Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Spare Tire Wheel Well won't fit full size tire

73K views 111 replies 41 participants last post by  CMRAV4 
#1 ·
Toyota just lost a sale...for now. I just got off the phone with Toyota corporate (800-331-4331) who told me that the wheel well won't fit a full size spare. Wazzupwiddat? To make matters worse they market the RAV4 as "designed to meet most off-road driving requirements." See brochure Footnote 13. Maybe the geniuses at Toyota believe doughnuts are tough enough. Right!!! And of course the brochures/manuals say nothing. But I'm sure dealers will inform potential buyers. Right again!!! If enough people find out about it and complain maybe Toyota will find the room to fix this stupidity. The CSR said mgmt reviews all the customer call comments which, in my case, were duly noted. Hopefully, Toyota hears/reads these comments and takes action. If they don't I think they will get a big black eye. Buyer beware......unless you have faith in your doughnut. :surprise:mad::confused:

#2 ·
The Rav4 hasn't had a full size spare since 2012, in reality compared to all the passenger vehicles that no longer even have a spare, just a can of fixaflat or at most a compressor and sealant, let alone a full size spare, it's not surprising and for the majority isn't a big deal. The 4th gen spare tire well would fit a full size spare, but the deck board had to be raised, I suspect that it may be the same for the '19, the owner's manual for the 4.4 had instructions to tire the flat tire down, but the '19 just says stow the flat, which may mean it will fit the well, but maybe not completely. Some international 4.4s had an option of a full size spare and a modified deck board that was raised to accommodate the wider full size tire.

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/124-4-4-interior/177921-spare-tire-well.html#post1732290

#3 ·
The 2018 Brochure is pretty slick. It has pics of gravel/dirt roads but makes no specific mention of off-roading. The 2019 Brochure is completely different!!! Since Toyota raised the ground clearance for 2019 and is specifically marketing this fifth generation as an off-roader they should either provide a solution for a full size spare or stop the off-road marketing campaign. They can't have it both ways. Who is gonna take a dirt/gravel road miles from pavement without a worthy spare? I was looking for a comfortable higher clearance crossover with great MPG. I thought this would have been perfect and frankly I was shocked at my discovery. Naivety, I guess. Until there is a solution I'll have to continue using my FJ Cruiser (19-20mpg) which is overkill for 1000 mile road trips with only 25-50 miles on dirt. Any 2019 owners out there with any ideas? I don't wan't to stow a full size spare above the deck board as I need the space for sleeping. I have a portable compressor so I could consider stowing a deflated full size spare in the wheel well but I doubt that would do much, if anything at all.

#4 ·
Email response from Toyota:

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We appreciate your interest in the 2019 RAV4.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We apologize as the vehicle is not designed nor intended to carry a full-size spare tire. We do not recommend or assist with modifying our vehicles from the original factory specifications.[/FONT]

#5 ·
Email response from Toyota:

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We appreciate your interest in the 2019 RAV4.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We apologize as the vehicle is not designed nor intended to carry a full-size spare tire. We do not recommend or assist with modifying our vehicles from the original factory specifications.[/FONT]
Are there and cars left that have room inside for a full size spare?

#6 ·
I wonder if anyone make a spare tire carrier that mounts on a 2" receiver? Would be in the way of the hatch but my 21' camper has one that bolts to the rear bumper and folds down to allow access to a rear storage compartment.
https://www.etrailer.com/Spare-Tire-Carrier/Stromberg-Carlson/TR-2.html
A 2" square shaft welded to it might work. You'd still have to work around it but could open the hatch.

#7 ·
Dr. Dyno.....Yes, My wife's current gen Mazda CX-5 wheel well has plenty of room (width and height) for a full size spare even though it comes with a doughnut. That's what I would have expected from Toyota.

Dr. Dyno again, Thanks for that fold-down-holder-on-a-hitch idea. That could potentially work. I was hoping to keep the full size spare off the roof and outta the cabin. And considering I would only use it on out-of-town camping trips then I could remove the entire contraption (spare/holder/hitch) when I am local. Just brilliant. You are the man!!!!

#10 ·
I am not really surprised about the lack of room for a rear spare. I really dont consider the RAV4 as a true off road vehicle despite the marketing story.

For example, its AWD not 4x4 and there is a difference. It will be interesting to see how well it does off road but lets not get too excited in terms of its capabilities. Let's face the sad reality, very few owners of SUV and even fewer owners of CUVs use them off road.

I plan to buy a hybrid AWD in 2020 after the bugs are worked out and it has Android Auto. I do have a 1995 Land Cruiser and a Tundra 4x4 for serious off roading . The Rav will just be extra performance on dirt / mud roads and snow.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I'm in the exact same boat as you. Waiting on an HV Limited with hopefully Android Auto.

But like you said, the Rav4 is no true off roader. I'm mostly getting it for slick conditions and traction on snowy roads. I may take it on a maintained dirt trail but I do not plan to take it on ungroomed paths, unless it's snow on a paved street. Not to mention the HV has the AWD-i system, which is something I probably don't want to push.

#12 ·
Well that sucks. Didn’t even think to look at that.

On a road trip the trunk would be packed along with the interior. Where is the full size wheel and tire supposed to go then? Strap it to the roof I supposed or leave it on the side of the road and come back for it later lol?

#13 ·
One possible solution is to store a full size spare on the roof. The 2019 Brochure even shows a pic with 2 kayaks on the roof. However, Brochure footnote 2 says "Roof rack with cross bars is not recommended for luggage." What the heck does that mean? Weight/strength issue? Aerodynamic/MPG issue? Are they just weasel words by Toyota to limit liability in case of RR failure? I've also read that on other blogs that MPG may not be just slightly affected but seriously affected with stuff on the roof. Imagine 25mpg? Any real world experiences out there? This is getting stranger and stranger, especially with Toyota now marketing the "ALL- NEW 2020 TRD Offroad RAV4....the newest addition to the RAV4 family will be outfitted with a full array of special Toyota Racing Development engineering and design features for greater trail-driving capability....the 2020 RAV4 TRD Off-Road goes above and beyond with suspension, wheels and tires engineered specifically for trail driving." But you still don't get a full size spare? Do they think we're morons? Seems like Toyota has now jumped the shark.

#14 ·
Toyota is now marketing a 2020 TRD Offroad RAV4. https://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/rav4TRD/
It “will be outfitted with a full array of special Toyota Racing Development engineering and design features for greater trail-driving capability and standout style.” “The 2020 RAV4 TRD Off-Road goes above and beyond with suspension, wheels and tires engineered specifically for trail driving.” https://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota...cred+thanks+to+new+trd+off+road+treatment.htm
HAHAHA. They are going down a rabbit hole unless they fix the spare tire issue.

#16 ·
The '19 Rav isn't the only "off road" touted new SUV, the '19 Honda Passport is being pushed as being very capable as well, but it has a compact spare and I found no reference to an optional full size being available or fitting in the under deck storage.

#17 ·
If I can make a deal this fall, I will be trading in my Adventure for a 2020 Tacoma TRD OR in cement color. The truck just works much better for me than the RAV4. Won’t have to worry about where to put that full size spare :) Plus have power, true off road capabilities, towing, hauling, can modify to my hearts content because of so much after market “stuff” plus I’ll get my console gun vault (which as many of you know can be used for a lot more than a firearm) We will still have our 2015 XLE, but selling the Tundra.

#18 ·
I was at a dealer today and looked at the wheel well without taking out the spare. I measured a non-spare tire and compared it to the well. The diameter may be ok but the height (thickness) of the full size tire is very close to the available space under the deck. The rubber spacers attached to the underside of the deck which rest on the spare tire would also have to be removed to fit a full size spare. I guess it will take a real live owner who is looking to do the same to report back results. Thanks in advance to that person.

#20 ·
The dismounted 235/55R19 tire will fit, but it's a little too tall at the front for the deck board to fit flush, rear of the deck board fits flush as it normally would, I'd expect an inflated tire to at least raise the front of the board a big higher even if the black rubber block was removed. Note the spray-on sound deadener in the well.

#22 ·
The dismounted 235/55R19 tire will fit, but it's a little too tall at the front for the deck board to fit flush, rear of the deck board fits flush as it normally would, I'd expect an inflated tire to at least raise the front of the board a big higher even if the black rubber block was removed. Note the spray-on sound deadener in the well.

Unrelated question. I found this plastic part in a bag next to the spare tire. Do you know what that is for?

Attachments

#21 ·
Thanks, Q. That's good info. Seems that Toyota may not have to do much redesign to the well to fit a full size spare. I hope they're reading this. I believe that once the word gets out they will lose sales especially on their pricey "Adventure" and upcoming "Offroad" models if they don't.

#24 ·
I wouldn't try to go to do SERIOUS off roading in my 2017 RAV. Nor would I try it with my 2005 GoldWing trike. I would also not go ocean fishing with a 12 foot canoe. When it rains, I put on a raincoat, not my "water repellent" jacket. Never use a crescent wrench to remove lug nuts.

Use the appropriate tool for the job at hand.

#25 ·
I agree and said something similar earlier on this thread.

I did ponder later and sort of felt bad that not everybody can have multiple vehicles and compartmentalize their driving with different vehicles.

What happened to me is that as I aged, I kept some of my older favorite vehicles (ex: 1995 80 series Land Cruiser ). I only insure in the spring for some fun in the mountains.

When younger, I could only have 1 car. I suspect one could have a lot of fun with an AWD Rav.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

#27 ·
I have had a full size spare hanging off the back of my Landcruiser for 10 years and never used it once, and that was doing way more hardcore off-roading than I ever will in a rav4. I definitely intend to get my rav off road, so I’ll be upgrading the tires to a more durable model. If you really want peace of mind get e rated tires, they would be very hard to puncture on a light vehicle like a rav. Could also have a fab shop like stellarbuilt make a rear off-road bumper with spare tire swing out. Worst case scenario I’ll limp out of the woods on the donut!

#28 ·
I gave this a try today with my oem tires (235/55R19) since I haven’t got rid of them yet. I’m positive the trunk will fit a full size spare if you remove the black rubber square and styrofoam that sits under the regular spare. The black square is stuck on with a thin adhesive layer and styrofoam isn’t held down at all. I left the square in place for now and the board going over it had only a small amount of lift coming from the front where the tire was being raised by the square.

My new tires are a little fatter than the oem ones at 245/65R17 but I’m considering a full spare and wanted to give it a try with what I have. Too lazy right now to pull an entire wheel off but might give it a shot one of these upcoming weekends.

#29 ·
Great info! I am considering running a near-full-sized spare. The tires I have on order are 255/70R16s (30.1"), which sounds a bit too wide for the stock location. But, it also sounds like maybe a taller 215 would fit! I might try to measure today. If nothing else, if I can get within a few percent (29.5" is only 2% shorter), I should be able to use the spare for more-or-less normal driving, rather than having to immediately limp to the nearest repair station.

That said, I have also used exactly one spare in my life, just from running over a big nail in exactly the wrong way.

#30 ·
Anyone know the total diameter of the spare on the Adventure? Is it different from other models, since the stock wheels are 19"? I'm thinking if I replace my stock wheels with 17" wheels and use bigger tires, the diameter would be close to the spare... So, if I get a flat in the middle of nowhere, I can still use the spare.

#31 ·
My XLE Premium also came with the 19s and 29.2" tires, and the spare is still the 165/80R17 which is only 27.4" in diameter.

I tried to find "compact spare" sizes that were taller, but they are rare. However, 215/75R17 is a common regular tire size, is 29.6", and may actually fit under the cargo base.

In the absense of a true full-sized spare, I am genuinely considering putting slime in my tires, though. It wont stop a sidewall gash, but should allow me to keep driving with a nail in the tread if it comes down to it. I do also carry and know how to use a tire repair kit, but nobody wants to get to that point.

#32 ·
My XLE Premium came with the 19s and 29m2" tires, and the spare is still the 165/80R17 which is only 27.4" in diameter.

I tried to find "compact spare" sizes that wede taller, but they are rare. However, 215/75R17 is a common tire size, is 29.6", and may actually fit under the wheel well.

In the absense of a true full-sized spare, I am genuinely considering putting slime in my tires, though. It wont stop a sidewall gash, but should allow me to keep driving with a nail in the tread if it comes down to it. I do also carry and know how to use a tire repair kit, but nobody wants to get to that point.

How far do you think you can drive with a 2 inch difference in one of the tires without damaging the car or crashing? If a bigger tire won't fit, I might have to mount one on the roof, but that's going to look very ugly.. I bought the flat tire repair kit on my previous vehicle... The instructions seem a bit complicated. I've only had a flat tire once, and it was in the middle of nowhere.. Thankfully, I had a spare

#37 ·
Honestly it might be close, depending on the tire's cross section profile. I think a more squared profile like BFG KO2s would be closer to rubbing than mine.

I am getting ready to order some, but wouldnt be able to put them on until next weekend as I am going on vacation for the week.

#38 ·
I found a shop that wants about $1700 for both wheels and the KO tires installed.. I'm gonna go with the 245/65/17 just to be safe, because they have to special order it.. I'll probably use it for a year or so, and then do a 2" lift, and try to see if 31" tires would fit.

#40 · (Edited)
Anyone have any updates on fitting a full-sized or near-full-sized spare in the factory location? I just test-fit my 255/70R16s (30.1"), and the cargo floor / cover was only about 1" too high. Given 215s should be about 40mm (1.6") narrower, they should fit!

I have also been pondering creating a fold-down hitch carrier, but Id like to avoid it for several reasons (blocks rear camera, heavily rear-biased weight, more difficult to access cargo area, and generally just makes the vehicle longer to park and such).

#41 · (Edited)
Got impatient and ordered a cheap steel wheel and 215/85R16 economy road tire. Cost me $140 with tax from Walmart.com, and I estimate around $15 or so to mount and balance with a new valve stem.

I am not going to bother with a TPMS sensor since it is still just a temporary spare, but at least this will give me a lot more flexibility than a donut. For example, if I have a flat during a busy work week I could reasonably wait until the weekend to have it fixed. Or, more importantly, if I am on a road trip or traveling late at night, I'll have more options than stopping at the nearest hole-in-the-wall shop. And, probably the biggest reason is if I get a flat offroad, I won't be trying to ride a donut through Moab :p .

It is worth mentioning that for folks looking at taller 16" tires, it might be worth considering this 215/85R16 size because it should allow for a true full-sized matching spare and true 5-wheel tire rotation. Of note, all the ATs I can find in this size are E-rated tires, which means about a 15% weight increase and probably 2mpg less. Of course, that also means super heavy-duty construction so you'd probably never get a flat at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.