What size tires and what issues have you had? - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 D.I.Y. and Modifications Share your RAV4.1 projects and ideas for future mods here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 92 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Sueno View Post
Any progress updates?

This is the swap I always wanted in the RAV4, just couldn't find someone willing and able to install it. =(

What kind of issues did you have with the wheels?
Possibly the low offset with taller tire combo?

My summer wheels are 17x8 with a 38 offset, and tires are 225/60/17 and no clearance issues.
Tire Size.......Diameter.......Width
225-60-17......27.63"........8.86"

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

RAV4.1, 1999 RAV4, 3S-FE engine, E250F transaxle 5sp AWD, 5 door, LHD, Redneck Edition (RNE), Mossy Oak Obsession wrap, heavily modded, TOAD
'96 Newmar Mountain Aire, 40' diesel pusher motorhome, the mothership
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
This was posted by IloveZenyatta

Smile After Market Tires Rims Pls help....
I have a 1997 Rav4 White 2dr
I want to add after market rims and tires
Can I go with 235-50-18 without any adjustments or whatever?
I want the wheel well to look full but a little wide...I'm not sure about this.
I need all the RAV4 experts and I know your reading this
Please send Pics if you have a Rav4 on 18s. Please advise if necessary...

The below was my reply.
That tire (may vary slightly by brand and tire type) specs are as follows:

TIRE SIZE.....TIRE WT.....RIM WIDTH.....RIM WIDTH.....SECT. WIDTH.....TREAD WIDTH.....OVERALL DIAM.....REVS PER MILE
235-50-18......30 lbs.........6.5-8.5".............7.5".................9.7"........ ..........8.8".....................27.2".......... ........762
235-60-16......22 lbs.........6.5-8.5".............7.0".................9.4"........ ..........8.0".....................27.0".......... ........769
215-70-16......28 lbs.........5.5-7.0".............6.5".................8.7"........ ..........7.0".....................27.9".......... ........746

I think it would work without a problem depending on your rim offset.

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

RAV4.1, 1999 RAV4, 3S-FE engine, E250F transaxle 5sp AWD, 5 door, LHD, Redneck Edition (RNE), Mossy Oak Obsession wrap, heavily modded, TOAD
post #13 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I'm updating my tire charts to show a lot more information

TIRE...............TIRE.......RIM WIDTH.....SECTION.....TREAD.......OVERALL.......RE VOLUTIONS.....REQUIRES
SIZE............WEIGHT.........RANGE.........WIDTH ......WIDTH......DIAMETER.........PER MILE.............LIFT........COMMENTS
235-60-16......22 lbs.........6.5-8.5"..........9.4"...........8.0".........27.0"... ...............769..................No.........Opt ional from Toyota
215-70-16......28 lbs.........5.5-7.0"..........8.7"...........7.0".........27.9"... ...............746..................No.........Sto ck
235-50-18......30 lbs.........6.5-8.5"..........9.7"...........8.8".........27.2"... ...............762..................No.........Wid th could be a problem
235-65-16......28 lbs.........6.5-8.5"..........9.5"...........7.1".........28.0"... ...............742..................No.........A step up, no problems for stock RAV4s
225-70-16......27 lbs.........6.0-7.5"..........6.5"...........6.8".........28.4"... ...............733..................No.........Thi s is the largest that a stock RAV4 can handle with minor scrubbing on full lockup and removing the "bump". On automatic RAV4's it may scrub the transmission unless spacers are used.
215-75-16......29 lbs.........5.5-7.0"..........8.5"...........6.2".........28.9"... ...............719..................Yes
235-70-16......31 lbs.........6.0-8.0"..........9.5"...........7.4".........29.0"... ...............719..................Yes
255-65-16......32 lbs.........7.0-9.0"........10.2"...........8.1".........29.1".... ..............717..................Yes........The width may require firewall mods
225-75-16......31 lbs.........6.0-7.5"..........8.8"...........7.2".........29.3"... ...............711..................Yes
245-70-16......32 lbs.........6.5-8.0"..........9.8"...........7.7".........29.5"... ...............705..................Yes
235-75-16......34 lbs.........6.0-7.5"..........9.3"...........7.4".........29.9"... ...............698..................Yes........Too big even with a lift without serious firewall modifications, this is what I currently have, others claim to have installed this size of tire but no information as to any problems that had to be resolved.
Any larger sizes will require more than a lift and spacers to work without scrubbing.

Obviously there are many more sizes out there, keep us posted, let us know what you are running and what challenges you had to get it to work, and I'll try to keep this chart updated.

post #14 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00btard View Post
I have 235/70r16s without a lift and without issue thus far. Will install a Tough Dog lift Thursday (OME is no longer for sale here in Aus) but don't need to for the tyres.

I'll attatch a pic, but don't expect pretty. This is a broke phd researcher's outback research machine to get out to remote indigenous country.
The OME is made in Australia and and are still offered in their catalog, just not listed on their page for some reason. I have run into this problem in a few places lately, sometimes the web helps, and other time it is better to contact the company and ask them.

99 Rav4 in Quicksilver
AWD & LSD with Moon Roof. Power Everything, except the manual Leather Seats and Transmission.
Selectable DRL, Inactive ABS, In-dash CB with Wilson roof-mount antenna, Clearance 10'8".
2.0l 5-speed.
86 Ford Truck
420ci 8-speed.
post #15 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

On the Torsen question, contact Toyota with the vin number is the easiest way, or the fun way is to find a place where you can dangle one of the rear wheels, and then try to drive off.
If the hanging wheel steals all the power then you have an open-differential and not the Torsen, be sure to stop the spinning wheel before activating the center diff lock.

If you try this with the automatic, it would be best to have some friends with you.

99 Rav4 in Quicksilver
AWD & LSD with Moon Roof. Power Everything, except the manual Leather Seats and Transmission.
Selectable DRL, Inactive ABS, In-dash CB with Wilson roof-mount antenna, Clearance 10'8".
2.0l 5-speed.
86 Ford Truck
420ci 8-speed.
post #16 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundabout View Post
If the hanging wheel steals all the power then you have an open-differential and not the Torsen.

Torsen are not like viscous or clutch-packs limited slip differentials. If a torsen have one wheel that does not touch the ground, it acts exactly like an open diff. To act as a lsd, a torsen needs to have resistance on both wheels.
post #17 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Here is some info about wheel sizing:

The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. The offset can be one of three types, (measured in millimeters). ref tirerack.com
Zero Offset - The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.
Positive - The hub mounting surface is located in the front half of the wheel closer to the wheel face.
Negative - The hub mounting surface is located in the back half of the wheel closer to the back lip flange.

For more detailed information see - https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech...jsp?techid=101

And see "The Right Fit is More Than Just Diameter" - https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech...jsp?techid=103

And one other thing to know is "How We Know What Fits" - https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech....jsp?techid=95

My wheels are 16X7.5 5114 ET40 AR RAZOR
- 16 is the wheel diameter
- 7.5 is the width
- 5114 is the bolt pattern - It would actually be 5 x 4.50 or in metric 5 x 114.3
- ET40 is the offset - The term ET originates from the German word 'Einpresstiefe' which translates as 'insertion depth'. So my rims are positive 40mm offset
- AR Razor is the make and model of my rim
- Centerbore - 60.1mm - Is one other crucial measurement that is not listed here which would be the diameter of the hole in the center of the wheel. The centerbore may be larger but centering rings should be used.
.................................................. ...............
So from the above, if your wheel offset is wrong it could cause the wheel to contact the brake rotor or other suspension components. It can also cause the wheel to stick way out of the wheel wells. The wrong offset will also cause more stress on suspension components and wheel bearings, spacer can cause the same issues.

If the centerbore is too small the wheel won't fit, if too large (not a real problem) then you should use centering rings.

If the bolt pattern is wrong it won't fit.

The wheel must be the proper diameter and width for the tires being used.

post #18 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commando View Post
Torsen are not like viscous or clutch-packs limited slip differentials. If a torsen have one wheel that does not touch the ground, it acts exactly like an open diff. To act as a lsd, a torsen needs to have resistance on both wheels.
If you just jack up the rear-end and turn the tires, it does act just like an open-diff.
But when the power comes from the drive-shaft the Torsen handles it differently. And un-like the locker types, the torsen does not lose differential action when it transfers the the power to the wheel that has traction.

I will be in eastern Canada later this summer if you want to watch my little Rav4 drive off after hanging a rear wheel. Now one time when I got a front wheel airborne, without locking the center-diff, it was a different story.

99 Rav4 in Quicksilver
2.0l 5-speed.
86 Ford Truck
420ci 8-speed.
post #19 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

225/75R16 Hankook Dynapro ATm in the summer and Hankook I-Pikes in the winter. Both do great in ice, snow, dirt, gravel and the wet. They seem to be slightly weak in the dry stopping power, but add any type of moister and they really hold.

No rubbing before or after the OME lift, I think the front still has enough clearance that I could get a low-profile set or chains or cables on if I needed too. But since I have never needed to chain up the rear tires in the past 5 winters and I can't get my Rav4 to spin the tires in snow for fun even, so I think it will remain just idle speculation on my part.

99 Rav4 in Quicksilver
2.0l 5-speed.
86 Ford Truck
420ci 8-speed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roundabout For This Useful Post:
eodgator (04-25-2017)
post #20 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundabout View Post
1- If you just jack up the rear-end and turn the tires, it does act just like an open-diff.

2- But when the power comes from the drive-shaft the Torsen handles it differently.

1- Yes
2- No

I had a couple cars with torsen differentials (Celica GTFour, Lexus IS300, Matrix XRS, Supra 2.5R, Scion FRS) .... and my RAV4 is also equipped with a torsen. So I know the downside of a torsen... and experiment it every time I'm going off road and have a rear wheel airborne. I then need to pull the handbrake 2 clicks to make resistance on both rear wheels! If you don't believe it, just make a quick research on how a torsen works, you won't have to read very much.

Take it positive: maybe your torsen is defect in a good way!

2001 with 2.4 swap + RAV4.1 transmission (4.93 final drive ratio), RAV4.1 locking center differential, Lexus RX300 limited slip rear diff , Celica GT4 stage 1 SPEC clutch kit, 3" lift kit, Old Man Emu coil-springs, sway-bars delete and BFG MT KM2 235/70/16.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page