negotiate a lower “doc fee”, or show your offer to a competing dealer and they would likely cut this fee to $200 or less. It’s real easy to let your guard down when you get to the finance manager, and they slip this large fee into the deal and you might not even notice it. Some of the fees they try to charge for maintenance and service contracts have gotten out of hand as well.
post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Apparently California dealers are charging $729 as an "advertising fee."

WTAF?
post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 05:30 PM

Location: New Jersey - north west area where you don't parallel park
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Sticker was $39,700. The $1k for financing, I was going to pay cash, now I pay it off in 2 payments and get that discount. $425 doc fee, $175 registration, state sales tax, and they took off their $299 etching fee. The etching is there, I could call the company if the insurance drops more then that yearly charge to register it. Another dealer closer to me adds $1k in paint and seat protection, plastic side guards and glass etching.
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I have to admit dealers are coming up with creative ways to add to their profit margins (e.g. glass etching, paint and seat protection, extravegent doc fees, advertising fees)...the bottom line is you have to keep alert thru the whole purchase transaction and be ready to walk if the dealer (especially the “finance person”) tries to charge you for these dealer packs. An apparent “great deal” can become very average deal when you think you’re just figuring out the financing terms.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimrayoden For This Useful Post:
Bluelowe (04-07-2019)
post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just visited a toyota dealership to discuss the purchase of a 2019 Rav4 Limited Hybrid (w/ tech package and premium audio) and they seem to be playing hard ball. Granted I am in SoCal where hybrids are extremely popular and gas is expensive, but I did not expect to encounter such resistance to negotiation. The MSRP is $39,184 and they added $5,000 in "dealership fees" (bs). They were not willing to go down from there and refused to take a deposit. They claimed it's first come first serve and the hybrids are selling as soon as they touch base on their lot.

I think they are full of sh*&. What do you folks think? The ridiculous dealership fee aside, are they right that I can't expect to negotiate down from MSRP? I'm seeing here that people are in fact paying MSRP for these things...
post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 06:48 AM

A simple way to avoid confusion and to accurately compare dealer prices is to ask for one number, the "Out The Door" price. Asking what they need a check for or what will the loan amount be simply compares apples to apples, and who care what columns they put the numbers in at the time the paperwork is done. At that point, I could care less what the "dealer prep fees" or the "finance fees" are. I have bought many cars over decades by asking for only one price.
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetime2131 View Post
I just visited a toyota dealership to discuss the purchase of a 2019 Rav4 Limited Hybrid (w/ tech package and premium audio) and they seem to be playing hard ball. Granted I am in SoCal where hybrids are extremely popular and gas is expensive, but I did not expect to encounter such resistance to negotiation. The MSRP is $39,184 and they added $5,000 in "dealership fees" (bs). They were not willing to go down from there and refused to take a deposit. They claimed it's first come first serve and the hybrids are selling as soon as they touch base on their lot.

I think they are full of sh*&. What do you folks think? The ridiculous dealership fee aside, are they right that I can't expect to negotiate down from MSRP? I'm seeing here that people are in fact paying MSRP for these things...
If you don't mind taking a road trip, I'd suggest looking in Oregon and Nevada. I got discount offers from both, ended up getting a dealer in Colorado to match those. I'm not comfortable posting the dealers names on the forum without their permission but I'll send you a private message latter today including a possible lead in Southern California.

It defeats part of the purpose of a hybrid to pay that much more than a non hybrid, so I was determined to get a fair price.
The Following User Says Thank You to pikeviewer For This Useful Post:
Primetime2131 (04-10-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement