Yakima Cargopack - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 Accessories Discuss RAV4.2 accessories, their installation, where to purchase, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Yakima Cargopack

Hey all, I'm putting this in the 4.2 area since I have one, but I guess all could reply even if 4.3/4.4...

Does anyone have a Yakima Cargopack on their Rav4?

https://www.yakima.com/cargopack

This adds 16cu. ft of additional storage up top in a soft, water-resistant and durable bag. I'm considering this for short trips and things where I need the extra room in my trunk. Curious if you like it or hate it or just want to talk about it as an option to a hard compartment/coffin-type storage box. I have factory roof racks + cross bars and this would lay nicely on my crossbars so it's getting strong consideration.

Thoughts?

2003 Toyota Rav4 -- 2.0 VVT-I/Auto/4WD, 157k

Current Mods: FormFit Bugflector, AVS Ventvisors, OEM Foglights, OEM Heated Mirrors
Stereo: Eclipse AVN5500, JL Audio C2-650X 6.5" 2-way speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Go for it if you love it! The fact that it is water proof is interesting. I have a roof basket on mine that don't protect things against rain. But I can put bigger things like boxes, jerrycans, chainsaw, etc.

2001 with 2.4 swap + RAV4.1 transmission (4.93 final drive ratio), RAV4.1 locking center differential, Lexus RX300 limited slip rear diff , Celica GT4 stage 1 SPEC clutch kit, 3" lift kit, Old Man Emu coil-springs, sway-bars delete and BFG MT KM2 235/70/16.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
yeah I'd love to pick it up for a couple hundred bucks, can't find many reviews on durability, etc. I like the roof baskets but none of their stuff is listed as a fit for 2001-2005 Rav4. What brand is your basket?

2003 Toyota Rav4 -- 2.0 VVT-I/Auto/4WD, 157k

Current Mods: FormFit Bugflector, AVS Ventvisors, OEM Foglights, OEM Heated Mirrors
Stereo: Eclipse AVN5500, JL Audio C2-650X 6.5" 2-way speakers

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Almost every roof basket are universal mount.

I bought the cheaper I found, but now I regret. I should have paid a little more.... for more quality. After rain, my RAV4 roof become orange because water get inside the basket tubes... and it rust.

2001 with 2.4 swap + RAV4.1 transmission (4.93 final drive ratio), RAV4.1 locking center differential, Lexus RX300 limited slip rear diff , Celica GT4 stage 1 SPEC clutch kit, 3" lift kit, Old Man Emu coil-springs, sway-bars delete and BFG MT KM2 235/70/16.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ebertbn
I bought a Yakima Loadwarrior from a buddy for $100 who had it on a subaru outback before it quit running and I love it. I do have 58in yakima round bars and yakima rail grab mounts instead of the stock cross bars, but the brackets on the basket can be adjusted forward or backward in about 2 inch increments, plus you can also adjust where the factory crossbars sit as well, so you should be able to get the basket to fit anything almost. The brackets are also designed to be used with more aero shaped bars like the stock ones, or any number of shapes of aftermarket ones. I like the loadwarrior because the tubing used on the front and back is the same diameter as their round crossbars, so anything you could mount to the round bar could be mounted to the bars of the basket, so you really dont lose space on the bars. I have my yakima snowboard/ski mounts attached to the basket.

I also have a thule roof bag like you were mentioning and have had it for a little while. I got it at an REI garage sale for probably a 1/4 of the original list price because someone had ripped the zipper off its track. I fixed the zipper and it works good as new. I have previously used it on my 00 civic with standard yakima bars and it did great. Can't comment on total waterproofness but soft goods can always be stuffed in trash bags first! I have yet to use it on my rav but imagine it would work really well in conjunction with the basket for things that need some more protection from the elements. Side note, if you get a basket, I'd definitely recommend getting a bungie cargo net for it as well, its amazing at securing just about anything to the top of the basket without worrying about tying a million knots in some p-cord.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page