DIY Replace Rear Shoes, Hardware & Drums - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 D.I.Y. and Modifications Share your RAV4.1 projects and ideas for future mods here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hey Elle_Rav4 -- I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier. Any good grease will work, but it needs to be high-heat and sticky for the bosses. Though are what tend to making a "chirp" noise, like a little bird. I use the anti-seize there because ever a very thin layer of anti-seize eliminates noises most of the time for metal-to-metal contacts.

(I use the Permatex anti-seize and the Syl-Glide (shown in the document) because I always have that stuff on hand. The Syl-Glide is also safe for the caliper pin bushes and caliper pin boots on the front breaks, so its good to have on hand.)

For the brake cylinder boots, just be sure use a rubber-safe grease (like Syl-Glide or the pink Toyota Rubber grease -- something that is NOT cause the rubber to swell). And lastly, make sure you were a good mask or respirator when doing the job because that brake dust is nasty stuff and there is usually a lot of it inside a drum (but you know that from being at the junkyard)!
The Following User Says Thank You to demoder For This Useful Post:
Elle_Rav4 (04-16-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:02 PM

Thank you for the tips, Eodgator and demoder. I installed the salvage yard brake drums (from a 2002 Rav4) the other day. The wooka-wooka noise is gone. I know the salvage yard brake drums have a lot less wear on them, because I can pull up the emergency hand brake only about two clicks versus about five or so with the old brake drums. (I did not touch the star adjuster.) The brake pedal similarly responds with less deflection. Also my old brake drums lacked the quarter-size rubber covers that allow access to the star adjuster. I wonder if water was getting into the drums and causing more rust than usual. I did not add more grease, but in the future I will use the CRC grease and rubber-safe grease you all suggest. I have a bit of squeaking/squealing in cold weather. As a next step, I figure the couple handfuls of rusty-looking front and rear brake hardware are due for replacement. From Autozone for the front:
https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-...125330_0_12314
Plus maybe this:
https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-...633739_0_23467

1998 Rav4, Manual Transmission, 2WD, JDM engine with 85k miles in early 2019
The Following User Says Thank You to Elle_Rav4 For This Useful Post:
eodgator (04-16-2019)
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Garage
You need to look at the condition of the front brake pads, are they down to the wear indicators or getting close?

On the fronts brakes on the back side of the pads coat with CRC disc brake quiet https://www.autozone.com/brake-and-p...iet/348169_0_0.

If I were to go through the trouble of pulling the front brakes apart I would get a kit and replace pads, springs, anti rattle clips all at once. At AutoZone they are about $29.00 US and up.

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

RAV4.1, 1999 RAV4, 3S-FE engine, E250F transaxle 5sp AWD, 5 door, LHD, Redneck Edition (RNE), Mossy Oak Obsession wrap, heavily modded, TOAD
'96 Newmar Mountain Aire, 40' diesel pusher motorhome, the mothership
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eodgator For This Useful Post:
demoder (04-20-2019), Elle_Rav4 (04-16-2019)

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:21 PM

I installed new Toyota OEM front brake pads just this past November. I do not expect them to be worn down to the wear indicator. I will check out the "Disc Brake Quiet" along with new brake hardware.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
Make sure you installed them correctly, I've found where people installed them wrong and they wore at an angle. But, you're right if you just replaced them then it's probably something else making the noise. I have often found that it's the lack of the disk brake quiet that made the squeal. If they aren't rattling you don't need the other hardware.

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

RAV4.1, 1999 RAV4, 3S-FE engine, E250F transaxle 5sp AWD, 5 door, LHD, Redneck Edition (RNE), Mossy Oak Obsession wrap, heavily modded, TOAD
The Following User Says Thank You to eodgator For This Useful Post:
Elle_Rav4 (04-16-2019)
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eodgator View Post
On the fronts brakes on the back side of the pads coat with CRC disc brake quiet https://www.autozone.com/brake-and-p...iet/348169_0_0.
+1 on the CRC Disc Quiet -- that stuff is great. I haven't used it on a Rav, but have on Mercedes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to demoder For This Useful Post:
Elle_Rav4 (04-20-2019), eodgator (04-20-2019)
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
I forgot another big cause of brake noise is the dust shield getting bent up against the rotor.

Here as a video fro ChrisFix on brake noise, see

The Following User Says Thank You to eodgator For This Useful Post:
Elle_Rav4 (04-20-2019)
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 04:50 PM

Thanks for the further input demoder. I'm on it. Great video, Eodgator. I have had this light sandpaper-y sound since purchase this past August. The video makes me think my rotors could stand replacement, or there is rust behind the rotors, et cetera. I will spray down the rotor fasteners with PB Blaster soon, in preparation for possible replacement. The front brake rotors were replaced in 2011 (a few owners ago). I will check the dust shield, too. The aforementioned wooka-wooka noise remains absent (hurrah!). I get the squealing (when braking) only when the temp is around 32 degrees or lower.

Progress in putting my Rav4.1 in tip-top condition remains good. I am now just happily tweaking things. With luck, in a few more months I will once again have my own driveway.

The Following User Says Thank You to Elle_Rav4 For This Useful Post:
eodgator (04-20-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page