Used Rav4 owner - prevetative maint. question - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 General Discuss anything RAV4.2 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Used Rav4 owner - prevetative maint. question

Hello....newbie here...Have a 98 Camry with 400K miles and still runs strong and gets 28mpg. Just added a second Yota: 05 Rav4, Sport, Auto, 4WD, I4, with 150,000 miles. One owner before us and it is very clean and they seem to have kept current with maintenance. Question: without knowing the EXACT maintenance history, what all would you do/check to insure it's up to date preventatively speaking. I'm especially curious about steering/handling components and sensors as it seems some people have had issues related to worn or dirty parts that affected the handling systems of the vehicle. I would rather check things out, where possible, before I have issues, rather than wait until issues show up. Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Garage
I put together this list of things for anyone with an older car that they want to keep running.

A few recommendations for anyone, get some basic hand tools, a good Bluetooth OBDII scanner with Mode 6 Fault Code (Mode 6 Fault Code preferred) along with an app called Torque, a good autoranging multimeter, a fox & hound (for tracking electrical problems), a set of torque wrenches, and do most of the work yourself. You'll be surprised at how good it feels to do your own maintenance and not have to pay out the big bucks for work on your car. The alternative is sending a 20 year old car to the mechanic every time she hiccups and being sent to the poor house. Some preventive maintenance recommendations:
- Replace all the "soft" rubber hoses/lines, don't wait for that dreaded engine light and/or sitting on the side of the road waiting on a tow.
-- Radiator hoses
-- Heater hoses
-- The hidden coolant hoses under the lower exhaust manifold heat shield
-- The coolant hoses going to/from the Idle Air Controller Valve
-- Vacuum Lines
-- Fuel lines, fuel vent lines, and the fuel tank filler hose
-- Brake lines
-- Transmission cooler lines
- Inspect and replace as necessary the hard brake and fuel lines
- Mounts
-- Engine
-- Transmission
-- If 4x4 both carrier (differential) mounts and the drive shaft center mount
- Suspension
-- Control arms new bushings, mounts, and ball joints. Corrosion control, prime and paint.
-- Struts with associated hardware
-- Shocks
- Complete tuneup
-- Timing belt/ water pump kit
-- Iridium spark plugs
-- New ignition wires
- All fluids
-- Coolant
-- Brake
-- Transmission
-- If 4x4, the differential
-- Power steering
-- The all important blinker fluid
- Clean and upgrade the engine/transmission grounds
- Corrosion control
-- Get under her and inspect for corrosion, remove covers, side molding, etc
-- Use a wire brush, sandpaper, and lots of elbow grease to remove rust and corrosion
-- Use a rust stabilizer to keep it from coming right back
-- Prime and paint/undercoat

YouTube is your friend, weed out the trash and find some good mechanical advise on there that can help you troubleshoot most problems and make most repairs. I highly recommend Scotty Kilmer and Schrodingers Box.

I know some people are purist and only want to use official Toyota parts, but it really doesn't make any difference on most things. But, if you want nothing but Toyota parts be prepared to drain the wallet; for example, the radiator I purchased was about $100.00 US from amazon.com, $220.00 US from local parts stores, and a whopping $540.00 US from Toyota. I don't think most people are driving 20 year old cars because they have too much money. Denso makes a lot of Toyota's parts and if you buy those same parts from Toyota they are likely to be marked up 200%, 300%, or more than buying them from Amazon.com, RockAuto.com, or even your local parts stores. Hey I don't begrudge anybody making a profit, but 300%, well that's just larceny.

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

RAV4.1, 1999 RAV4, 3S-FE engine, E250F transaxle 5sp AWD, 5 door, LHD, Redneck Edition (RNE), Mossy Oak Obsession wrap, heavily modded, TOAD
'96 Newmar Mountain Aire, 40' diesel pusher motorhome, the mothership
The Following User Says Thank You to eodgator For This Useful Post:
Techsus (05-16-2019)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the thorough reply, eodgator! Good stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to SScholle For This Useful Post:
eodgator (05-16-2019)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
ACA22R engine

When it comes to preventative maintenance, I am looking to buy a 2004 RAV4 2.4 liter auto with (I believe) the ACA22R VVTI engine. My present car is a 1998 RAV4 manual which I've had for 14 years and love it dearly but I feel it's time to let it go and move on to something better. This car did break a timing belt some years ago and thankfully nothing bad happened but I'm wondering whether or not the ACA22R in the proposed vehicle is an interference engine? If it is then I would want to have the timing belt changed straight after buying it.

A cynic is he who has a heightened sense of the real world.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:37 PM

Starting with the 2nd generation (4.2 aka 2001-2005) all the RAV4 models have timing chains, so no timing belt to worry about.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by M98DUA View Post
When it comes to preventative maintenance, I am looking to buy a 2004 RAV4 2.4 liter auto with (I believe) the ACA22R VVTI engine. My present car is a 1998 RAV4 manual which I've had for 14 years and love it dearly but I feel it's time to let it go and move on to something better. This car did break a timing belt some years ago and thankfully nothing bad happened but I'm wondering whether or not the ACA22R in the proposed vehicle is an interference engine? If it is then I would want to have the timing belt changed straight after buying it.

You should try selling your RAV4 here on the forums, there are always people looking for a 3 door 1at generation RAV4 even if it's in less than perfect condition. Is your's 4x4 or fwd?

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

RAV4.1, 1999 RAV4, 3S-FE engine, E250F transaxle 5sp AWD, 5 door, LHD, Redneck Edition (RNE), Mossy Oak Obsession wrap, heavily modded, TOAD
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
eodgator,
Surely you're referring to me as a ''Purist" who favors installing genuine OEM Toyota parts vs. C3 Parts (Cheap Crummy China junk).

'98 RAV4 5-Speed 2WD 4-Dr. hardtop 2.0-L. gas I-4 engine. Venetian Red Pearl. Tail Light Guards (Manik). Michelin LTX M/S2 tires & spare. LED headlamps. Roof luggage rack. 5th-door saddle bags. Custom leather steering wheel cover. Sheepskin seat covers. Billiard ball #13 shift knob. Alloy wheels. Push Bar grille guard, LED fog lamps. Suede door panel inserts. Faux-suede center console cover. Driver/passenger grab-assist handles.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techsus View Post
eodgator,
Surely you're referring to me as a ''Purist" who favors installing genuine OEM Toyota parts vs. C3 Parts (Cheap Crummy China junk).
Not referring to anyone in particular, and you can say what you want about aftermarket parts, some are made in China, Mexico, USA, South Korea, and even Russia. I've replaced many, many parts on my RAV4, most are aftermarket and I've had very little trouble with any of them. If I felt that I could only use Toyota made out of gold priced parts I would have junked my RAV4 years ago. I do understand that some parts are much better being from Toyota suppliers and if you look through my garage I list what parts that I've had trouble with and which ones, like the thermostat that I recommend using Toyota parts.

I rarely buy Toyota parts as they don't make most of their parts, they just repackage them and mark them up, many well over 500%. Toyota uses over 200 suppliers and yes some are from China. The following is a list of a few of their suppliers: Fuel Total Systems Corp., OTICS USA, Somic America, Inc., Sumitomo Electric Wiring Systems, Inc. TAIHO Manufacturing, Samsung Electronics, Nippon Denso Co., Aisin Seiki Co., Magnuson Products, IPT Performance Transmission, Goodridge Fluid Transfer Systems, MagnaFlow, Autometer, Impact Racing, Goodyear, Nitrous Supply, Optima Batteries, and many many more.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
"OEM" stands for "Original Equipment Manufacture." Dictionary definition: ''OEM:1. Original equipment manufacturer, an organization that makes devices from component parts bought from other organizations." That's the short version. Long version: I buy parts that may be 3rd-party manufactured, according to Toyota engineering standards, so I feel justified spending the not-too-much-extra money to get Toyota-mandated quality parts. Same reason I've bought MICHELIN tires for the part 29-years. And consider the superb reputation of the AISIN transmissions. "If it's good enough for Toyota, it's good enough for me."

It's not that OEM parts are made BY Toyota-- rather, made per Toyota-Specs, held to Toyota standards. Good example: failure rate of aftermarket Thermostats-- much easier to buy OEM Toyota, they're cheap enough. The operative difference is that-- although Toyota parts may be, or are, manufactured offsite-- Toyota holds those companies to an OEM standard, which is-- by definition-- the point.
I must disagree that OEM Toyota parts are marked-up 500%. McGeorge online gets close enough to aftermarket prices for me w/ their genuine OEM parts. Before I buy OEM parts, I shop around everywhere! The bargains I've found are astonishing. Then, add that savings to what I already save by DIY'ing many of these jobs that 98% of the American population won't touch-- and I can ''even more'' afford paying a little extra for OEM.

Cheers!

'98 RAV4 5-Speed 2WD 4-Dr. hardtop 2.0-L. gas I-4 engine. Venetian Red Pearl. Tail Light Guards (Manik). Michelin LTX M/S2 tires & spare. LED headlamps. Roof luggage rack. 5th-door saddle bags. Custom leather steering wheel cover. Sheepskin seat covers. Billiard ball #13 shift knob. Alloy wheels. Push Bar grille guard, LED fog lamps. Suede door panel inserts. Faux-suede center console cover. Driver/passenger grab-assist handles.

Last edited by Techsus; 05-17-2019 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page