Disappointed with Hybrid Trims - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 Electric RAV4 Hybrid & EV Discuss anything Electric or Hybrid RAV4.5 (2019+) related.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Disappointed with Hybrid Trims

I feel like Toyota really dropped the ball on the trim levels for the hybrid models. In my opinion, they should have skipped the LE hybrid and offered the XLE Premium as a hybrid. First off, it would shift the price point up which would be to their advantage. Also, who really is willing to purchase a bare bones LE, yet pay the premium for a hybrid? (Just jump up to the XLE which still has cloth seats and is a better value as packaged) Enjoy the following conversation between the voice in my head and the salesperson at the dealership whom also happens to be in my head:

So the cheapest hybrid with softex seats is the XSE. Great, awesome... oh it has a black headliner? cool, oh center of the seats are cloth? fine, that's not bad. But by softex, we actually mean only black softex... Whatever I'd like a grey option but I can live with it.

Ok, what color exterior do you want? black roof with... ... ... umm can you just not paint the roof black? I already settled for the full black interior, starting to get a little depressed here.

Well check out this wonderful Limited hybrid, it's only our top and most expensive trim, but you can have any color softex interior and any color exterior... as long as its neither of the two new fun colors we've released such as lunar rock or blue flame.

I'm hoping Toyota will shake up the trim levels for 2020 or 2021, not out of the question since they'll be adding the TRD off-Road trim for 2020. They also did some shifting from year to year for the 2016-2018 facelift/hybrid models. Ok I'm done, just had to get that out. Everyone get back to work now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tuuber89 For This Useful Post:
JuneBug (05-03-2019), rammysohal (05-03-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I hear ya mate. Same feelings exactly

"It is in Toyota's DNA that mistakes made once will not be repeated."
- Akio Toyoda
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Despite exactly those issues we did buy a XSE, silver sky / black. Best option IMHO. But indeed a big miss from Toyota, talked to the dealer about it when ik picked it up... They don't like this policy either.

2019 RAV4 Hybrid AWD Innovation (EU)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VonJot For This Useful Post:
chrispepin (05-03-2019), davebeats (05-03-2019)

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonJot View Post
Despite exactly those issues we did buy a XSE, silver sky / black. Best option IMHO. But indeed a big miss from Toyota, talked to the dealer about it when ik picked it up... They don't like this policy either.
Saw your post, congrats

I've ordered XSE in same color too but would've liked more options

"It is in Toyota's DNA that mistakes made once will not be repeated."
- Akio Toyoda
The Following User Says Thank You to rammysohal For This Useful Post:
chrispepin (05-03-2019)
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I also ordered a silver XSE with the black roof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuuber89 View Post
I feel like Toyota really dropped the ball on the trim levels for the hybrid models. In my opinion, they should have skipped the LE hybrid and offered the XLE Premium as a hybrid. First off, it would shift the price point up which would be to their advantage. Also, who really is willing to purchase a bare bones LE, yet pay the premium for a hybrid? (Just jump up to the XLE which still has cloth seats and is a better value as packaged) Enjoy the following conversation between the voice in my head and the salesperson at the dealership whom also happens to be in my head:

So the cheapest hybrid with softex seats is the XSE. Great, awesome... oh it has a black headliner? cool, oh center of the seats are cloth? fine, that's not bad. But by softex, we actually mean only black softex... Whatever I'd like a grey option but I can live with it.

Ok, what color exterior do you want? black roof with... ... ... umm can you just not paint the roof black? I already settled for the full black interior, starting to get a little depressed here.

Well check out this wonderful Limited hybrid, it's only our top and most expensive trim, but you can have any color softex interior and any color exterior... as long as its neither of the two new fun colors we've released such as lunar rock or blue flame.

I'm hoping Toyota will shake up the trim levels for 2020 or 2021, not out of the question since they'll be adding the TRD off-Road trim for 2020. They also did some shifting from year to year for the 2016-2018 facelift/hybrid models. Ok I'm done, just had to get that out. Everyone get back to work now.
It's funny you say that about the LE as I'm thinking about getting the LE as I saw virtually no difference between it and the XLE that would justify the price increase. Once you add any packages to the XLE you may as well step up to the XSE at that point.

Although if someone can point me to any measurable difference between them I'd be open to it. The seats seemed virtually the same, the LE just didn't have the pattern that the XLE had which I don't like anyway.

However, with that said, I stronly agree with you of the trim on the XSE. My wife and I had planned to get an XSE but hated the blue stitching and seat inserts. We just want an all black interior with basic stitching but the only option for that is the Limited. As a result we're going to lease an LE for a few years and look into buying then once hopefully more options per trim have become available.
The Following User Says Thank You to jsamuels For This Useful Post:
Jarl (05-03-2019)
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Garage
Jeeez. When I got my 2016 there were only 2 trims available, and I had to walk 100 miles in the snow to get one. You people are spoiled.

2019 Hybrid Limited
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonJot View Post
If I purchased an XSE, silver would be my choice as well. In all honesty, if the XSE didn't have all the black painted exterior trim I could deal with the black roof. I've also thought about doing a vinyl wrap on the roof if I had too. As far as the trim goes, I just don't like the paint on the over-fenders and front valence. It's simply more susceptible to scratches and chips, and I prefer the more rugged/utility look of the bare plastic.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 02:11 PM
wbw

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Jeeez. When I got my 2016 there were only 2 trims available, and I had to walk 100 miles in the snow to get one. You people are spoiled.
And that walk was uphill, right?
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsamuels View Post
It's funny you say that about the LE as I'm thinking about getting the LE as I saw virtually no difference between it and the XLE that would justify the price increase. Once you add any packages to the XLE you may as well step up to the XSE at that point.

Although if someone can point me to any measurable difference between them I'd be open to it. The seats seemed virtually the same, the LE just didn't have the pattern that the XLE had which I don't like anyway.

However, with that said, I stronly agree with you of the trim on the XSE. My wife and I had planned to get an XSE but hated the blue stitching and seat inserts. We just want an all black interior with basic stitching but the only option for that is the Limited. As a result we're going to lease an LE for a few years and look into buying then once hopefully more options per trim have become available.
In general for any vehicles, the trims above base and up to the mid-level are generally considered the best "value" as packaged. Obviously this is catering to a sample of the general population.

A few worthwhile differences in my opinion:
  • Better LED projector headlights (confirmed in reviews and forum users)
  • Fog lights
  • Painted side mirrors and door handles vs. black plastic
  • Can't option heated seats on the LE
  • Smart Key & Push-Button Start
Sponsored Links
Advertisement