DIY Full Timing Belt Video, with Water Pump, Crank and Cam Seals, Oil Pump Gasket ... - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 D.I.Y. and Modifications Share your RAV4.1 projects and ideas for future mods here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Elliot, I'm so glad the video helped you! Congrats on your first timing belt!

Regarding what you think might be a pan gasket leak: the oil pump gasket often looks a LOT like a pan gasket leak. If you replaced the oil pump gasket (the "animal cookie" gasket), then you might have stopped you leak.

If you think you really do have an oil pan gasket leak, I posted a video for that one -- the video is not as detailed as the timing belt video, but it will give you a good idea of what that job is like.

Here is the thread:

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/94-...an-gasket.html
The Following User Says Thank You to demoder For This Useful Post:
Elle_Rav4 (05-13-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
I was able to get everything done except the darn crankshaft seal. I just couldn't get that gear off for the life of me - maybe if I had the time to let the PB blaster sink in over night, but I had a deadline on the garage I was using and couldn't wait that long. My rav is a 99, and so the gear didn't have tapped holes in it. The pulley puller I used was the kind with three jaws that hook behind the pulley, but there just isn't enough room in there to get a bite.
Elliot, I am sorry about that. Now I remember an inexpensive, seemingly flimsy, two-jaw puller with L-shaped legs worked great. I could jam the "feet" of the puller just barely behind the sprocket. I would then screw down the puller until all was just barely secure, then I would continue to tighten until the sprocket freed a few revolutions of the puller screw later:

When clearances are close, like with the space behind the crankshaft sprocket, at times I have wrapped some cable around the shaft behind a {bearing, rotor, sprocket et cetera}; left two ends free; affixed the two ends of the cable to the puller's two jaws; and got just enough force to free the {bearing, rotor, sprocket et cetera}.

1998 Rav4, Manual Transmission, 2WD, JDM engine with 85k miles in early 2019
The Following User Says Thank You to Elle_Rav4 For This Useful Post:
Elliot (05-15-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page