When to figure out pricing on pre-order? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 Electric RAV4 Hybrid & EV Discuss anything Electric or Hybrid RAV4.5 (2019+) related.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question When to figure out pricing on pre-order?

We ordered our 2019 Hybrid and it was allocated for us before pricing was available. Now pricing is available but I haven't heard form our Toyota sales person. Anyone have strategy around if I should force the pricing conversation now or have it later after we test drive the vehicle when it comes in?

Thanks,

heavylunch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
The dealer needs more than the MSRP and the official invoice price. Dealers get charged an advertising fee on each vehicle that varies by vehicle price and region. Then they get a discount called a holdback and another payment from Toyota to cover interest on loans dealers take out to cover the cost of having vehicles on the lot. Then there are additional incentives based on how many sales a dealer makes. Our dealer printed out all of those except for the sales based ones. Once a dealer has that info they can negotiate with you.

Do you have a date when the vehicle is due in? Do you have a vin number? If so, they should be able to bargain. Strong recommendation: Tell them that you want to be informed of any additional fees or charges that will be applied at the time of closing. My dealer tried to sneak in a "vehicle anti-theft registration fee" of $200 at the end that I had to throw a fit about before they would take it off.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavylunch View Post
We ordered our 2019 Hybrid and it was allocated for us before pricing was available. Now pricing is available but I haven't heard form our Toyota sales person. Anyone have strategy around if I should force the pricing conversation now or have it later after we test drive the vehicle when it comes in?
I was in the same boat. I put a deposit down on a car that the dealer had already ordered. The dealer originally wouldn't negotiate pricing because they said pricing wasn't available. In the mean time I've been looking at inventory at the other dealers in Oregon to see what they were doing with pricing. We only have one Toyota dealer within 200 miles so I wanted to buy the RAV4 locally but I was willing to drive the four hours to the bigger dealers if my local dealer wasn't at least close on pricing.

I didn't want to wait until my car came in at the end of the month to nail down the price only to find out my local dealer wasn't competitive so I contacted them yesterday and made them an offer. The big dealers in Oregon are advertising RAV4 Hybrids at about $1,750 off MSRP. I felt $1,500 off MSRP was fair since my local dealer doesn't sell anywhere near the number of cars that the big dealers sell so that's the offer I made and my local dealer accepted. Could I have got a better deal at the big dealers four hours away? Yes. But, I'm at a point in my life where I value less stress over more money.

Now that I have the pricing out of the way, it's just a matter of driving to the dealer and picking the car up. If I would have bought the car at one of the big dealerships, it literally would have taken all day - like 12 hours or more.

Soooo, my "strategy" isn't the one to follow if you want a rock bottom price but locking the price down before the car arrives should make the buying process faster and less stressful.
The Following User Says Thank You to bertschb For This Useful Post:
spmurphy (04-11-2019)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I still haven't figured out what I am going to do but I appreciate the feedback.

I thought about getting the pricing figured out with my current dealership now, but then getting a quote from Costco Auto too if the price is higher than I expect but I haven't done it yet.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
I was in the same boat. I put a deposit down on a car that the dealer had already ordered. The dealer originally wouldn't negotiate pricing because they said pricing wasn't available. In the mean time I've been looking at inventory at the other dealers in Oregon to see what they were doing with pricing. We only have one Toyota dealer within 200 miles so I wanted to buy the RAV4 locally but I was willing to drive the four hours to the bigger dealers if my local dealer wasn't at least close on pricing.

I didn't want to wait until my car came in at the end of the month to nail down the price only to find out my local dealer wasn't competitive so I contacted them yesterday and made them an offer. The big dealers in Oregon are advertising RAV4 Hybrids at about $1,750 off MSRP. I felt $1,500 off MSRP was fair since my local dealer doesn't sell anywhere near the number of cars that the big dealers sell so that's the offer I made and my local dealer accepted. Could I have got a better deal at the big dealers four hours away? Yes. But, I'm at a point in my life where I value less stress over more money.

Now that I have the pricing out of the way, it's just a matter of driving to the dealer and picking the car up. If I would have bought the car at one of the big dealerships, it literally would have taken all day - like 12 hours or more.

Soooo, my "strategy" isn't the one to follow if you want a rock bottom price but locking the price down before the car arrives should make the buying process faster and less stressful.
My family and I didn't get the best price off MSRP on our ordered hybrid. BUT we weren't stressed, made it a family affair to have kids understand the cost of a car, we were only at the dealer an hour to test drive and submit order, we got the exact configuration and color we wanted, and there were no fees besides normal TTL.

Least stressful dealer experience I've had to date, exactly what I wanted.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Contact or stop by several dealers and have them price a RAV4 identical to the one you have on order. Get a price quote from them. Assuming there will always be a low price offer, you can negotiate from there.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
A lot depends on where you live and what distributors do between the port of entry and the car arriving on your dealers lot. I suggest getting a list of distributor add ons if you are in the Southeast or Gulf regions. Then ask about dealer add ons. Documentation fees. Prep fees. Between these two, they can add thousands. Which is why I have gone by train to pick up a car 275 miles away with no add ons and a discount and been out the door in 20 minutes with no surprises.

This early in the delivery cycle, you may not have much leverage. Or then again there are folks who got discounts though how much they actually got is often conceeled in trade-in and financing as well as those add ons that are almost pure profit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page