Disable horn for lock/unlock function - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.1?
Share it here and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Disable horn for lock/unlock function

Hi everyone. We recently acquired a nice 1999 RAV4L 2WD 165K miles and wondered if I can turn off the horn feature when unlocking/locking the doors with the remote fob. The horn is very loud rather than a piezo beep/chirp like on my dad's 09 RAV4. Found nothing in the owners manual, or TOYOTA REPAIR MANUALS I bought off ebay. We come and go late night for work and don't want to wake the neighbors so we only use the door key to open. It's even a little annoying in public parking lots I think to get a loud double beep every time.
The Following User Says Thank You to 99silverrav4 For This Useful Post:
Elle_Rav4 (Yesterday)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
That sounds like an aftermarket or dealer-installed alarm system. There wasn't anything installed from the factory that did that. A lot of dealers did install the Toyota RS3000 alarm system, but that system has a "chirp" sound, and only uses the horn as the actual alarm noise.

Alarm systems have their own ECU's added to the vehicle, so if you find the ECU get a model number, you might be able to search it out online, determine the signal wire for the horn, and snip it. But you'd want a wiring diagram before you go doing anything, especially if the alarm has an immobilizer function.

The alarm ECU's are usually installed either under the driver's seat, or behind the trim in that area.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to demoder For This Useful Post:
99silverrav4 (Today), Elle_Rav4 (Yesterday)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the quick response demoder. I can definitely look for the ECU first and go from there. But, I do like your idea of tracing back to the horn and doing a snip to that feed wire. If it does have an immobilizer function, don't you think I could just re-splice that wire back together and move forward from there ? You also have me thinking now that it is aftermarket because I can not program a spare key fob using two methods I found off the internet. I bought the exact fob that came with the Rav4 and could not get the ECU to respond in program mode. I first thought someone got an aftermarket fob programmed to the Toyota system. Photo attached of working fob. It is an "L" model RAV4 with everything AUTO and assumed the best. Love the RAV4 around town. I drive a 99Suburban LT and Wife drives her 1980Camaro she bought new. Got the RAV to drive while I put floor pans in her Camaro and new seat upholstery, sand and paint for the 5th time in almost 40 years. So you actually answered multiple mysteries in a single response and thank you for that. Jim J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02419.JPG (51.0 KB, 2 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to 99silverrav4 For This Useful Post:
Elle_Rav4 (Today)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Do you have the original Owner's Manual? At least later generation RAV4 manuals contain a list of customizable features, one of which is the ability to disable the horn when doors are locked or unlocked using the key fob. If so, the feature can be disabled by a dealer or by using Techstream.

Here is a link to a forum thread with a list of features for a later generation RAV4. Scroll down to Quickdtoo's post.which has a comprehensive list. Don't know whether this also applies also to gen.1 RAV4s.

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/123...ions-list.html

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
The Following User Says Thank You to Blogson For This Useful Post:
Elle_Rav4 (Today)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99silverrav4 View Post
Thanks for the quick response demoder. I can definitely look for the ECU first and go from there. But, I do like your idea of tracing back to the horn and doing a snip to that feed wire. If it does have an immobilizer function, don't you think I could just re-splice that wire back together and move forward from there ? You also have me thinking now that it is aftermarket because I can not program a spare key fob using two methods I found off the internet. I bought the exact fob that came with the Rav4 and could not get the ECU to respond in program mode. I first thought someone got an aftermarket fob programmed to the Toyota system. Photo attached of working fob. It is an "L" model RAV4 with everything AUTO and assumed the best. Love the RAV4 around town. I drive a 99Suburban LT and Wife drives her 1980Camaro she bought new. Got the RAV to drive while I put floor pans in her Camaro and new seat upholstery, sand and paint for the 5th time in almost 40 years. So you actually answered multiple mysteries in a single response and thank you for that. Jim J
That remote looks like a Viper remote start/alarm aftermarket system. Look for a small black or red push switch, usually hidden somewhere below the dash or steering column. The button is used to disable and program it, including adding another remote.

The picture is kind of small to get a good look at it.

Have a good day.

2013 Rav4 XLE w/All Front and Rear LED Lighting
LED DRL @ Fog Light w/Europen rear bumper lighting and Rapid Flash third brake light
Premium H3000 slotted & drilled rotors w/Hybrid ceramic/metallic pads

It's all about seeing, being seen and stopping!
The Following User Says Thank You to paulday For This Useful Post:
Elle_Rav4 (Today)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page