LED headlights and all exterior lights - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 D.I.Y. and Modifications Share your RAV4.1 projects and ideas for future mods here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2017, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Talking LED headlights and all exterior lights

I upgraded my headlights and exterior lights to all LED, I ordered them all from Amazon.com
- Headlights
-- Low beams - HIKARI LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit -HB4(9006),CREE XHP50 9600lm 6K Cool White
-- High beams - HIKARI LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit -HB3(9005),CREE XHP50 9600lm 6K Cool White
- Front turn signal/driving light - LED import USA 3030 SMD White/Yellow 1157 2057 2357 7528 Switchback LED Bulbs For Turn Signal Lights. These require Aaron 50W 6ohm Load Resistors - Fix LED Bulb Fast Hyper Flash Turn Signal Blink Error Code or they hyper flash.
- Front side marker light - JDM ASTAR 10pcs Super Bright 194 168 175 2825 T10 PX Chipsets LED Bulbs,Xenon White
- Rear side marker light - Bogao 1550 lumens Extremely Bright Error Free Canbus 921 912 W16W Chipsets 24 SMD 3030 LED Bulbs For -
Backup Reverse Lights, Xenon White
- Third brake light - JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright Canbus Error Free 3014 Chipsets 194 168 2825 W5W T10 LED Bulbs,Brilliant Red
- Brake Lights - JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright PX Chipsets 7440 7441 7443 7444 992 LED Bulbs ,Brilliant Red
- Backup lights - JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright Max 50W High Power 7440 7441 7443 7444 992 LED Bulbs ,Xenon White
- Rear turn signal - SUGERYY 2 X 2590 Lumens Extremely Bright Error Free 3030 Chipsets 7507 T20 LED Bulbs Used for Turn Signal Lights,Amber Yellow

Pictures to follow.

These LEDs are an impressive upgrade over stock lights and they may be a little too bright for tailgaters... hmmm, maybe that's a good thing.

The headlight low beams have a flatter pattern which I think should be less blinding to oncoming traffic than halogen. Too bad I couldn't find a set of projectors without have to take my headlights apart and doing the mod. Maybe something for a latter mod. Several sites list projector headlight assemblies preassembled but everytime I've tried to buy the they are out of stock.

There is something to be aware of is that there is something called a standard and a CK socket for the brake lights and the front turn signals. Mine were not CK but from what I understand you may have them in your RAV, so check. You can use a standard socket bulb in a CK socket but you have to mod the bub terminal slightly. See -

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

RAV4.1, 1999 RAV4, 3S-FE engine, E250F transaxle 5sp AWD, 5 door, LHD, Redneck Edition (RNE), Mossy Oak Obsession wrap, heavily modded, TOAD
'96 Newmar Mountain Aire, 40' diesel pusher motorhome, the mothership
The Following User Says Thank You to eodgator For This Useful Post:
hakubiwashu (12-12-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2017, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I travel all over the USA and I researched my most frequented states statutes and federal CFRs to make sure that I was legal with my lights and as far as I can determine that as long as they are marked DOT or SAE, are the right height, correct location, correct number, proper arrangement, and are properly aimed (any headlight out of alignment, even if you are towing can get you a citation) they are legal. I did find some sites where people claimed that certain bulbs are illegal HID, LED, any aftermarket bulbs and I guess they are misinformed and passing on misinformation. Now, if you modify the headlight, such as opening it up and installing projector assemblies, you have voided the DOT certification and are subject to legal action. But, even doing this you are not likely to get pulled over as long as the headlamps are properly aimed and of the correct color. For example in Florida and most states you cannot have headlamps that don't have white light.

Again, you must make sure the headlights are marked DOT, aimed properly, and no color other than white. I tried going through the CFRs but, they are very confusing and written in a combination of engineeringese, lawyerese, and I think Chinese. Anyway I found nothing in utah, federal regulations, or any other state that specifically states thou shalt not use LED headlamps or any other light as long as they are marked DOT or SAE.

I did find something out, my brush guard has small bars across the headlights - and they are not legal.

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

RAV4.1, 1999 RAV4, 3S-FE engine, E250F transaxle 5sp AWD, 5 door, LHD, Redneck Edition (RNE), Mossy Oak Obsession wrap, heavily modded, TOAD
Old 06-30-2017, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just put some LED bulbs in my '98 RAV4's tails, my sockets were a CK config so I had to rearrange the contacts after using a multimeter to find which wires were ground and which were positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to BodenM For This Useful Post:
eodgator (07-02-2017)

Old 07-02-2017, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BodenM View Post
I just put some LED bulbs in my '98 RAV4's tails, my sockets were a CK config so I had to rearrange the contacts after using a multimeter to find which wires were ground and which were positive.
So the YouTube video helped out or not?

Old 07-02-2017, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eodgator View Post
So the YouTube video helped out or not?
Yep, it was really helpful, I probably wouldn't have figured out how the contact wires needed to be bent otherwise.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eodgator View Post
Pictures to follow.
I would love to see some nighttime side-by-side shots with a stock 4.1. You know, if the opportunity ever presents itself

That is a super useful parts list you’ve put together, btw.

Some say that his engine runs on fear. And that hes the reason Waldo is hiding. All we know is, hes called The STIG
The Following User Says Thank You to stiglet For This Useful Post:
eodgator (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiglet View Post
I would love to see some nighttime side-by-side shots with a stock 4.1. You know, if the opportunity ever presents itself

That is a super useful parts list youve put together, btw.
I wish I had taken before and after shots of the lights but I will try to find another 4.1 owner with original lights and see if we can do a side by side shoot. When I upgraded I had the car pretty much torn down to apply the camo wrap and decided I wanted to upgrade to brighter lights when I put her back together. I also upgraded the dash and interior lights that is in a different thread - https://www.rav4world.com/forums/94-4...-polarity.html

One thing I learned doing this and that is to try to use CANBUS LEDs when possible particularly in the dash. Regular LEDs will not light properly, will glow dimly even when they shouldn't be, and sometimes throw error codes.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Great write up, has anybody found a turn signal flasher relay that works for LEDS with the 4.1?
The Following User Says Thank You to hakubiwashu For This Useful Post:
eodgator (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakubiwashu View Post
Great write up, has anybody found a turn signal flasher relay that works for LEDS with the 4.1?
I didn't go that route, I kept the stock flasher, and used CANBUS LEDs on the rear which don't require the anything special and a combination white with yellow flasher for the front that requires 6 ohm resister to prevent hyper flash. I was willing to do this because I wanted a bright white light up front as a daytime running light.

See the first post on this thread and it spells it all out.

BTW always use CANBUS LEDs where you can to prevent problems.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Great write up like I said. Can I post a thread about the LED flasher topic to try and get some help from others?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement