Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Installed new speaker components in non-JBL

27K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  Rocko9999 
#1 ·
I installed new components speakers up front and co-axials in rear doors. I guessed on the speaker polarity colors. The speaker plugs and colors are completely different from previous generations of Toyos. (The front have a white and grey wire approx 16ga. I believe the white is the neg- and the grey is pos+. (The speaker sound was distorted in reverse order). If I remember, in previous Toyo's the lighter color is pos+ though.

The factory non-JBL speakers are made by Pioneer but super wimpy magnets. The tweeter out weighted the the whole oem 6-3/4" speaker. There is another thread asking for the output wattage of the oem deck. The back of the speakers state 20w @4ohms

For those of you doing the upgrade, just cut out the factory woofer with a razor and leave the riveted frame/bracket in place for a 6.5" speaker. You will need 1-1/2" long screws to secure the new speakers in the deep plastic frame.

#2 ·
Thanks for the info. How much improvement was it? I was gonna try and just use some sound deadening as some other poster stated the speakers sounded much better without all the extra noise that was inhibited from the noise barrier. I also am gonna tap off the rear speakers for an amp for my sub.

#3 ·
The sound deadening helped quite a bit. The factory speakers magnets are so wimpy, I would definitely recommend it. I have small Jl audio 3.5's laying around, 1 speaker out weighs both front door 6.5 speakers combined. It's typical oem speakers- plastic basket, small magnet, very little excursion (movement) allowed.

#4 ·
I installed new components speakers up front and co-axials in rear doors. I guessed on the speaker polarity colors. The speaker plugs and colors are completely different from previous generations of Toyos. (The front have a white and grey wire approx 16ga. I believe the white is the neg- and the grey is pos+. (The speaker sound was distorted in reverse order). If I remember, in previous Toyo's the lighter color is pos+ though.

The factory non-JBL speakers are made by Pioneer but super wimpy magnets. The tweeter out weighted the the whole oem 6-3/4" speaker. There is another thread asking for the output wattage of the oem deck. The back of the speakers state 20w @4ohms

For those of you doing the upgrade, just cut out the factory woofer with a razor, then cut the plastic cage and leave the riveted frame/bracket in place for a 6.5" speaker. You will need 1-1/2" long screws to secure the new speakers in the deep plastic frame.
I forgot to add the rear speaker wires are white with grey stripe (pos+), and white/faded pink stripe (neg-) (I guessed on polarity)

#11 ·
The dash speakers are 3.5 tweeters on the non-JBl's with a super small magnet (about the size of a watch battery. I did test fit a 4.5 coaxial (Arc Audio) and it was too deep of a speaker but otherwise fit width-wise. I do believe a 3.5 will fit. I usually run JL's but had the Arc components laying around. I installed tweeters in the stock location not 3.5

#15 ·
Just a question about the size of door speakers? All of them are 6.5?
Just for your info I used kicker tweeter for replacing dash speaker, learned from YouTube in highlander, plug and play but only 1 screw fit the other not so, use the same technic that highlander Owens used.
Just google highlander replace dash speaker with Subaru oem kicker.

#18 ·
I installed 6 new speakers in a non JBL. They made a huge difference, no amp. I don't want any more bass, my ears are kind of sensitive.

The biggest thing is sound treatment. This car has a lot of noise and a lot of resonance you will hear the resonance when certain bass notes ring out in your car. I am now thinking that the best thing I can do for my sound system is to sound treat this car. Going to do that this weekend.

#19 ·
I installed 6 new speakers in a non JBL. They made a huge difference, no amp. I don't want any more bass, my ears are kind of sensitive.
If this works and sounds good to you, great!:)

Just keep in mind the head unit stock amp is underpowered and unless the replacement speakers are > sensitivity and < power rating there is more possibility of clipping/distortion if attempting to drive replacement speakers at higher than low volume using just the stock head unit...

#32 ·
Installed the Infinity reference ref-3032cfx in the dash. 10/10 would recommend! Super easy, took all but 10 mins to install. Thanks to @GKlein13 for helping me out and giving me some insight on what to buy.

Here is the adapter I had to use for my JBL premium system

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.