Toyota RAV4 Forums - View Single Post - [Jalopnik] The Toyota RAV4 Has Become The Automotive Equivalent Of Selling Out
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
karrock
R4W Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
[Jalopnik] The Toyota RAV4 Has Become The Automotive Equivalent Of Selling Out

[Jalopnik] The Toyota RAV4 Has Become The Automotive Equivalent Of Selling Out

Jason Torchinsky
5/24/18

The other day I was walking around town handing out flyers trying to convince people that yes, the Earth is flat, but it’s wrapped around a spherical core, so it just seems round. There’s a difference. While I was out I saw something that stopped me in my tracks: a first-generation Toyota RAV4. I haven’t seen one just around in quite a while, and now that I have, I find my self smitten. And a bit sad, since I know what the RAV4 has become.

When was the last time you saw a Mk 1 RAV4? It’s sort of disarming how small they are, especially the two-door one like what I encountered. The wheelbase is short, overhangs are minimal, ride height is good—no wonder these were once capable off-roaders.

The design is quite ‘90s, but I think has aged pretty well. The gray, ribbed lower cladding actually works well, joining in with the basic gray bumpers to give the car a two-tone quality, along with covering the lower third of the car with hard-wearing materials that don’t need to be painted, a real plus if you wanted to actually use the car for fun stuff.

More nostalgic love for the original RAV4 to be found at Jalopnik!

//Tony -- Three-time RAV'er!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome