3rd week with XSE - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 Electric RAV4 Hybrid & EV Discuss anything Electric or Hybrid RAV4.5 (2019+) related.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Time to leave for work. Garage door opens, cold wind 2 degrees celsius hits my face, partly sunny. Rav sitting on laneway just as I left it, neighbor didn't park too close. Good. Walked right up to the Rav, hand on handle door unlocks immediately. Seats quite soft, nice thud close of door and pushed button to start. No sound of engine EV mode must be on. Graphics on start up, that new car smell. Into gear, gentle hum car moves ahead.

You would think I'm use to it now after 3 weeks but I'm not. It's still quite exciting getting into this XSE Rav for my 7k commute to work. It's very comfortable for a non luxury SUV in this trim level. I think I've gotten good value for what this vehicle is. Even though it would have been nice to get a better deal if i could have waited. My previous car would not have made however. Would have gotten better bargaining power with new car if was sitting on lot and close to year en for sure. Figured I should get exactly what I want beforehand and that's what I did and placed my order early waited the 2 months and that's why I paid basically full MSP.

Reading here many people have to wait longer for this model makes me feel like I got something special. I however do wish people to just be patient and try wait out for what they want. When you spending your hard earned paycheck you should get what u want. Hopefully it's just a supply and demand issue Toyota has and they could ramp up production to not disappoint the customers waiting.

Starting the Rav4 is a pleasure with the quietness of EV mode it feels like the future. It feels like I got something new and it's not just a regular car, almost like the feeling of getting into a Tesla. The simplicity of the Tesla dash is just awesome the Rav doesn't come close to it, but at least it's not as overly styled as most of its competitors. I really do like the layout of the dash. If it's colder out and you also turn on the heat immediately after getting in the ICE will start up and you miss that quietness however, if only i lived in California!

The start up graphics of the Toyota and Rav4 logo are now getting tired after 3 weeks. I wish there was a way that I could get rid of it easily. Why do I need to be reminded each and every time on start up. I already know what kind of car I have right? I think I remember reading their might be a hack to choose your own image using A USB thumb drive and sizing and naming your image a certain way...something I will investigate further and try if doable. If anyone here reading this can Throw some shade on this would be great!

On the sun visor I placed a black sticker over the airbag warning label. I used a trackpad sticker that was on a 2016 Macbook that I got from DBrand. It works perfectly. That harsh yellow label really annoyed me before. I will also put a sticker over the reminder light that's on dash below climate control. Why does this need to be ever present I don't know. Especially when I will be driving it daily for hopefully 10 years.

I love the sound of audio system even if it's the basic. Nothing to complain about for my late 40's hearing ability. The controls for audio though leave alot to be desired. Switching between Xm satellite radio easily and stations and regular radio seems to be a chore and it's not like I don't get tech, Entune coukd use a update.

I wish the display could be adjusted to just show one feature like just radio instead of at least 2 to 4. It can all seem distracting. At least you could choose between dark mode and a few light modes. At first it was neat seeing the graphic of energy flow between EV mode and ICE but now just not needed as much, unless to show off to the noobs.

Alot of people still don't get hybrids I discovered as I get alot of questions when I tell friends I drive one, like how long do you plug it in for and where and how long it lasts and you still need gas? I think Toyota could do alot better to educate the masses with commercials in Hybrids and if they do adoption could be faster especially when the price difference between the two models is not so significant. I would like to see no gas models versions beginning in 2021, cuz what's the point?

I filled up gas again and meter showed me 834 km until empty. After second day and only 20km driven it showed me 740 or so km until empty and displaying 6.7L per 100km... hmmmmm. Am I neglectful now on conserving energy. Am I too heavy footed on gas pedal? I'm not driving on highway . My drive selection is eco mode. I'll monitor again this week and hope to get back to 5.7L per 100km.

The front door bottle holders are great it can hold a tall water bottles with ease ....daughter splashed pop on dashboard already but it was easily cleaned off the soft touch material... dog's paws are starting to scratch inside door handle slightly especially by the window switch- he's smart he already discovered how to lower window himself like the last car, should I put some sort of protection there??

I adjusted the liftgate to not so high for wife she a shordy 5'4 but I banged my head 2 times already so switched it back she will just have to go on her toes..was hoping by accident Toyota put the foot activated switch below rear bumper, tried but no such luck!

Car drives smooth handles the train tracks and small potholes like a champ. The mudguards do not match the glossy black fenders I noticed but does match the tire! 😉

Lane tracing assist (LTA) I am contemplating turning off for city driving. If no cars around me and I don't signal ras ting keeps beeping. I know its a great safety feature but geeze...

Fog lights are yellow looking compared to LED headlights... what if i changed them to blue one day or if there was some sort of plastic lens cover in blue? That could look really neat with the hybrid blue Toyota logo and blue shocks and blue stitching inside and blue license plate cover! Hmmm do i care that much? Why am I here writing all this??? O yaa I'm still excited and want to share and want to learn more about Toyota's best seller!

Hmmm, how will I feel after one month?! I'll keep yaa posted!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3F696B1E-68F2-4CC3-A7E2-8AAE419EE54A_1556563112746.jpg (134.9 KB, 44 views)
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Don Gorgon For This Useful Post:
alpha06 (05-01-2019), hcfd1075 (04-30-2019), jackie999 (04-29-2019), JeffInMonterey (04-30-2019), rammysohal (05-01-2019), Riley5781 (04-30-2019), TinTin (04-30-2019), VonJot (04-29-2019), willee51 (05-04-2019), wsdp (04-30-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Good story! Regarding the fuel consumption: you will need to adapt your driving style tot "pulse-and-glide". This will need to be learned tho! best way to explain: pull up to jus a little faster than the desired speed, release the throttle and gently push the throttle again. You will notice the EV light comes up, and will stay there until the hybrid battery drains and the ICE will start up to recharge. That won't take too much time, so the EV light will soon re-appear.
Next part is the braking: just avoid too much use of the brake pedal. Use the regeneration of the drivetrain to slow down, and only use the brakes when absolutely necessary.
Another tip on massive energy saving: only use the climate control when needed! That ******* will grab 10-15% of your MPG!!!
Finally use the adaptive cruise control as good and much as possible when you're out of town. Try to connect to any preceding vehicle, and you will find out how awesome that works. The system will dot the speeding up and slowing down for you, even on a roundabout it will not shut off the ACC! That is new in Safety Sense 2.0...
Conclusion: there is much to learn, and eventually gain if you do it right.

Happy learning; ik went from 33-35 to 45-48 MPG just by trying to drive as economic as possible. And no, i'm not an old, slow grandpa (although i am one!), and sometimes just a little a** at the traffic lights. But after that fun just keep the max allowed speed, and do what needs to be done in a hybrid.

Cheers, Rob

2019 RAV4 Hybrid AWD Innovation (EU)
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Be sure to post if you find that start-up graphic hack.

Also, the fog lights are yellow for a reason. That frequency increases contrast, good idea in the fog, Check out "aviator glasses", not just the frame style, they are amber to highlight contrast. I used to rock climb, amber tinted sunglasses were very useful in making possible routes more distinct. The Rav4's lights looked to be white in pictures I've seen, glad to hear they are yellow.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Thanked 1,051 Times in 874 Posts
Garage
Custom startup and screen off images support is likely the same as the original Entune, I haven't done my '19 yet tho, did on my '16 Ltd HV tho.

2019 XLE Premium AWD
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdtoo View Post
Custom startup and screen off images support is likely the same as the original Entune, I haven't done my '19 yet tho, did on my '16 Ltd HV tho.

This is great 👍🏾 Thanks! Will try within a few weeks. I noticed it still has an initial Toyota logo but still..good
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpedit View Post
Be sure to post if you find that start-up graphic hack.

Also, the fog lights are yellow for a reason. That frequency increases contrast, good idea in the fog, Check out "aviator glasses", not just the frame style, they are amber to highlight contrast. I used to rock climb, amber tinted sunglasses were very useful in making possible routes more distinct. The Rav4's lights looked to be white in pictures I've seen, glad to hear they are yellow.
Didn't know about this yellow light and frequency. Interesting. I'm not sure if it's as yellow as the aviator you mention however. I think its just off white in comparison to the LED headlights. As the fog lights are not LED but halogen i think. I've included a picture for you to see below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2AA1AB2B-40CD-43BF-8C87-7DEB4B05F913_1556575016153.jpg (86.6 KB, 24 views)
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonJot View Post
Good story! Regarding the fuel consumption: you will need to adapt your driving style tot "pulse-and-glide". This will need to be learned tho! best way to explain: pull up to jus a little faster than the desired speed, release the throttle and gently push the throttle again. You will notice the EV light comes up, and will stay there until the hybrid battery drains and the ICE will start up to recharge. That won't take too much time, so the EV light will soon re-appear.
Next part is the braking: just avoid too much use of the brake pedal. Use the regeneration of the drivetrain to slow down, and only use the brakes when absolutely necessary.
Another tip on massive energy saving: only use the climate control when needed! That ******* will grab 10-15% of your MPG!!!
Finally use the adaptive cruise control as good and much as possible when you're out of town. Try to connect to any preceding vehicle, and you will find out how awesome that works. The system will dot the speeding up and slowing down for you, even on a roundabout it will not shut off the ACC! That is new in Safety Sense 2.0...
Conclusion: there is much to learn, and eventually gain if you do it right.

Happy learning; ik went from 33-35 to 45-48 MPG just by trying to drive as economic as possible. And no, i'm not an old, slow grandpa (although i am one!), and sometimes just a little a** at the traffic lights. But after that fun just keep the max allowed speed, and do what needs to be done in a hybrid.

Cheers, Rob
I love the tips Rob nuff thanks, 🙏🏾there's so much to learn and to create new driving habits with the hybrid. I will try the pulse and glide approach and yes my first experience with the ACC was awesome and will use it every time while on long highway drives for sure!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Gorgon View Post
Didn't know about this yellow light and frequency. Interesting. I'm not sure if it's as yellow as the aviator you mention however. I think its just off white in comparison to the LED headlights. As the fog lights are not LED but halogen i think. I've included a picture for you to see below.
Looks like a good frequency for fog driving! We use to consistently have fog here for two to three weeks at the end of December where those lights would have been handy For some reason, the fog has dissappeared.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Be careful about adding blue lenses to the fog lights. It may be straight forward to do but also illegal. Blue lights are generally reserved for police vehicles. You could get a ticket for it even if it's not the same shade or intensity and doesn't flash. I would recommend just replacing the stock light bulbs with LEDs. I've seen a few pictures so far and some cool white lights have a slight blue tinge. This is a cheap option and easy to do yourself.

FYI H16 bulbs have the same connection as H11 headlights except they operate on lower wattages. With 2 different H11 LEDs I've measured, they draw about 1.7-1.8A each. This puts it slightly over the 20 watt recommended bulb for halogen that the vehicle comes with.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Gorgon View Post
Hi Don,

Toyota sells OEM LED replacements for the fog lights that match the temperature of the headlights. They are part # PT413-42191. They are pretty reasonable and easy to install (plug and play). There is another thread on here about that replacement. I am not sure why Toyota decided to go with traditional lighting for the fog lights, especially when they already make LED ones that are plug and play....

My Album
2019 RAV4 Hybrid Limited Magnetic Grey
[Sold] 2012 RAV4 Limited Pyrite 3.5L V6 4WD 5DR
[Sold] 2008 RAV4 Gold 3.5L V6 4WD 5DR
[Sold] 2001 RAV4 Silver 2.0L 2WD 5DR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page