Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Adaptive Front Headlights

11K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Fabio Herrera 
#1 ·
I have seen these mentioned on here and even on the Costco build configuration tool but I have not found any Toyota official words on it. So what is the deal on these?

#2 ·
On the Limited HV, you have the option to get the Adaptive Front Headlight System (AFS). As far as I have found out, you can not get AFS with the panoramic moon roof.

AFS allows the headlights to tilt and pan. The tilt can compensate for such as things as weight in the vehicle. Pan is used to turn the headlights into the corner as you turn. I haven't seen how far the RAV4's will pan, but the usual in other brand seems to be about 15%.

They are described in the hybrid owner's manual but it is pretty generic.

#3 ·
An important question is whether the adaptive headlights will be available right away. I plan on getting a hybrid Limited but wonder whether asking a dealer to try to get one will delay the process, we'll see.

#7 ·
#11 ·
Although not specifically part of AFS, it is headlight related. Found this in the HV owner's guide for a feature I had in one other car and it is pretty nice:

■Windshield wiper linked headlight
illumination (if equipped)

When driving during daytime with
the headlight switch turned to AUTO, if
the windshield wipers are used, the
headlights will turn on automatically
after several seconds to help
enhance the visibility of your vehicle.

In NYS, it is a requirement that headlights are on if the wipers are on.

#13 ·
Unfortunately according to the 2019 HV product information download, windshield wiper linked headlight illumination isn't mentioned, why it's in the owner's manual is interesting, unless it's offered on Canadian models....or it's just another technical writing error on one source or the other.

#14 ·
I think i'ts depending on the type of headlights. I've ordered a XSE with projector headlights, so these could (should?) be directional. Reflector headlights cannot make that kind of movement without rotating the complete reflector unit.
So i'll sit and wait... End of April i'll be able to tell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.