Toyota RAV4 Forums - View Single Post - Upgrading to All-Terrain tires in factory (or close to it) sizes
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
costeen1202

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Upgrading to All-Terrain tires in factory (or close to it) sizes

Hello all!

I'm loving my 19 Adventure so far, but the one thing I feel it's lacking is better/more aggressive tires to go with the "light Off Road" feel the rest of the car gives off. In an ideal world I'd down size to 17" wheels and BFG K02's for a larger, more comfortable side wall. But seeing as that's at least $2000 worth of wheels and tires, it's not exactly in the budget right now. So, I've been playing with the idea of just replacing the tires and not the wheels. Don't get me wrong, I love the look of the factory wheels, but being 19" drastically reduces the tire options.

So I spent some time on Tire Rack looking at options. It appears the most aggressive A/T option they offer in the factory size of 235/55-19, is the Yokohama Geolander A/T G015. It doesn't look like an awful tire, but not quite as aggressive as I'd like. And according to the Yokohama website, it only has a tread width of 7.5". Ideally I'd want something with a tread width of 8" or higher.

I noticed the Geolander also comes in a 255/55-19 with a 8.1" width and almost a full inch taller at 30" (vs 29.1" on the factory size tire). Maybe this is a more common size? Let's find out!

Back to Tire Rack and I search 255/55-19 and I come up with a new option, the Continental TerrainContact A/T. It also carries a 30" height, 8" width, and has a more aggressive tread pattern. It also seems as though the Continental gets better ratings on Tire Rack, if you believe they carry any weight.

So that's where I'm at. I wanted to get the opinion of the community. I'm thinking, for me, the Continental may be my best option, IF the 30" will fit with out rubbing on my factory height Adventure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Geolander 235.55.19.JPG (44.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Geolander 255.55.19.JPG (44.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Conti TerrainContact 255.55.19.JPG (54.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Tire Rack 255.55.19.JPG (33.9 KB, 7 views)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome