Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Accessing back seat battery

10K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  rdgrimes 
#1 ·
I need power for trailer lights, and I understand it's easy to get to under the back seat in the hybrid, (instead of running a power line all the way to the battery in the engine compartment).

My brief attempt to remove the back seat stopped because I thought I was going to break something pulling it out.

Is there a trick to getting the back seat out?
Is the power readily available under the seat for a trailer light converter?

Thanks!

#5 ·
Right rear side pocket for storage <it may have a net> has a handhold for your fingers on the inside top, pull the whole thing out. Follow the seam around the outside it will give you an idea how big it is. You also have to remove the floor cover for the spare. Did it already. Limited trim.

#6 ·
I think what Tanakao is saying is that this is how you can access the power line to the power point / cigarette lighter port in the very right rear of the cargo compartment. I checked and our XLE with convenience package has a power point there, with its own removable access plate and the larger one for the pocket storage just below it as described above. That's how I'll have my auto electrics guy power my Curt hitch wiring harness.

#8 ·
I get that, but since the OP was asking about how to power the trailer wiring harness, wouldn't the hot wire into the power point / cigarette lighter be a much better choice than running other hot wires from the 12v battery? Only if you had that power port supplying juice to something else while towing would it seem to be any downside to tapping into its red wire for the towing wiring harness.

#10 ·
Interesting! I've been towing small to midsized sailboats on trailers for over 30 years all over the left coast, and never had a towing wiring system that was hot all the time. Never had to use the emergency flashers with the ignition off, but most of these boats were small enough that the tow vehicle's lights are clearly visible. But as they say, "To every cat his own rat". Cheers!

#11 ·
I've been towing since the '60s including a 3100 miles cross-country trip towing a boat in December of 1970, have done my own maintenance and modifications until I retired 17yrs ago, still do some things including wiring and hitch installations, on modern vehicles I follow instructions to avoid electronic issues, it's the best option IMO.

#12 ·
Quickdtoo and others... Thank you.

My Tekonsha 118801 T Connector comes in tomorrow, and I'll post again after I finish wiring it. It comes with a round connector and a fuse to connect directly to a battery, and that's exactly what I'll do. The battery and the 12v outlet are practically next to each other under the same access hatch, so connecting to the battery will be easier and will carry more amperage than the small wire that generally supplies outlets.

My Curt hitch had a "hitch" in its delivery. It came in Saturday, and when I took it out of the box it was obviously not the hitch for the Rav4. I looked at the paperwork, and it fits an Acura MDX. They sent me a Curt 13146 instead of a Curt 13416. Clearly it's their mistake because my order says 13416. I'll deal with that tomorrow. (Sigh)

#13 ·
I had a question regarding the 12v battery access.

First, a rant. The panel that you have to remove with the "12 claws" (as the owner's manual refers to them) was a MAJOR PITA to get off. Totally ridiculous. It took me like 15min and several attempts with various different tools until I found something that worked. I was certain I was going to break the thing.

Anyway, if I just want to disconnect the 12V battery power temporarily which terminal should I disconnect? It looks like the positive terminal would be easiest. I don't know what the heck is going on with the negative terminal, it's got a massive block of connections going to it so I think it's best to avoid it.

Does it matter which terminal I disconnect? I have attached an image.

Attachments

#15 ·
Does it matter which terminal I disconnect? I have attached an image.
Always disconnect the ground first. Generally the ground is attached to the entire chasis on the car. If you remove it and it contacts something else, no problem. If, on the other hand, you remove the positive ternimal first and it inadvertently contacts any other metal or conductor in the car, the best outcome would be a big spark. The other possible outcomes include damaging major components and death.

#16 ·
Thanks a lot for the tip to remove the negative terminal first. I will do that.

Are there any illustrations/videos on how to remove the negative terminal? There is more than one nut on the negative terminal in addition to some clips holding the contact ring to the terminal and also an extra electrical cable that goes to...somewhere...looks like it can be disconnected as well with a plastic clip. What is the procedure for disconnecting the negative terminal?

I have attached an annotated image.

Attachments

#19 ·
The positive terminal shown in the first image was covered by a red cap with a '+' sign on it that is custom fit to that terminal only. So I know I have the pos/neg terminals correct.
I believe the positive terminal is closest to the front on the of the car with a red cover and the negative is closets to the tail light.
Yes, correct, that is how the battery is oriented.
loosen nut #1 wiggle the terminal and pull up, once its off swing it out of the way so it can't contact the battery
Thanks. I guess I just have to figure out how to push those 2 clips out of the way at the same time as pulling up on the contact ring. It's going to be difficult there is very little room to maneuver.

#18 ·
I believe the positive terminal is closest to the front on the of the car with a red cover and the negative is closets to the tail light. loosen nut #1 wiggle the terminal and pull up ,once its off swing it out of the road so it can't contact the battery . positive symbol + red

negative symbol -black or green.

#21 ·
I believe the positive terminal is closest to the front on the of the car with a red cover and the negative is closets to the tail light. loosen nut #1 wiggle the terminal and pull up ,once its off swing it out of the road so it can't contact the battery . positive symbol + red

negative symbol -black or green.

If that's so then the terminals are the opposite of the previous generation Rav4 and Camry Hybrid's battery. Hopefully the extra plastic pieces around both terminals won't prevent using an aftermarket battery in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.