Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

To Trade or Not To Trade

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  zerberr 
#1 ·
Hi, my 2010 Limited AWD V6 is now 9 years old and has about 205K km on it. Apart for normal maintenance issues, I've had to have a CV boot replaced and the water pump replaced. The car is running well...everything works. A great car. Its my second Rav4.

So the question is, is it time to replace it. It hasn't cost much to own it, but what is coming up????

Any thoughts?

#2 ·
It's obviously your decision to make. I have had conversations with V6 RAV4 owners who have around 250K miles (much more than your 205K km), have maintained their vehicles well, and have had no problems apart from routine brake and tire replacements.

If I traded in my '11 V6 I would miss having that power especially for passing, so that is another consideration.

#3 · (Edited)
Hmm..

Thats a tough one but it seems like you have a solid maintained vehicle that you have stated has been "a great car"

Personally I favour the 3rd gens for many reasons including the V6. I just bought mine and hope for 5-10 years of ownership.

Perhaps you can seek a low mileage 2010-2012 V6 to upgrade into a vehicle that you are very familiar with?

Only problem is that they are very hard to find!

I would stay away from the 2019 RAV's until the bugs are worked out.

The 2013-2018 Rav's seem pretty good although a bit boring as everyone has one. If the V6 is not important to you maybe this is a good choice?

#5 ·
There shouldn't be any ticking time bombs waiting. Obviously anything can happen, but nothing "should" happen.

You kept up on the maintenance, so you should have been able to identify and correct any future issues by doing that. If you're only planning on another year then I wouldn't worry. If you're thinking about another 10 years then you could always take it to a dealer to have it inspected to have some peace of mind moving forward.

#6 ·
Well, do you have cold start rattle? If not, then you may develop it, but then again, it doesn't seem to lead to any complications apart from noise itself.
Also transmission whine. And again, no problems apart from the noise.
New RAV4 got me some mixed feelings. It seems to have quite a bit of nice stuff, including safety things. On the other hand, it's bigger and more expensive vehicle with smaller engine. Would be easier decision if they still had V6.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.