Several problems, Loss of oil pressure after filter and oil change. Random Code P0304 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.2?
Share it here, and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
PAA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Several problems, Loss of oil pressure after filter and oil change. Random Code P0304

Hello. I'm new to the forum but I have been reading various post for a time now. Very helpful.
However i have a few problems a cannot resolve and I would be very happy for all the tips i can get.
The motor is 1az-fe (2002 car with ATM and 4x4) and was installed two years ago as a complete renewed unit.
The problems started with a p0304 code a few months ago. The code happends a bit random.
The code reader shows the misfiring on cyl 4 but also some occasionally on the others.
I tought it could be the coil and swapped it. No change. Changed the plugs and airfilter. No change.
Changed all the injectors with new ones. No change.
The motor did not use oil. There are no oil in the cooling water (or water in the oil).
I've checked compression on all cylinder - its ok. Plan to do a cylinder leakage test later if I dont find another cause for the P0304
Decided to change the oilfilter and the oil also when I was doing all this work.
I have newer had any oil pressure problems earlier. Changed the filter and filled oil. No problem so far.
Thought however it too a bit longer for the oil lamp to go out but thought is was due to the change.
Not been driving much due to the P0304 fault. Maybe 10-15 miles for testing. Also some idle.
Then I noticed that the oil lamp started to flicker and did not stop even if I reved the engine.
Thought the switch was gone and replaced it. No change. I hooked up a pressure reader and the pressure
is about 5-6 psi. the switch lights the oil lamp at approx 3 psi (stamped on the switch 0,2 bar).
When the engine is warm the lights starts to flicker and the oil pressure do not rise with higher revs.
There are no knocking sounds from the engine. Today I drained the oil. Completly fine and no metal. (the first oil I drained was also fine - black but fine)
Removed the oilfilter for inspection. Lowered the oilpan - no sludge - no metal - all looks fine. The
intake screen on the pump is fine - no sludge. Did flush with pressurized air through the oil pressure switch mounting hole
to check if it was clogged. Air flows fine down to the oil filter and out (no filter mounted). I'm going to check the
overpressure valve in the pump tomorrow. The 27 mm plug was stuck so I need to get me a breakerbar.
I going to replace the oil filter, fill with new oil. But what is going on ? Any idea ? Bad oilfilter ? Bad oil pump (motor milage after replaced approx 15000 miles) ? Anyhing else ? Oiltype (filled syntetic 5W-30) ?
I did not remove the pump because all papers I've read say You also need to remove the timing chain.... ?
This I do not understand because the pump, sprocket, chain etc are reachable from the underside ??
A lot of text - so down to two things : P0304 and next to nothing oilpressure. Ideas ??
Concerning the P0304. STFT is around 0 (-2/+2%) on both banks. LTFT is on bank 1, around -17% and bank 2, around -13%.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1198 Post(s)
Seems you've done a very logical and complete analysis. I have no guesses on the oil pressure and only one hint on the misfire. I recently worked on a 2003 Civic the kept showing a cylinder 2 misfire. Compression was very good and swapping coils & injectors didn't make any difference. Turned out the be clogged EGR passages in the other three cylinders causing all EGR to go the #2 making it too lean. So maybe yours is something to do with the EGR system but the Civic had 210,000 miles on it not much less like yours.

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Barcelona Red Limited - wife's
2018 Accord Hybrid, Blue Pearl - Dr. Dyno's - 47/47 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2003 F-250 4X4 - eventual replacement for the '99
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport
1968 Volvo 1800S

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!

"If you really believe you get what you pay for there's no such thing as a good deal."
The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dyno For This Useful Post:
PAA (04-04-2017)
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
My recent P0304 (2003, 1AZFE), was from a faulty ignition coil. I also had oil seeping from my valve cover gasket. Have you tested the ignition coils?

2003 Toyota Rav4 -- 2.0 VVT-I/Auto/4WD, 157k

Current Mods: FormFit Bugflector, AVS Ventvisors, OEM Foglights, OEM Heated Mirrors
Stereo: Eclipse AVN5500, JL Audio C2-650X 6.5" 2-way speakers
The Following User Says Thank You to 03rav4inPA For This Useful Post:
PAA (04-04-2017)

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03rav4inPA View Post
My recent P0304 (2003 1AZFE) was from a faulty ignition coil. I also had oil seeping from my valve cover gasket. Have you tested the ignition coils?
From about 1/3 the way into his post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAA View Post
I thought it could be the coil and swapped it. No change. Changed the plugs and air filter. No change.
PAA (04-04-2017)
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dyno View Post
From about 1/3 the way into his post:
Yeah I understand that, but when mine did it, the code also threw for multiple cylinder misfires in addition to the bad coil, #3 in my case. I think it's possible he needs to check the other coils just incase. The easy way and pull to see if it doesn't stumble.

Current Mods: FormFit Bugflector, AVS Ventvisors, OEM Foglights, OEM Heated Mirrors
PAA (04-04-2017)
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

The misfire might not be consistent enough to isolate at idle. With the Civic the engine ran perfect even with the code and MIL. I just had to fix the code to get thru CT emissions.
In any case IMO his low oil pressure is his dominant issue.
PAA (04-04-2017)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Only because it wasn't listed above... is this oil filter supposed to be a check valve design?
The Following User Says Thank You to tom1977 For This Useful Post:
PAA (04-04-2017)
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
PAA

(Thread Starter)
Hi - Sorry for not replying - been away a few days. thansk for all input.
I bought one new coil and moved it around but the misfire stayed at #4. I will double check again.
And also check the EGR system. I also need to get this resolved due to emission testing.
I also have oil in one plug hole. I will change the seal.
I will also try to remove the nut on the overflow valve on the pump again. It seems stuck and I am afraid
of putting on too much force and break something. Its is just aluminium... any experiences on this issue ?
See that the torque is 50 Nm so it sould be possible to loosen...
Concerning the oil pressure. I've bought a new oilfilter. tried to blow air trough the old one and the new one.
It seems to flow much easier through the new one. Maybe (hopefully) it is just a question about a bad oilfilter..? i dont know until I've finished.
I wrote a bit wrong info above concerning the age of the motor. It's about 5-6 years since I changed the motor but the car has not run more than about 30-35000 km that time.
Condition of the oil and lack of metal etc in the oilpan should confirm that things are ok inside (at least with the bearings etc..).
Anyone tried to change the oilpump from the underside without removing the timing etc ? Is it possible ?
Will fill with W10-40 semi syntetic oil this time (not 5W-30 syntetic as i did last time).
Thanks so far.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
PAA

(Thread Starter)
No it's not consistent enough. it can run on idle many 10-15-20 min or more without any misfire one day. Next day more misfires. Looks sometimes that it is more when it is mid between cold and normal temp.
Seems sometimes that when put on load it increases and sometimes not... not easy this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAA View Post
No it's not consistent enough. it can run on idle many 10-15-20 min or more without any misfire one day. Next day more misfires. Looks sometimes that it is more when it is mid between cold and normal temp.
Seems sometimes that when put on load it increases and sometimes not... not easy this.
Misfires are hard to diagnose when they act erratic as you describe. Before my bad coil threw an engine light (took about 2 weeks to throw a light), it acted exactly as you described which makes me think you possibly just have a weak coil elsewhere in your group of 4. I know coils are testable with multimeters, perhaps you have one at your disposal? If the Ohms are way off, you may have simply a failing coil contributing to your stumble.

PAA (04-04-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page