6-Questions:RAV4 2WD 5-Speed Transmission Fluid Change - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 D.I.Y. and Modifications Share your RAV4.1 projects and ideas for future mods here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 04:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpfleming View Post
..Damnit...I just asked a further question about this transmission oil.stuff..on the clutch change thread...see if I can move it..

@ Eodgater.... great info on the manual transmission oil ..but Im a lil confused. You say that manual transmission oil for a synchromesh 'box should NOT have MT-1 in the specs ..... which is fine ..but I have never found a GL-5 transmission oil that was NOT also MT-1!?! ..
Its possible to find GL-4 oil without the MT-1 bit ...but what should 4WD 5spd rav owners do ...given that the advice is always use GL-5??

Im especially interested... since i have a lil synchro issue..and my 'box was recwntly filled with full synth GL-5 with the MT-1 part!
Red Line #57904 75W-90 GL-5 Gear Oil (wrong info, not suitable oil)
Royal Purple MAX GEAR 75W90 GL-4 and GL-5 – High Performance Synthetic Gear Oil

There are many others it just takes a while to search for it. Be careful many sites will list the wrong gear oi.

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

RAV4.1, 1999 RAV4, 3S-FE engine, E250F transaxle 5sp AWD, 5 door, LHD, Redneck Edition (RNE), Mossy Oak Obsession wrap, heavily modded, TOAD
'96 Newmar Mountain Aire, 40' diesel pusher motorhome, the mothership

Last edited by Mick Hatzo; 01-04-2019 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Highlighted wrong info per request
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
A few others...

Motul Gear 300 75W-90 GL-4 and GL-5 Synthetic
RAVENOL VSG SAE 75W-90 GL-4 and GL-5 Synthetic

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

RAV4.1, 1999 RAV4, 3S-FE engine, E250F transaxle 5sp AWD, 5 door, LHD, Redneck Edition (RNE), Mossy Oak Obsession wrap, heavily modded, TOAD
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
gpfleming

As noted (above), I employed this in my FWD transmission fluid R&R:

• OIL: Red Line #50305 (Gal.) or #50304 (Qt.) MT-90 Manual Transmission Oil 75W-90 GL-4 Synthetic Gear Oil.
Also, as noted above, two different Toyota Parts Depts. told me to employ GL-5 (wrong). I chose the #50305 based on entering my vehicle info at Red Line's website "Select Products for My Vehicle." R&R'ing to correct fluid-type has ceased my Clutch slippage.

'98 RAV4 5-Speed 2WD 4-Dr. hardtop 2.0-L. gas I-4 engine. Venetian Red Pearl. Tail Light Guards (Manik). Michelin LTX M/S2 tires & spare. LED headlamps. Roof luggage rack. 5th-door saddle bags. Custom leather steering wheel cover. Sheepskin seat covers. Billiard ball #13 shift knob. Alloy wheels. Push Bar grille guard, LED fog lamps. Suede door panel inserts. Faux-suede center console cover. Driver/passenger grab-assist handles.

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 12:06 AM
Advanced Member

Garage
Sorry I put down the wrong Red Line gear oil above. DO NOT USE THE Red Line #57904 75W-90 GL-5 Gear Oil

post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
eodgator

Thanks for noting error. Would you kindly return to your post w/ erroneous Red Line #57904 75W-90 GL-5... and change it to correct grade? Or, at least, would you return to your post and in parentheses put "WRONG OIL" or some such (so that no one sees erroneous Red Line #57904 and thinks that's correct).

MANY THANKS!

'98 RAV4 5-Speed 2WD 4-Dr. hardtop 2.0-L. gas I-4 engine. Venetian Red Pearl. Tail Light Guards (Manik). Michelin LTX M/S2 tires & spare. LED headlamps. Roof luggage rack. 5th-door saddle bags. Custom leather steering wheel cover. Sheepskin seat covers. Billiard ball #13 shift knob. Alloy wheels. Push Bar grille guard, LED fog lamps. Suede door panel inserts. Faux-suede center console cover. Driver/passenger grab-assist handles.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 12:39 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
hmmm... I find it more than a little disconcerting that the specs of gear oil should be so messed up!

If the owners manual of a 4wd rav says GL-5 ...then..that really is all we should be looking for & then using .... but nowhere in any manual (at least to my knowledge) does it say..'but NOT MT-1' .

This is seriously poor ... not on the part of Toyota..but of API, who are presumably the folk who determine the specs..and who label them as suitable..or otherwise for a particular use.

Seems to me there really ought to be another gear oil spec ... one that is completely suitable for modern hypoid synchromesh gearboxes ... and it should be labelled..CLEARLY. ..instead of having to look for GL-4/5 ...but without MT-1!! .. incredible.

Because of the current poor labelling.... I would say its a fair bet, that there are TENS OF MILLIONS of modern (all synchromesh) manual transmission vehicles are driving around with MT-1 spec oil !!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gpfleming For This Useful Post:
Elle_Rav4 (01-03-2019), eodgator (01-03-2019)
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 01:11 AM
Advanced Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techsus View Post
eodgator

Thanks for noting error. Would you kindly return to your post w/ erroneous Red Line #57904 75W-90 GL-5... and change it to correct grade? Or, at least, would you return to your post and in parentheses put "WRONG OIL" or some such (so that no one sees erroneous Red Line #57904 and thinks that's correct).

MANY THANKS!
Unfortunately I cannot edit it or I would go back and fix it. You can edit for a short time and then it locks you out.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eodgator For This Useful Post:
Elle_Rav4 (01-03-2019), Techsus (01-03-2019)
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 01:50 AM
Advanced Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpfleming View Post
hmmm... I find it more than a little disconcerting that the specs of gear oil should be so messed up!

If the owners manual of a 4wd rav says GL-5 ...then..that really is all we should be looking for & then using .... but nowhere in any manual (at least to my knowledge) does it say..'but NOT MT-1' .

This is seriously poor ... not on the part of Toyota..but of API, who are presumably the folk who determine the specs..and who label them as suitable..or otherwise for a particular use.

Seems to me there really ought to be another gear oil spec ... one that is completely suitable for modern hypoid synchromesh gearboxes ... and it should be labelled..CLEARLY. ..instead of having to look for GL-4/5 ...but without MT-1!! .. incredible.

Because of the current poor labelling.... I would say its a fair bet, that there are TENS OF MILLIONS of modern (all synchromesh) manual transmission vehicles are driving around with MT-1 spec oil !!
Yes you are correct it's very confusing and I found that the gear oil I've been using that is Red Line 58304 75W90NS (NS = No Slip) GL-5 for synchronized transaxles is API MT-1 compliant which is a contradiction! But it works and works great, and I didn't realize it was MT-1 compliant until I started researching this stuff. So now you have to rely on if it says it's for synchronized transmissions or not. And avoid the ones with sulfur, sulfur is corrosive to the syncros. When you read through the forums here and on other sites it's obvious that everyone is confused by the lousy labeling and standards of gear oils.

The Following User Says Thank You to eodgator For This Useful Post:
Elle_Rav4 (01-03-2019)
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 03:15 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
so the good Red Line GL-5 oil that you yourself use and recommend ... doesnt say MT-1 on the bottle (presumably!) ..but is actually MT-1 compliant ..and is therefore ..'for non-synchromesh 'boxes'

what a mess .. 😕
The Following User Says Thank You to gpfleming For This Useful Post:
Elle_Rav4 (01-05-2019)
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Garage
Clarification on all this gear oil stuff can be found at RAV4.1 Manual Transmission Gear Oil Choices

The Following User Says Thank You to eodgator For This Useful Post:
Elle_Rav4 (05-12-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page