Identify Remote for 2001 Rav4 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 Accessories Discuss RAV4.2 accessories, their installation, where to purchase, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Identify Remote for 2001 Rav4

Hey, unfortunately I have lost my remotes and want to order new ones and program them for my car, but can't remember the exact type. If I recall it was oblong?. Is there any way to determine the model so I can order and program them myself? I have a 2001 Toyota RAV4. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I found it.. Went to parts.toyota.com and put in the vin and found the key fob

TRANSMITTER, DOOR CO.
For your Toyota
Part Number: 8974242120 ; 8974220200
Celica. Echo. FJ Cruiser. Highlander. Highlander Hybrid. Prius. RAV4.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Try ebay for cheaper prices.

Verify Compatibility with seller

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-For-2001-...item51f97841c3
The Following User Says Thank You to @2011rav4 For This Useful Post:
RAV4Hulk (12-28-2018)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 09:48 AM

just bought used 2004 with no key fobs,i got new new fobs but i am unable to get to the lock confirmation point, go thru the whole process, key in key out, close door open door twice, etc. do not get confirmation lockunlock. just had old after market alarm removed, made no difference. any ideas. is there a module for the keyless entry or is it done thru the ecm
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 09:23 AM

I've tried numerous times, tried swapping steps 5 and 6 like the toyota bulletin said. Guess I'll try a few more times. Is there a way to check the actual module, I read a post that it is located behind the back seat on the drivers side
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Here's another thread from someone else. Don't know if it's the same as the one you used.

Registration ►
Forum

Active Topics

Advertise
Login
/
RAV4.2 Second Generation (2001-2005 Models)
4.2 General
Trouble Programming New Transponder Key

Last Friday I bought a used 2004 RAV4L with the keyless entry option. Problem was the car only had 1 transponder key and no remote key fobs.
. For security puposes each new blank key's code must be added to the immobilizer computer in my 2004 RAV4L. Looked for programming instructions on the web and first generic Toyota video I found that used a robot voice didn't work. Never fear I found another video for 2003 - 2006 4Runner which worked with only one minor difference (the security light will go out on the dash of the RAV4 when it enters programming mode rather than stay on like a 4Runner). Here is the link to the video I watched: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E23VP8zrVIY"]How to program a transponder key in a 2003-2006 Toyota 4runner - YouTube Here are the RAV4 steps to follow after the blank key has been cut: 1. Sitting in the driver seat with door closed INSERT and REMOVE the Master Working Key 5 times and on the fifth time LEAVE THE KEY IN THE IGNITION. 2. Immediately OPEN and CLOSE the driver side door 6 times and LEAVE DOOR CLOSED. 3. The Security Light on the lower left dash should be off, REMOVE the Master Working Key. 4. Quickly insert the new cut transponder key 5. Watch the Security Light start blinking and wait a little more than 1 minute until the Security Light turn off. 6. REMOVE the new transponder key, insert the Master Working Key and START the engine to END the programming mode. 7. Turn off engine and remove Master Working Key and insert the new transponder key you just programmed and START the engine. If it starts then the programming was successful. (I had no failures with 3 new keys so I don't think this process is very time sensitive.) Repeat all steps for each new key. Total cost for my 3 spare keys was $25. I read somewhere that the cars computer can store up to 12 key codes so each key has its own RF code. I also read that there is a procedure to remove the key codes, but that sounds dangerous because if you accidently remove the key codes for all keys including the Master Working Key then you'll be towing the car to the dealer and forking out the big bucks. Hope this can save some of you a little dough programming your spare keys. I'll post the programming of the Key Fobs when I receive them, I bought 2 new un programmed key fobs on ebay for $40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page