Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Adaptive Headlights

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  davebeats 
#1 ·
I want the adaptive headlights on a limited Rav4 Hybrid with all the packages, JBL in Blizzard Pearl and black interior and I can’t get it with the adaptive headlights and get it in the timeframe I need it by. How necessary are adaptive headlights and do they really help a lot? I’m getting the panoramic sunroof instead.

#2 · (Edited)
Lori, I drove a RAV4 without the adaptive headlights and wasn't all that impressed. The standard headlights reflect the light from two LEDs in each of the housings, activating the high beams illuminates a third LED in the housing. The high beams were better, but I found the low beam coverage to be irregular with a limited distance.

Of course there are currently no RAV4 Hybrids near me to compare with, so I want to a dealership and took a Camry equipped with adaptive headlights for a night time test drive and felt that they had a much better coverage pattern, especially on high beam.

I ordered a Hybrid Limited with every option except the panoramic moon roof, because you can't get both the moonroof and adaptive headlights. I do a lot of interstate driving and I felt that being able to see animals, and other road hazards in time to take evasive action was more important to me than the panoramic moonroof, especially since I am in the front seat 99.9% of the time.

I suggest that you test drive a RAV 4 with the standard LED headlights, and if you can test drive a Camry or something similar and see what you think best fits the type of driving you do.

#4 ·
Lori, I drove a RAV4 without the adaptive headlights and wasn't all that impressed.
I suggest that you test drive a RAV 4 with the standard LED headlights
According to the Product Information PDF for the hybrid, all trims, except for the LE, have LED projector headlights. The hybrid LE has multi-LED headlights which is what all trims of the gas model has. I'm assuming the projector version is better than the multi-LED.
Yes, unlike the non hybrids, the hybrid XLE, XSE and Limited have projector beam headlights, so unfortunately it is impossible to compare the hybrid standard (except LE) headlights with the adaptive ones until hybrids arrive at dealerships.

I also hope that the projector hybrid headlights are better than the non hybrid ones.

That said, I too would rather have the adaptive headlights than the panoramic roof. I've checked dealer web sites for hybrids that are "in transit". None have adaptive headlights. So, for now, it seems the only way to get them is to put in a special order.

Lori, how much longer were you told you would have to wait for the projector ones?

#3 ·
According to the Product Information PDF for the hybrid, all trims, except for the LE, have LED projector headlights. The hybrid LE has multi-LED headlights which is what all trims of the gas model has. I'm assuming the projector version is better than the multi-LED. It's kind of crazy Toyota doesn't stick the better lights on the higher trims.

It looks like Toyota doesn't differentiate any of the Camry headlights aside from adaptive or not. This makes me assume they're the same type of LED.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.