6-Questions:RAV4 2WD 5-Speed Transmission Fluid Change - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 D.I.Y. and Modifications Share your RAV4.1 projects and ideas for future mods here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
6-Questions:RAV4 2WD 5-Speed Transmission Fluid Change

Tried researching this fully before posting. Loads of YouTube videos out there, but ridiculously, most don't specify "2WD" or "4WD" or even "automatic" or "standard" transmission! Researched Haynes Manual & searched this Forum too.

Preparing to change transmission fluid. Occurred to me to change rear axle fluid too...
VEHICLE: 1998 RAV4 5-speed 2WD 4-door

Q. #1: Am I looking for Drain/Fill plug(s) at rear axle that don't exist? Haynes Manual p. 1-2 states: "Rear Differential fluid: 4WD." Nothing about 2WD. Before crawling under rear axle, I want to make sure I'm looking for something that exists. Is there anything else I should change while I'm doing the Transmission Fluid change job?
Q. #2. Do you prefer 15/16-in. socket or 24-mm. for transaxle Drain/Fill plugs?
Q. #3. Choose one: 3/8-in. or 1/2-in. Drive?
Q. #4. I know to pull Filler Plug first (in case Drain Plug won't pull, I won't get "stuck"). Any other tips for changing out tranny fluid on my manual transmission 2WD? I'll use Red Line #57905 75W-90 GL-5 Gear Oil.
Q. #5. Haynes specs state Capacity: 4.1-Qt. Do I really need to buy 5-Qts. or can I get away w/ 1-Gal.?
Q. #6. When a shop changes out the clutch, would they be required/forced to drain (and refill) transmission fluid? I had clutch replaced a few years back, trying to figure out last time transmission fluid was changed.

Thanks tons all and Merry Christmas! You're all just the greatest.

'98 RAV4 5-Speed 2WD 4-Dr. hardtop 2.0-L. gas I-4 engine. Venetian Red Pearl. Tail Light Guards (Manik). Michelin LTX M/S2 tires & spare. LED headlamps. Roof luggage rack. 5th-door saddle bags. Custom leather steering wheel cover. Sheepskin seat covers. Billiard ball #13 shift knob. Alloy wheels. Push Bar grille guard, LED fog lamps. Suede door panel inserts. Faux-suede center console cover. Driver/passenger grab-assist handles.

Last edited by Techsus; 12-19-2018 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Tighten line spacing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 12:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Garage
Techsus, I'll try to answer your questions

1 - On the 2wd there is only one drain plug, there is a 2nd drain plug on the 4wd version only.
2 - 24mm is the actual size but if 15/16 (23.812mm) fits, it would most likely be okay. I personally prefer impact wrench sockets because they are 6 point and less likely to strip a nut/bolt
3 - For 24mm I would use 1/2 inch drive
4 - Correct always pull fill plugs first. Red Line #57905 75W-90 GL-5 Gear Oil CANNOT be used in a synchronized transmission it has friction modifiers which prevent the synchros from working properly. For more information why this matters see https://www.rav4world.com/forums/83-...l-choices.html and https://www.rav4world.com/forums/85-...done-shop.html. However this would be fine in the differential. If you want to use Red Line use 58304 (75W90) Synthetic Gear Oil, designed for transmissions and transaxles - helps to slow synchros for easier shifting across a broad temperature range...
5 - I don't know, fill it and see where it comes to when you put your finger in the fill hole to see if it's full or till it overflows. You aren't going to get all of the old fluid out so there may be enough remaining so you won't need 0.1 quarts to top it off. But if it isn't full, then yes you will need that last little bit.
6 - When you pull the axles to pull the transmission some of the fluid will leak out. I have no idea if your shop would have drained all the fluid but they would or at least should have as a minimum topped of the fluid.

Warm the transmission up before draining, this stuff is thick and doesn't flow well when cold.
After the fluid drains into a clean pan let it settle while you refill the transmission. Slowly pour the oil into a container for recycling and when finished look at the bottom of the container for debris. A little fine metal is to be expected, a lot of metal is not, big pieces of metal is not good either, and no other debris should be in there. The debris check doesn't tell you that transmission failure is imminent, it is just to let you know that you may have a problem developing.

Keep us posted on how your change comes out.

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

RAV4.1, 1999 RAV4, 3S-FE engine, E250F transaxle 5sp AWD, 5 door, LHD, Redneck Edition (RNE), Mossy Oak Obsession wrap, heavily modded, TOAD
'96 Newmar Mountain Aire, 40' diesel pusher motorhome, the mothership
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 01:01 AM
Advanced Member

Garage
Merry Christmas

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

RAV4.1, 1999 RAV4, 3S-FE engine, E250F transaxle 5sp AWD, 5 door, LHD, Redneck Edition (RNE), Mossy Oak Obsession wrap, heavily modded, TOAD

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hey! eodgator!!
Double surprise to see 1/ this amazingly thorough reply 2/ that it was you!
Huge help, friend. I was aiming at 12-pt. but will go 6-point impact based on your suggestion. My current set ends at 22-mm. So I'll look for a set w/ larger sizes, incl. the 24-mm.

THANK YOU esp. for "Red Line use 58304 (75W90) Synthetic Gear Oil"! I've looked it up now-- didn't notice it before-- and (of course) you are right.

Merry Christmas!
P.S. Derailing my own Thread here-- but wanted to let you know, those Onki running boards, alas, didn't work out. Not too many aftermarket mods out there for RAV4 1998. Have you ever thought of featuring your RAV4 on Scotty Kilmer? I'm one of his moderators, and he's always looking for cars to feature on his YouTube. He's got 248,000,000+ views!

'98 RAV4 5-Speed 2WD 4-Dr. hardtop 2.0-L. gas I-4 engine. Venetian Red Pearl. Tail Light Guards (Manik). Michelin LTX M/S2 tires & spare. LED headlamps. Roof luggage rack. 5th-door saddle bags. Custom leather steering wheel cover. Sheepskin seat covers. Billiard ball #13 shift knob. Alloy wheels. Push Bar grille guard, LED fog lamps. Suede door panel inserts. Faux-suede center console cover. Driver/passenger grab-assist handles.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Techsus For This Useful Post:
Elle_Rav4 (01-05-2019), eodgator (12-20-2018)
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 01:49 AM
Advanced Member

Garage
I'm a big fan and a follower of Scotty Kilmer. That would be kool to have Ay, Caramba! on Scotty Kilmer except I've done a lot of things to Ay, Caramba! that Scotty says never to do, like the lift. I'm not heading to Texas until May if he wanted to have it on his show, I will be in the San Antonio, Austin areas and I pass through Houston as well.

That's also pretty kool that you are a moderator for him.

The Following User Says Thank You to eodgator For This Useful Post:
Elle_Rav4 (01-05-2019)
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 10:51 AM
R4W Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techsus View Post
VEHICLE: 1998 RAV4 5-speed 2WD 4-door

Q. #1: Am I looking for Drain/Fill plug(s) at rear axle that don't exist? Haynes Manual p. 1-2 states: "Rear Differential fluid: 4WD." Nothing about 2WD. Before crawling under rear axle, I want to make sure I'm looking for something that exists.

Since you have a 2WD Rav4, there isn't a rear differential present for you to service / change fluids.

1999, Quicksilver FX, 5dr, 5spd, 4WD
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I drive a 1998, 2wd, manual transmission, purchased in August 2018. I have changed the manual transaxle oil twice now. See the threads Eodgator links for why I did two replacements within six months. All seems fine right now.

As Mick and Eodgator indicate, there is no rear differential on the 2wd. Other than the transaxle oil, I can think of nothing else related to change.

A 15/-16-inch six-point, 3/8-inch drive shallow socket fits great. The 1/2-inch drive 24 mm socket I tried does not fit into the space for the drain plug. A 3/8-inch drive breaker bar will just fit into the space and works fine, with maybe a pipe on the end for added leverage. I bought the 15/16-inch shallow socket at Home Depot for under $3 recently.

3/8-inch drive.

-- Like Eodgator noted, do not use the oil you named (Red Line 57905). Red Line 57905 is spec'd for MT-1. Google on MT-1, and you will see it is not appropriate for your Rav4. (Thanks again to Eodgator for this important tip.)

-- I am a slim short-ish person. I do not need to put my Rav4 on ramps or jackstands to change the transaxle oil.

-- Red line's web site will tell you what oil to use: https://www.redlineoil.com/ . Per the site and Eodgator's approval, I will be putting Red Line 50305 (one gallon size) into my Rav at the next transaxle oil change. I bought a gallon from Amazon for about $61. Delivery date was as promised. Four quarts of 50304 wil work,too. The 50304 is the same oil as the 50305.

-- I use about 2.5 feet of 1/2-inch ID, 5/8-inch OD clear plastic tubing from Ace Hardware to fill my Rav's tranny. No funnel is needed. Have rags handy. The tubing has to be crammed into the fill hole a bit but this makes it a good tight fit. It minimizes spillage.

-- Put cardboard down to minimize any mess.

-- Squeeze the gear oil bottle slowly until you have a feel for how quickly it fills the transaxle case.

-- Install new crush washers on the drain and fill bolts. I bought a pack of ten OEM washers for about $9 on eBay. Else they are expensive. Part number is 90430-18008 but several other part numbers yield the same washer. See https://toyotaparts.mcgeorgetoyota.c...ket-90430a0003

-- The torque spec on both the fill and drain bolts (new crush washers installed) is 36 ft-lbs.

-- I bought my Rav4 in August and immediately changed the gear oil. Lots of metal flakes were in it. It was a bit alarming; yet all is going well with the transaxle at this point. I do not know how long the old oil was in there. When I changed the oil again a few days ago, way less metal flakes were in the oil.

-- This is almost an, "I can change my transaxle oil in my tuxedo (bridesmaid gown for some of us)" chore.

Only about 3.5 quarts of gear oil will come out, even though it is topped off. You will be fine with 4 quarts of oil.

I would call the shop and ask if they drained the oil or just put plugs in and topped it off. A shop where I am replaced the passenger side half shaft a few months ago and only topped off the transaxle fluid.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
"-- I am a slim short-ish person. I do not need to put my Rav4 on ramps or jackstands to change the transaxle oil." and "
-- I use about 2.5 feet of 1/2-inch ID, 5/8-inch OD clear plastic tubing from Ace Hardware to fill my Rav's tranny. No funnel is needed. Have rags handy. The tubing has to be crammed into the fill hole a bit but this makes it a good tight fit. It minimizes spillage."

Elle_Rav4
You're not using Gear Oil Pump...? No lift, ramps, jackstands...? No funnel...?

How do you achieve enough elevation for gear oil to flow horizontally from bottle to Fill Plug!? I want to do this in driveway without lifts too, and not have to buy a Pump, but how do you avoid a mess...? Thank you for dumbing this down for me-- I'm renting here & can't afford to make a mess. But it'll save me a 36-mi. round trip to where I can access a lift. Do tell.

P.S. You saved my bacon on that gear oil. Toyota Dealership Parts guy told me GL-5, which is for REAR, which my 2WD doesn't have. Went back to www.redlineoil.com and double-checked. You're RIGHT, he was WRONG to say "GL-5."

CORRECT OIL 2WD 5-speed Standard FWD (E250 -or- E250F) manual transmission:
Manual Transmission Fluid MT-90 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil #50304 (Qt.) or #50305 (Gal).

Elle_Rav4 Thank you for your attention to detail!!!

P.S. What is the difference between E250 and E250F transmission? What is that "F" designator? Both employed in 1996-2000 RAV4, both have identical gear ratios*. What's the difference? My VIN Decoder doesn't specify.

*E250 and E250F Gear ratios for this transmission, applications: 1996-2000 RAV4 3SFE:

1st: 3.833 2nd: 1.913 3rd: 1.258 4th: 0.918 5th: 0.775 Reverse: 3.583 FINAL: 4.933

Love you guys!

Last edited by Techsus; 12-20-2018 at 08:17 PM. Reason: fix spacing
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Hi Techsus, no gear oil pump. And correction: If you buy a one-gallon jug of gear oil, then I think you will need a funnel. (So far I have been using only one-quart bottles.) The 75W-90 I have used flows pretty easily from one-quart bottle directly into the 1/2-inch ID clear tubing.

No lifts, no ramps, no jackstands, nothing. Tires on the ground for the win. The transaxle drain and fill bolts are pretty darn accessible by crawling just a wee bit under the front, lying on a large sheet of cardboard.

The owner's manual for our 2wd first generation Ravs says either GL-4 or GL-5. My Toyota dealer said that its technicians use synthetic 75w-90 (not sure which GL). Whatever oil you use, I would just avoid anything that says it is spec'd for MT-1. At least, thanks to Eodgator, that's where I am now with which gear oil to use.

Here is what I suggest: Buy your 2.5 feet. 1/2-inch ID clear plastic tubing. Locate the fill bolt, and just leave the fill bolt in place for now. Thread one end of the hose from the top of the engine bay, starting a little aft of the radiator on the driver's side, and inboard of the air filter and radiator coolant reservoir, until the end is close to the fill bolt. Threading the tubing in this way will support the tubing a lot, so you are not juggling so much as you fill the tranny with new gear oil. There is no exact location or exact threading of the tubing through the top of the engine bay to the fill bolt. Just aim for the fill bolt as you thread.

Put an oil catch pan beneath the tranny to catch the old gear oil.

Remove the fill bolt and observe what the level is. If the tranny is full, then a bit of oil will drip out from the fill hole.

Remove the drain bolt and drain the tranny. Let the tranny drip into the oil catch pan for an hour or so. Replace the drain bolt (using a new washer).

Now bend the lower end of the hose a bit and push it into the fill hole. The tubing will fit, though it is a bit tight.

Return to the top end of the tubing. Wrap lots of rags around the top end of the tubing, with the end sticking out of the rags. Cut off the tip of a one-quart gear oil bottle so it fits easily into the top end of the tubing. Or if you want to use a funnel with the one-quart bottles, this is fine.

If you are using a one-gallon bottle of gear oil, and as noted above, you are right that you should probably use a funnel that fits into the top end of the tubing.

Start adding the gear oil to the top end of the tubing. Every so often, stop adding oil, set the bottle down on a stack of cardboard, and check that the bottom end of the tubing is not leaking oil onto the ground. You might have to wiggle the bottom end of the tubing a bit to help drain the oil from the tubing into the tranny.

When you have added about 3.5 quarts, remove the tubing from the fill hole. Some oil should run out. Replace the fill bolt (using a new washer) as the oil runs out a bit from the fill hole.

Torque the two bolts to 36-ft-lbs.

My local Autozone accepts used gear oil.

Isn't the E250F for 4x4 Ravs? Else I am not sure of the details of the difference between E250 and E250F trannies.

Like you, I am garage-less at the moment, so I pick my maintenance tasks carefully. I usually trade time in my friends' driveways. Recently to change the timing belt, I scored a half-price special in a 20 feet x 10 feet storage unit, getting permission to work on my Rav in it. No electricity but I managed fine. Putting lots of cardboard down kept everything tidy. It was nice not to have to put my tools away every late afternoon after finishing for the day.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Elle_Rav4
Taking a "break" from "intermittent Cranks but No Start" to return here. I have a while to get these plugs off-- Amazon order Red Line 50305 MT-90 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil 1-Gal. $58.95 arrives New Year's Eve.

Today, applied 1st-Round PB Blaster to Fill Plug & Drain Plug-- doused them good.
Home Depot Husky 15/16-in. 3/8-in. Drive 6-point socket $2.47: fits Fill/Drain Plugs perfectly.
Waited 10-min. Attempted to break Fill Plug. Wouldn't budge! 2nd attempt w/ breaker bar.

Will wait overnight. Apply 2nd round PB Blaster. When I re-attempt, am I going to have to crawl out from underneath & pull on Fill Plug w/ both hands? How tough was yours to remove!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page