AISIN TKT-002 Timing Belt Kit picture - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 D.I.Y. and Modifications Share your RAV4.1 projects and ideas for future mods here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
AISIN TKT-002 Timing Belt Kit picture

Next week I will be changing the timing belt and related components on my '00 (188K miles). The belt was last changed in '07 at 109K miles, so I'm living on a borrowed time, but have the time to do it next week. The belt looks alright (for whatever that means!), but I know the oil pump gasket is leaking. The recommended interval for '98-'00 Ravs is 90K miles or 6 years, which ever is first.

I ordered the parts from a few different sources, and wanted to share a picture of the AISIN kit. I'm very pleased with the quality of the parts, especially considering the price. I bought the kit through Walmart.com for $100.57, shipped. The same kit is available on Amazon or Rock Auto, but I decided to use Walmart because when its "Sold and Shipped by Walmart", there is a 90 day no-questions-asked return policy, instead of the 30-day policy of Rock Auto and Amazon, and I can return it directly to a Walmart store. The parts themselves have a 12-month/12K miles warranty from AISIN.

This kit includes the following:

- AISIN water pump, Made in Japan (the full pump assembly, with the housing, not just the pump face)
- gaskets for the water pump (three O-rings and one metal gasket)
- Mitsuboshi Timing Belt, CD199, Made in USA. (it is labelled, though you can't see the label in the picture)
- Koyo Tensioner, PU385827ARR9DY, Made in Japan.
- Koyo Roller Guide, PU355816RR9D, Made in Japan.

The quality looks quite good, and its been established both here and toyotanation that the kit has a reputation for its quality. I will say be sure to wash the water pump before installing it, as I found some aluminium shavings present from the manufacturing process. Other than that, the parts look great. The kit is probably the next-best to OEM, however when I priced out all-OEM parts, it was more than double this kit. The kit comes in an AISIN box, well-packaged, with the tensioner and roller guide in their own boxes. All parts are labeled. AISIN and Koyo are Toyota suppliers and are probably the companies that make the Toyota parts. Mitsuboshi makes great belts, too, and supplies Toyota (so does Bando).

Also, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the kit includes a very handy installation guide, including torque values and SST numbers, which is specific to each applications (ie, there is a page for the Rav4, and another page for the Solara, etc). Also included is a sticker to place on the timing belt cover upon which you can record the maintenance information.

I'm very pleased with the kit, and will update with performance information once I have installed it. As far as the other parts, I decided to order some Genuine Toyota parts and a some aftermarket. I decided on the following:

Toyota parts -- a single order from localpartsshop.com (total was $51.73, free shipping):

- 90311-38067, Camshaft Seal, $8.76
- 90311-42035, Front Crank Seal, $7.90
- 90507-17003, Spring Tension, $3.20
- 15165-74020, Seal Type T Oil, $7.75
- 15188-03011, Gasket, Oil Pump Body, $6.20 (this is the funny-looking, big "O-ring" that often leaks)
- 11319-74030, Timing Cover Gasket, $5.26
- 11328-74060, Timing Cover Gasket, $6.33
- 11329-74080, Timing Cover Gasket, $6.33
I ordered Toyota parts for the seals because I just like Toyota seals, but the seals are available aftermarket, as well (probably NOK). You might not need the timing cover gaskets, because they are re-useable, which saves about $19.

For the drive belts, I decided to order some from Advance Auto because I had coupons and rewards, so I got both for $21. These belts are easy to change, so I'm okay with possibly using a lower-quality part (though I don't think Dayco is low-quality):

- Alternator Drive Belt (w/AC): Dayco 5050430
- Power Steering Belt: Driveworks 300K3

The total for all my parts was $175. If you don't need those timing cover gaskets, you could get that down to about $155. Alternatively, you might consider buying more parts, such as a new thermostat (get a Toyota thermostat, about $15), since you'll be taking out the thermostat anyway. (I changed my thermostat and coolant about three years ago, so I'll just re-use both.) You could also combine a coolant change with this, since you have to drain the coolant before removing the water pump.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to demoder For This Useful Post:
97.rav4 (02-02-2018), Beaumont67 (02-04-2018), eodgator (02-16-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 01:12 AM
Your Humble Administrator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,797 Posts
Garage
AISIN is actually a subsidiary of Toyota and is at least partly owned by them. Virtually all the electric motors in my RAV4 are AISIN as well as the transmission. That's a nice kit for the price and should be identical in quality to the official Toyota parts sold by the dealer.

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

The Following User Says Thank You to JuneBug For This Useful Post:
demoder (02-04-2018)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
AISIN is actually a subsidiary of Toyota and is at least partly owned by them. Virtually all the electric motors in my RAV4 are AISIN as well as the transmission. That's a nice kit for the price and should be identical in quality to the official Toyota parts sold by the dealer.
Thanks JuneBug -- I was thinking that, since my current water pump is labelled AISIN, and the "A" in A540H stands for AISIN. I knew they were close, but I didn't know it was a subsidiary. The box is also labeled "AISIN World Corporation of America, Torrance CA" which makes sense then, because Toyota is in Torrance, as well.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I am changing mine this weekend my third timing belt change on a RAV4.

Did you fashion a special socket for the bolt near the fender well?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 03:42 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Never needed a special socket on any RAV4 timing belt job... I have done several. Which bolt are you worried about?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1977 View Post
Never needed a special socket on any RAV4 timing belt job... I have done several. Which bolt are you worried about?

There is a recessed bolt on one of the mounts near the inner fender I believe it's 17mm, if you put a regular dished socket on it you can loosen the bolt but then it becomes pressed against the inner fender well and you cannot get the wrench back off. And a combo wrench does not fit on it. I had to cut a socket in half and it works fine this way, I was just curious how other people have done it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I figured that was the bolt you were talking about, as I use a snap on ratchet 3/8 with shallow 17mm with no issues. Of course I have the mount separate at this point with a floor jack under engine to lower for best position. I can usually get the bolt loosen enough to remove with fingers when ratchet gets close to frame. They do make shallow sockets with a six point base to use a wrench on and I have seen similar style sockets that use a low profile ratcheting wrench too.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1977 View Post
I figured that was the bolt you were talking about, as I use a snap on ratchet 3/8 with shallow 17mm with no issues. Of course I have the mount separate at this point with a floor jack under engine to lower for best position. I can usually get the bolt loosen enough to remove with fingers when ratchet gets close to frame. They do make shallow sockets with a six point base to use a wrench on and I have seen similar style sockets that use a low profile ratcheting wrench too.

I assumed there was a tool I didn't have when doing this job. My caveman fashioned thing worked out well on two other timing belts. It would really suck if the threads were mangled where getting it out the rest of the way with fingers would not work. I have not had a problem yet, and hopefully I don't. I have two timing belts to do one tomorrow and one in two weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page