Toyota RAV4 Forums - View Single Post - Would like to do my own maintenance, what do I need ???
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 12:40 PM
bpedit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
I may be speaking too soon but I never needed to jack my Highlander for an oil change. I suspect, with the improved clearance, it won't be needed here either. But I'm a small guy (physically!). However, that all changes if you are going to perform your own tire rotations. I'm a big DYI guy but not that. Tire stores in my area will do that for free expecting your future business. I suspect I'll be more than welcome at the place I've spent $2000 in tires over the last few years, America's Tires. Les Schwab also has this policy.

I suspect the oil drain plug is 17 mm, was on my last two Toyotas. You'll need an oil filter wrench. Oil drain pan. Funnel. Paper towels. Recycled plastic bottles for the used oil. Perhaps a 10 mm socket to unfasten bolts in the cowling to access the filter.

If you're driving a non-hybrid AWD in dusty/severe condition you'll need to tighten propeller shaft bolts, I don't know the size. Most everthing else in a "tune-up" these days is simply visual inspection. A few other items need tending under these conditions. But note that these need only be done if the bulk of your driving was under these conditions, 20 miles down a gravel road between maintenance does not qualify.

I do all my own work sans the typical Toyota freebies. Look through the maintenance manual to see what's in store.

DO KEEP RECORDS, hand written, in the maintenance manual.
The Following User Says Thank You to bpedit For This Useful Post:
Andre Lofano (05-14-2019)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome