Predicted rate of price drop - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 Electric RAV4 Hybrid & EV Discuss anything Electric or Hybrid RAV4.5 (2019+) related.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Predicted rate of price drop

So was keen to get the hybrid 2019 RAV4 ASAP, but obviously very limited supply right now: we know you have to pretty much pay full retail or close to it today.

I called APA, which is an auto pricing service for the Toronto area up here in Canada: they indicated they could get a small savings now (and no extras the dealer might normally try to add...like nitrogen in tires, window etching, etc.).

But they advised I would be better to wait maybe 3 or 4 months, and by then after the initial demand surge has ended I should be able to get a more decent discount off of MSRP.

So I am just wondering how much that might be...and how long I would have to wait to optimize that?

I would want to have something now ideally, but I can wait until August.

Anyone have some experience with how this hot-new-model-only-at-list scenario will last? Is the APA guy right? Would late June or early July be notably better (how many $$ better)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Unread Today, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I'm milking my 2006 Saturn VUE for all its worth but I don't want to go into another winter with it. I read that the 2020 models should hit showrooms in November so I'm thinking they'll probably start "deeper" discounts come September... we shall see.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Unread Today, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
You should be able to get a decent discount now, I took a print up from one dealer offering $-2400 off, and another dealer honored it
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AutoFi.pdf (255.4 KB, 24 views)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Unread Today, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I thought like you..I can wait but why not enjoy it now. Sure, I'll pay more but I think the joy I'll be getting over the summer will be worth it. Best I could do, north of GTA, was just under 3% off. IIRC (from many years ago when I bought a new car) 5% was a good discount.
I really didn't think the `19's were all that much more than the '18's ..so I figured they're priced to sell, and probably will..quickly!
Good luck, I'll be watching what others think - good question
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Unread Today, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I think waiting 3 or 4 months (or more) is a good recommendation...if you look at the lesson of the 2019 rav4 (non-hybrid), which first showed at dealers in small quantities in December, and dealers were trying to get full MSRP then on those models...now, 4 months hence the same dealers have decent inventory of the gas model and are giving significant discounts off of MSRP. So it’s hard to predict if history will repeat itself for the 2019 rav4 hybrid, especially given Toyota’s plan to manufacture a smaller number of these compared to the gas model. I plan to wait at lease until September, and perhaps even until the 2020’s come out in November, as most of the discovered “bugs” in the 2019 will be identified and addressed by then.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Unread Today, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebeats View Post
You should be able to get a decent discount now, I took a print up from one dealer offering $-2400 off, and another dealer honored it
When they add $1757 in fees, that discount is not so impressive.

Those are the highest dealer fees I've ever seen.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Unread Today, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeviewer View Post
When they add $1757 in fees, that discount is not so impressive.

Those are the highest dealer fees I've ever seen.
That's part of the reason I went to another dealer, I sent that same attachment to three other dealers and went with the one I liked most.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Unread Today, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Dealer financing at over 6% is no bargain either...I just checked my credit union (USAA), and they offer a 2.89% financing on new cars if you purchase using their car buying service. And if you dont use their car buying service, the new car loan rate is still a competitive 3.39%.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Unread Today, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrayoden View Post
Dealer financing at over 6% is no bargain either...I just checked my credit union (USAA), and they offer a 2.89% financing on new cars if you purchase using their car buying service. And if you dont use their car buying service, the new car loan rate is still a competitive 3.39%.
Jimrayoden,

You can always have the best of both worlds...take the dealer financing at the higher rate and get $1000 in principle credit, then refinance the loan later through USAA. There is a minimum amount of time you have to hold the dealer loan for, I believe it is only around 60 days. So you only pay 6% for 2 months.

Sometimes auto loan refi rates are higher than initiation rates, so call USAA ahead of time to make sure the math will still work out in your favor. But (using theoretical numbers) on $25,000 of financing over 60 months, the refi rate would have to be like 2% higher than USAA's initiation rate to NOT be a favorable deal.

-OscarVB

2010 RAV4 base trim, 2.5L 4-cyl, AWD, Black exterior, Beige interior with highlights of melted ice cream/dog vomit , Third Row, Roof Rack, and not much else
125,000 miles, not one day off the road for mechanical stuff

New pads/rotors x2, new tires x3
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Unread Today, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebeats View Post

You have a trade in which means there is no way of really knowing the discount you got on the purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement