Comparison between SXE suspension and Limited suspension - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 Electric RAV4 Hybrid & EV Discuss anything Electric or Hybrid RAV4.5 (2019+) related.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Location: Monterey, California Central Central California Coast
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Comparison between SXE suspension and Limited suspension

I haven't driven either model yet, and as the XSE and Limiteds are just becoming available, I thought it would be an interesting thread to actually compare the suspensions of these two models. While I personally don't off road, it would be nice to get owners to give some real world driving thoughts on just the suspension and ride quality of each. Sometimes, roads can be very rough or pot-holed, other times smooth. Let's see how each model performs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
I've been interested in the difference in handling between the two trims as well.

Oddly enough, this reviewer was in an XSE and called the handling "not very sporty" somewhere in the 13 minute mark. But at no time did he even recognize he was in an XSE vs a different trim HV. That fact went over his head. So while there was no direct comparison, one might think the XSE isn't a whole lot different in handling than the limited HV would be. But obviously we will have to decide for ourselves.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnC88 For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (04-10-2019), SpasticChildren (04-05-2019)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Thanked 1,063 Times in 883 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC88 View Post
I've been interested in the difference in handling between the two trims as well.

Oddly enough, this reviewer was in an XSE and called the handling "not very sporty" somewhere in the 13 minute mark. But at no time did he even recognize he was in an XSE vs a different trim HV. That fact went over his head. So while there was no direct comparison, one might think the XSE isn't a whole lot different in handling than the limited HV would be. But obviously we will have to decide for ourselves.
Matt is driving the XSE HV(blue seat stitching) and makes several comments on how it handles up until about 19:00, then he's shown driving and XLE Premium the rest of the video road scenes where he's in the driver's seat, they show many clips within the entire video that are totally different trims than he's shown driving.

2019 XLE Premium AWD
The Following User Says Thank You to Quickdtoo For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (04-10-2019)

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdtoo View Post
Matt is driving the XSE HV(blue seat stitching) and makes several comments on how it handles up until about 19:00, then he's shown driving and XLE Premium the rest of the video road scenes where he's in the driver's seat, they show many clips within the entire video that are totally different trims than he's shown driving.

Yeah, it's pretty annoying when they do something like that. But his specific handling comment around 13:25 comes while driving the XSE. If he wasn't referring to the vehicle he was in at the moment he should have better clarified that. Regardless of the trim he was driving, any comment about handling would have been better served to have noted there were two different suspension packages that presumably would not drive the same. He never once mentioned that.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Thanked 1,063 Times in 883 Posts
Garage
I'm waiting for Alex on Autos' full review of the '19 gas and HV, maybe by the time he does one, I'll be ready for another HV.

2019 XLE Premium AWD
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 06:12 PM

I'd like to see Alex discuss the XSE handling vs the other HV models. Seems that is a reasonably difference folks would want to know.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC88 View Post
I'd like to see Alex discuss the XSE handling vs the other HV models. Seems that is a reasonably difference folks would want to know.

I've only had my car for a day and haven't taken it off-roading (or even on the freeway) but it seems to handle just fine on crappy city streets. One thing I've noticed is the lack of lateral support when turning corners. My Highlander has arm rests on both the seat and the door while the Rav4 pretty much has just the center console which is quite low compared to my normal seating position. So, I couldn't rest my elbows on anything while driving and couldn't use anything to brace against during turns. My butt seamed to stay put but my back would slide a good 3-4 inches laterally for most turns. Then again, I'm used to cloth seats so that's a factor too.

As for vertical bumps from speed bumps/humps, potholes and driveways, I feel more but it's not uncomfortable. Again, this is comparing it to a Highlander which as is numb feeling as a Camry.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rav4_4Me For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (04-10-2019)
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Location: Monterey, California Central Central California Coast
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I have had a lot of viewing time on various videos talking about features, where the buttons are, the road clearance, etc. What I would like to see is someone really taking the two car models and driving them on different kinds of roads, but not necessarily off-road, which I don't do anyway. Is the XSE to stiff for highway or lesser roads with an uneven pavement? I do lean to the Limited because it has a couple of features on it that I'd like and are not available on the XSE. I realize that it is a little early for this topic as the models are just coming out, but I and others would appreciate comments about the differences in the suspension.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I took both versions out on test drives last Saturday, and ended up preferring the Limited's ride over that of the XSE. My route was over not-great city streets, and a few windy sections of road. I tried to duplicate the route with each ride. Limited, XSE, then back to the Limited. It seemed to me that the XSE's ride was a bit harsh, and (very unscientifically) there seemed to be a bit more road noise as well. Could this be due to the "harder" suspension? I really don't know. For reference, I'm coming from an older Tacoma double-cab, so I'm used to a pretty plush, body-roll prone, ride. The Limited seemed to handle the bends pretty well, but I wasn't able to take them at speed.
Honestly I'm not sure if I would have really noticed the ride difference if I wasn't actively looking for it- I decided to err on the side of comfort and go with a Limited, despite preferring the looks of the XSE.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to phays For This Useful Post:
Franzizou (04-10-2019), internalaudit (04-10-2019), JeffInMonterey (04-11-2019), JohnC88 (04-09-2019), VonJot (04-10-2019)
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Garage
^^^
On Toyotas, "sport tuned" usually means things like shocks and stabilizer bars. You won't notice big differences, but it should be apparent when hitting bumps at speed, hitting bumps in corners, etc.

Differences in road noise will be down to the OE tires, which will differ on different trim lines.

2019 Hybrid Limited
The Following User Says Thank You to rdgrimes For This Useful Post:
phays (04-13-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement