Serviceable front struts - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 D.I.Y. and Modifications Share your RAV4.1 projects and ideas for future mods here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Serviceable front struts

Hey people first post here!

So I got a 1998 rav4 and I have taken it off road a couple times. Performed really well, anyways..I want to lift it. So i purchased a lift kit and unfortunately the lift kit came with the inserts for the front shocks. I currently have the sealed types. I have looked up down left right and centre to find serviceable struts for my rav4 but sadly nothing turned up. A bit upset about it. I posted in a couple rav4 Facebook groups and I got sent to these auto parts online stores. Looked around myself and then decided to email their support centre and they said that they do not have those types of front shocks. So I'm just wondering as it would be a bigger community here if anyone can please find a part number or send me a link for the serviceable front struts so that I can replace the inserts and finally install my lift kit. Would really really appreciate it. I am located in Australia and would prefer to get them from AU but if I can't find any then I won't have a problem paying shipping.

Appreciate any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Can you return the kit and order the correct kit for your Rav4?
I have heard that the early Rav4s had the serviceable struts but quickly changed over to the sealed struts. By the 99 manual they only show the sealed ones.

You are lucky to be in Australia were you have access to a wider range of Toyota parts for the Rav4.
I ordered my lift kit from Australia, Old Man Emu is the brand I bought.

99 Rav4 in Quicksilver
AWD & LSD with Moon Roof. Power Everything, except the manual Leather Seats and Transmission.
Selectable DRL, Inactive ABS, In-dash CB with Wilson roof-mount antenna, Clearance 10'8".
2.0l 5-speed.
86 Ford Truck
420ci 8-speed.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundabout View Post
Can you return the kit and order the correct kit for your Rav4?
I have heard that the early Rav4s had the serviceable struts but quickly changed over to the sealed struts. By the 99 manual they only show the sealed ones.

You are lucky to be in Australia were you have access to a wider range of Toyota parts for the Rav4.
I ordered my lift kit from Australia, Old Man Emu is the brand I bought.
Yeah i was told that the earlier models had serviceable struts but im not sure how to determine whether they are or they are not. And not sure if they will fit on my 98 model. That's why I was a bit skeptical about buying them second hand from the junkyard. Do you happen to still have that link for the old man emu lift kit from Australia? I can't find any from Australia. The only one I found is from the USA and shipping is so expensive as they have a bit of weight. Or at least the part number for the front shocks?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Garage
Anur1998, I was looking at the OME site (ARB Old Man Emu 4X4 SuspensionARB Old Man Emu 4X4 Suspension) and they have merged with ARB. When I looked at the selector, they no longer listed the RAV4 but it says to check with your local ARB parts store.

I did find some ebay.au listings, see https://www.ebay.com.au/b/Shocks-Str.../bn_7019824143

And this from another online parts supplier, see https://www.onlineautoparts.com.au/Q...manuId=&catId=

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

RAV4.1, 1999 RAV4, 3S-FE engine, E250F transaxle 5sp AWD, 5 door, LHD, Redneck Edition (RNE), Mossy Oak Obsession wrap, heavily modded, TOAD
'96 Newmar Mountain Aire, 40' diesel pusher motorhome, the mothership
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 01:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Garage
I looked up the OME struts at https://www.rocky-road.com/ome-rav4-lift-kit.html and the part number is for the KYB334252 Excel-G Gas Strut.

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

RAV4.1, 1999 RAV4, 3S-FE engine, E250F transaxle 5sp AWD, 5 door, LHD, Redneck Edition (RNE), Mossy Oak Obsession wrap, heavily modded, TOAD
'96 Newmar Mountain Aire, 40' diesel pusher motorhome, the mothership
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
My rav has got serviceable struts. It is a 1994.
I think they maybe sold you the wrong kit.

You said your are not keen getting from a junk yard? That's what I would do... if they are not too expensive.

To tell if the struts are serviceable or not you must look for a big nut where the strut finish and the shock shaft start. It is a pretty big nut, I had to use a huge pipe wrench + vise to take that off.

My spacers I got from Russia. But I am now a bit concern as I found out spring/strut spacers might not be legal in NZ. If I have to change my suspension I will get these raised springs. Shipping from here to Australia should not be too bad.

https://www.adenstyres.co.nz/product...nt=17334028870

1994 Rav4 J - 5 speed manual - 2 doors - AWD- Right hand drive Japanese import
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yeah I might have to grab something from the junkyard. Just wondering if the older shocks from a 97 or 96 will fit my 98? When opening it up do I have to worry about anything leaking or anything under compression? And the nut that I'm supposed to look for it on the top of the shock housing? If doesn't have that nut then that's not the one correct? Just want to double check because I don't really want to be spending money on stuff that won't fit
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 03:42 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Well, I can't tell for sure if will fit or not but I guess it will. As I said, I've got a 94 rav and I always buy my parts from Rockauto, and as far as I know in States the first rav was in 96 I think, and all parts fitted well so far.

Here you go, that's what you are looking for (pic in my suspension album). You can check before you buy, so you wont get nothing wrong.

On mine there was no pressure and yes, there was some oil inside

1994 Rav4 J - 5 speed manual - 2 doors - AWD- Right hand drive Japanese import
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page