Why are 2019 rav4 hybrid inventories so low? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 Electric RAV4 Hybrid & EV Discuss anything Electric or Hybrid RAV4.5 (2019+) related.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Why are 2019 rav4 hybrid inventories so low?

Looking for forum member opinions on why the 2019 rav4 hybrid inventory levels at dealers is so low? I realize it is early in production of this model, but it does seem that the hybrids have been trickeling in to dealers by one or two each (if that). For example, I have been watching dealer inventories at the 3 largest AutoNation Toyota dealers in Orange County (CA) which can be viewed on their “New Inventory” homepage. And while the list has slowly been increasing in numbers (currently 44 hybrids listed at all 3 dealers, specifying vin numbers and each car’s packages and options, colors, etc.). However, 90% of these cars are also listed as “In transit”, which I assume means they havent hit the dealer lots yet. In fact it appears only 5 hybrids are all at one of the dealer lots (Cerritos). Since the majority of the “in transit” vehicles are japanese-manufactured, perhaps there is a large boat that hasnt hit ports or been unloaded yet. And with the small number of US rav4 hybrids listed, perhaps Toyota is having problems getting up to speed in manufacturing the hybrids at the US factories?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrayoden View Post
Looking for forum member opinions on why the 2019 rav4 hybrid inventory levels at dealers is so low? I realize it is early in production of this model, but it does seem that the hybrids have been trickeling in to dealers by one or two each (if that). For example, I have been watching dealer inventories at the 3 largest AutoNation Toyota dealers in Orange County (CA) which can be viewed on their “New Inventory” homepage. And while the list has slowly been increasing in numbers (currently 44 hybrids listed at all 3 dealers, specifying vin numbers and each car’s packages and options, colors, etc.). However, 90% of these cars are also listed as “In transit”, which I assume means they havent hit the dealer lots yet. In fact it appears only 5 hybrids are all at one of the dealer lots (Cerritos). Since the majority of the “in transit” vehicles are japanese-manufactured, perhaps there is a large boat that hasnt hit ports or been unloaded yet. And with the small number of US rav4 hybrids listed, perhaps Toyota is having problems getting up to speed in manufacturing the hybrids at the US factories?
Not sure but it's driving me nuts trying to get deals in so cal for that very reason. I currently have one earmarked for me thats scheduled build date is 4/25 in canada. Dealer is claiming delivering 8-10 days after but we'll see. The offer on that is full msrp but no additional fees like other dealers are trying to tack on.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Early adopters of a new and/or desireable product often pay top dollar for said product. Sales of the 2019 rav4 (gas model) are down over 8% in the 1Q19, causing dealers to discount the gas model heavily to keep sales moving. Inventories of the 2019 rav4 hybrid are currently miniscule, and coupled with high demand for it are causing dealers to try and sell them at MSRP (or higher). We potential buyers can either play their game or take a breath and wait a few months for supply to meet demand and prices begin to stabilize and hopefully come down.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
The same thing happened in 2016 with the very first Rav HV. The whole model year dealers in SoCal had next to no inventory of any trim level. Why? Who knows. When the new model year came around, inventory started flowing and I bought a 17. If you can be patient it will resolve itself. If you have to buy now you will be at a disadvantage on pricing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnC88 For This Useful Post:
Jimrayoden (04-17-2019), Nader Iskandar (04-22-2019)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Replay of 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC88 View Post
The same thing happened in 2016 with the very first Rav HV. The whole model year dealers in SoCal had next to no inventory of any trim level. Why? Who knows. When the new model year came around, inventory started flowing and I bought a 17. If you can be patient it will resolve itself. If you have to buy now you will be at a disadvantage on pricing.
JohnC88: thanks for sharing that info on the 2016 model year rav4 HV inventory challenges (and resolution: wait for new/next model year). My intuition told me this was the answer, but I was not aware 2019 is an instant replay of 2016 rav4 HV rollout. For those of us willing to wait, the 2020 model year is not that far off!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimrayoden For This Useful Post:
Nader Iskandar (04-22-2019)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrayoden View Post
JohnC88: thanks for sharing that info on the 2016 model year rav4 HV inventory challenges (and resolution: wait for new/next model year). My intuition told me this was the answer, but I was not aware 2019 is an instant replay of 2016 rav4 HV rollout. For those of us willing to wait, the 2020 model year is not that far off!

Yeah, I went through the exact same thing only worse back then. There are definitely more HVs available this time but for sure it's still pretty slim pickings if you want a good deal. They are also loading up the few that get here with more stuff than I want. I'd like to go down and drive an XSE and a Limited when they get some on the lot. But I'm not chasing them.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Honestly, I don’t see the 2020 model year just solving the shortage. The shortage will slowly disappear as the kentucky plant comes online and production ramps up. You’ll likely do just as well to put down a small payment and reserve one now if you want it.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:06 AM

Location: New Jersey - north west area where you don't parallel park
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
In Jersey, you never use to see any hybrid cars. Gas here is always dirt cheap at $2.20 now hitting $2.65. So hybrids are not common except for the Prius models, old and new models. And some of those are with PA plates, driving some 50+ miles one way to good paying jobs in the larger Jersey cities. We have had Hyundai cars for the past 15 years, never say a hybrid on the dealer's lot nor other dealers's lot when we would check other cars before buying another Hyundai. I picked up a 2016 Sonata Hybrid just over 2 years ago. I was retiring and did not need a 4WD as we had my wife's car who retired the year before. Getting 44 mpg we drove everywhere. My wife got tired of her 2014 and low and behold after looking at $55K Chevy to Audi AWD cars she chose a Rav4 hybrid.

I don't think the dealers knew how popular this version of the hybrid would be. There were two 2018's in the showroom, discounted some $5k and a 2018 Highlander hybrid too. I just think the Rav4 gas was so terrible, they just never asked for that many.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC88 View Post
Hi John,
Do you recall when did 2016 model release and when did 2017 release? I'm thinking to wait for 2020 to buy, since 2019 HV has just barely made it to the dealer, I'm wondering when will 2020 hit the lot?

Thanks!!!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
We are looking for an XLE Hybrid in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and are having an issue with getting one. Inventory is very low. The dealer we are working with is looking for one. Some dealers are very reluctant to let go of the inventory they may have. If they do have any its the XSE or the Limited model. There are no XLE models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page