What do you all mean by "Ordered a hybrid"? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.5 Electric RAV4 Hybrid & EV Discuss anything Electric or Hybrid RAV4.5 (2019+) related.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What do you all mean by "Ordered a hybrid"?

I'm seeing all kinds of posts where folks claim to have custom ordered a Rav4 hybrid. I'm in a rural county in Northern California, dealers here claim they can't order. I put in an "order" today but it went like this. My local dealer had a list of what Toyota intended to send them, cars (trims/options anyway) over which they have no choice. One of them was a hybrid Limited but it had a pano roof, no thanks, and the tech package, also no thanks. So he found another car, to my liking*, that Toyota will ship, when built, to some other dealer. He will contact that other dealer to see whether they are willing to swap. That constitutes "ordering" in my neck of the woods.

To confirm this, I had an email discussion with another dealer who chastized me for thinking this was a world where you could just custom order a car from Toyota, at least according the Build protocol on Toyota's website. I know I did this with my Highlander 8 years ago. Is this a local thing? Are some or all of you actually placing orders and putting money down?

* To my liking once I remove the mudguards! The dealer didn't guarentee but he though he'd try to swap them out for the cross bars. BTW, I'm not disparaging my local dealer, they are one of the only two dealers I've encountered that post real, meaningful discounts on their site. I like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Yes, you can "order" a vehicle. I went and sat down with my local dealer and selected the exact model, options, and accessories I wanted then put down a deposit (which was $3,000 in this case). They submitted the order about 3 weeks ago. We are waiting on the order status to update with a build date. They said roughly 8 weeks. I am in Houston for reference. I did a Limited Hybrid in Blizzard Pearl with the light grey interior. For packages I did the Tech, Weather, Entune Premium, and the Pano Sunroof. For accessories I did the door edge guards, door sill protectors, wheel locks, carpet mat set, and Toyota LED fog lights.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Went to 3 places in MA and none of them would order what I want, everything other than tech with adaptive headlights. Gave up on the headlights and am getting just JBL and weather pkgs since nobody in MA gets the headlights according to toyota website or the dealers. Seems to vary state to state.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Each region has their own distribution policy. Here in the Rocky Mountain region and in the Pacific Northwest regions each dealer gets an allocation of what will be coming to that dealership and can also see what is going to other dealerships.

I believe that In the Rocky Mountain region they can try to make a swap but the other dealer would have to agree.

In the Pacific region, vehicles that have not yet reached the dealer can be reserved by a specific dealer if a customer puts down a deposit. I know this because we wanted a Limited with Tech and Weather packages in Red, Silver or Gray. Two different dealers sent me spec sheets on the exact same vehicle (same vin#). We put a deposit with one dealer and the vehicle no longer showed as available to the other dealer. The second dealer did not have to agree to let the first dealer have it.

It seems that in the East, people can order a specific set of features and get a build date. I believe that all of those posted on the forum have been Canada builds.

The Southeast has a separate distribution company entirely. I'm not sure of their policy.

So, it depend on where you live.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Interesting ..... didn’t see this thread before I posted same question. Trying to build hybrid for delivery in Portland OR area. Out of curiosity what prices are you paying to do this? The “ market adjustment “ prices I’m seeing of anywhere to 1-3K above MSRP?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeviewer View Post
I believe that In the Rocky Mountain region they can try to make a swap but the other dealer would have to agree.
In the Pacific region, vehicles that have not yet reached the dealer can be reserved by a specific dealer if a customer puts down a deposit.
I live in Northern California about an hour north of Sacramento. According to my dealer the other dealership needs to agree to the swap.

It appears the car I will get, if this swap happens, is built in Canada. Every other vehicle I've pondered so far has been Japenese.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm in WV. I was also told they could not "order" one. But they were able to see a vehicle that had been allocated to a different dealer. Then they contacted that dealer and made a trade with them. That is how I'm getting mine.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
When I bought my RAV4 I chose a dealer who would get exactly what I wanted - color, specs, and packages - and at a fair price. He gave me the choice of waiting to have one built to order - about six weeks, or arranging for a swap with another dealer which should take much less time. The downside of the swap arrangement was that the vehicle would be driven from the original dealer to mine, about 230 miles. Dealer required a $500 deposit which would be refunded if the swapped vehicle was not exactly what I had wanted. I chose the swap arrangement since Toyota had a $750 rebate in effect which could expire by the time that a factory ordered RAV4 would arrive. The swapped for RAV4 arrived and was exactly what I had wanted.

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brb_rav4hybrid View Post
Interesting ..... didn&#8 217;t see this thread before I posted same question. Trying to build hybrid for delivery in Portland OR area. Out of curiosity what prices are you paying to do this? The &#8 220; market adjustment &#8 220; prices I&#8 217;m seeing of anywhere to 1-3K above MSRP?

If you wouldn't mind the drive, perhaps try Toyota in Coos Bay. They got for me exactly what I wanted and the price was fair, per my Post #8 . But that was some time ago so they may have changed their policy. At the time they would deal and make all of the arrangements via the internet.

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brb_rav4hybrid View Post
Interesting ..... didnít see this thread before I posted same question. Trying to build hybrid for delivery in Portland OR area. Out of curiosity what prices are you paying to do this? The ď market adjustment ď prices Iím seeing of anywhere to 1-3K above MSRP?
Beaverton Toyota has a "clear" policy where they post a no haggle discount on line of $1100 to $1800 depending on trim level. They add a $110 doc fee (that I think all Oregon dealers do).

I have family there, put down a deposit with them, later bought here in Colorado when one came in sooner equipped as I wanted and was given a competitive price.

Send me a PM if you would like the name of the manager that I dealt with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement