Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2014 Rav4 XLE 2WD all door locks not working

12K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Tb2025 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 Rav4 XLE 2WD and all of my power door locks have stopped working completely. It first started with my driver's side, then the passenger side went out a couple of weeks after that. It was one of those things that I figured I would fix at some point but it wasn't super important as it wasn't really difficult manually locking/unlocking those doors if needed. Well now, about 8 months or so later, all 3 of my other locks have stopped working. It started with my passenger side rear door, then the cargo door, and now the drivers side rear door just stopped a few days ago. This is all in the span of about 2 weeks.

So now I have no power locks at all. Aside from spending $150-$200 per door to replace the actuator are there any other options that are easy to do? I can hear the doors attempting to lock/unlock so I don't think it's a fuse issue, right? I'm also hesitant to replace the actuators for that much money since they went out so quickly (less than 3 years). I'd hate to spend $1k on door locks to have them fail again in a couple of years.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any quick/easy fixes out there?

#2 ·
How often do you lock and unlock the doors? I have never heard of a RAV4 wearing out door lock actuators so early. You might expect this on a 10-12 year old car, but not after 3 years. I had a '96 Nissan Quest and all the actuators wore out except the driver's door. I replaced the others with generic actuators from Amazon. They worked perfectly for the 2 years I kept it:

https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Universal-Degree-Power-Actuator/dp/B00N57OC68

#3 ·
How often do you lock and unlock the doors? I have never heard of a RAV4 wearing out door lock actuators so early. You might expect this on a 10-12 year old car, but not after 3 years. I had a '96 Nissan Quest and all the actuators wore out except the driver's door. I replaced the others with generic actuators from Amazon. They worked perfectly for the 2 years I kept it:
Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't say I use my locks anymore than anyone else, although I do have a lot of miles on the vehicle for it only being 3 years old. But that's primarily due to a long work commute. This is the first time this has happened to me also with any vehicle I've owned. It's baffling.

I will look into the generic actuators to see if I can save some money there, as long as they work I'm fine. Thanks again.

#4 ·
I'd hate to spend $1k on door locks to have them fail again in a couple of years.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any quick/easy fixes out there?[/QUOTE]

I hate to mention this, is there any chance that it's the Remote, low battery or something?
Ott.

#6 ·
Sounds bizarre to me for it to be the actuators. I've had actuators go out on other (older) cars in the past, but it's always been one here and one there kind of thing. I've never lost all 5 actuators on one car in such a short period of time. My 15 year old Xterra with 200K on it still has 2 out of 5 of the original actuators. The three that went out failed over several years.

If you want to try the actuators first, I found actuators on eBay for much cheaper than the Toyota ones and replaced them myself.

#7 ·
I had both front actuators go on my 2013 XLE. Drivers side at year one and passenger side went at year 3. I don't use the locks more than anyone else that gets in and out of their car everyday. Passenger side was covered under extended warranty so i saw how much the dealer billed the job for. A little over $400. Hopefully you can do the job yourself!!

#8 ·
My '13 XLE had the front driver door power stop working a few months ago..

Haven't had the desire to fix it just manually lock it but I am really sad.

The VVTI timing gear broke 10 days before warranty expired under 30k miles.

Driver Door power locks don't work....

Not great , not great Japan Built XLE

#10 ·
I have a 2014 Rav4 XLE 2WD and all of my power door locks have stopped working completely. It first started with my driver's side, then the passenger side went out a couple of weeks after that. It was one of those things that I figured I would fix at some point but it wasn't super important as it wasn't really difficult manually locking/unlocking those doors if needed. Well now, about 8 months or so later, all 3 of my other locks have stopped working. It started with my passenger side rear door, then the cargo door, and now the drivers side rear door just stopped a few days ago. This is all in the span of about 2 weeks.

So now I have no power locks at all. Aside from spending $150-$200 per door to replace the actuator are there any other options that are easy to do? I can hear the doors attempting to lock/unlock so I don't think it's a fuse issue, right? I'm also hesitant to replace the actuators for that much money since they went out so quickly (less than 3 years). I'd hate to spend $1k on door locks to have them fail again in a couple of years.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any quick/easy fixes out there?
I have a 2014 Rav4 XLE 4WD and the exact same thing has happened - all power locks are now completely gone. Someone also suggested to me that I must lock and unlock more often than the average driver, which I don't. Hopefully mine can be fixed under the extended warranty that I purchased. Thanks for writing this - although it's 3 years old. At least I know I'm not crazy!

#14 ·
Did you end up replacing all the actuators? My 2014 XLE AWD is now having the same issue, all 4 doors will not lick/unlock with the key fob or the door buttons, I have to manually open them. I havent checked the trunk. It started with intermittent issues on 1-2 of the doors and now all 4 are dead

#11 ·
No you are not. I have replaced all of my door lock actuators @ 2 years ago on my 14 rav4. I currently have 67k miles on it. I drive to work and back 5 days a week. I noticed these newer electronic actuators are prone to earlier failure on the Toyota but not the Lexus for some reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.