Lights in the door switches for night time driving - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 Electric RAV4 Hybrid & EV Discuss anything Electric or Hybrid RAV4.5 (2019+) related.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Lights in the door switches for night time driving

I haven't driven a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid at night, but I saw a You Tube video in which showed the lighting inside a new RAV4 and there was an absence of lighting for any of the control switched in the doors. Is this true that the door switches are without any lighting assistance when driving at night with one's lights on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
It looks like there's no switch lighting for the back seats at all

https://youtu.be/-MEtRgr6uj4?t=426

The driver's door has only one door switch light for the driver's window. Wouldn't be surprised if the passenger's side is like the back seats with no lit door switches at all.

https://youtu.be/-MEtRgr6uj4?t=468

Toyota really being cheap with certain things on the new RAV4
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Garage
This isn't new. My '16 Rav4 is the same way.

2016 Hybrid Limited with ATP.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:08 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
It’s little things like this that companies like Kia are getting right, and it really makes their products seem a step ahead in terms of luxury or completeness.

Other little things Kia has: power passenger seat. Heated steering wheel that isn’t just two spots. Projector headlights instead of reflectors. LED fog lights. Etc etc
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit View Post
Itís little things like this that companies like Kia are getting right, and it really makes their products seem a step ahead in terms of luxury or completeness.

Other little things Kia has: power passenger seat. Heated steering wheel that isnít just two spots. Projector headlights instead of reflectors. LED fog lights. Etc etc

I kind of chuckle reading these things having one of their platforms. While the Kia/Hyundai nameplate is attempting to compete; their follow through is poor at best. There is no way they are in the same class as Toy/Hon/Nis. God help you if you do not have a relationship with your dealer providing service.

While it seems Honda is playing the same game with the 1.5l...I would still roll the dice with Honda before I would ever even ponder the thought of thinking of maybe buying another KIA/Hyundai branded vehicle. I have never owned a Honda.

2013 Ford Fusion Titanium
2011 Hyundai Sonata Ltd (to be replaced)
The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:
paperboy (Yesterday)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM

Well, Colonel, I don’t know what your experience is but I’m coming from back to back Kia’s in the same price range as the RAV4 Hybrid I’ve bought, and despite what you may think, there is definitely some minor downgrading happening going to toyota. I’m not sure how you can argue with a straight face that having a manual passenger seat is better, or having a heated steering wheel with two small heating points is better, or that a RAV4’s lack of acoustic glass in the windshield is better, etc, etc.

I am more than happy to take those downgrades for the sake of 40mpg though. I’d like to mention Toyota reliability also, but in 8 years of Kia ownership I’ve only had to replace 1 small interior item (auto light shifter had an issue, warranty covered and rental car issued) and 1 turbo hose (also warranty covered and rental car issued, and shame on me for buying a turbo at all, but that isn’t Kia specific).
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks to all that have replied to my post on the door lighting.

I must say that I am considering the RAV4 Hybrid because I currently have to Toyota Prius ( a 2011 and a 2016 model 4) They are by far the most economical and low maintenance cars that I have owned and that includes 5 Hondas. I did do a test drive of a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid Limited and I found that it had plenty of power, satisfactory motor noise, and in general drove nicely. I am also impressed by its projected fuel consumption. What I didn't like was the observed vibration is the drivers side review mirror - the lack of height adjustment in the passengers seat and now confirmation that the lighting in the door switches at night is practically non existent. Because I am committed to getting another hybrid and I trust the reliability of Toyota products I am also looking at the new Lexus UX 250H which is also a hybrid and has the same projected MPG as the 2019 RAV4 Hybrid. While the UX 250 is smaller and has a limited carrying capacity it is significantly quieter, handles better, has wonderful adjustable seats for both the driver and passenger. It also has fully lit door switches and auto folding outside mirrors that automatically tilt down when backing up to assist when parking. Has anyone else looked at the Lexus UX?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM

I also looked at the Lexus, and I agree, for the same price you get more or less the same economy with more refinement and a fair bit less space. We are going with the RAV4 because we still want to have a decent sized SUV in the home.

Interesting that you mention the auto tilt down parking assist and auto folding mirrors, two more features that my current Kia have that the RAV4 does not.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Interesting that you mention the auto tilt down parking assist and auto folding mirrors, two more features that my current Kia have that the RAV4 does not.
The XSE hybrid does...

Ordered a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid AWD (XSE HV Premium) in Zircon Silver / Attitude Black.
For now my Black-and-Blue 2018 C-HR Hybrid Bi-tone Premium will do.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonJot View Post
Quote:
The XSE hybrid does...
Are you certain? When I test drove a Limited non-hybrid, the mirrors did not fold when the vehicle was locked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement