Well I must say demoder's video is excellent! thorough, concise, and thoughtfully put together. Easily the best DIY video I've ever had the pleasure of viewing!
I was able to get everything done except the darn crankshaft seal. I just couldn't get that gear off for the life of me - maybe if I had the time to let the PB blaster sink in over night, but I had a deadline on the garage I was using and couldn't wait that long. My rav is a 99, and so the gear didn't have tapped holes in it. The pulley puller I used was the kind with three jaws that hook behind the pulley, but there just isn't enough room in there to get a bite. I even tried prying ever so slightly and lightly with a slotted screw driver behind the back set of teeth, but the thing just wouldn't budge.
The rest of it went off fairly well, minus a couple rusted out bolts that broke off here and there, the worst one being the bolt for the lower timing cover that also goes through the oil pump. I had to drill the whole thing out at a bad angle and pretty much destroyed that spot. thankfully it isn't really a necessary fastener.
the other two that caused me some trouble were the two nuts on the studs holding the plastic piece where the thermostat is on the water pump. The bottom one was so stuck I ended up leaving the plastic housing on until I could get the whole old pump on the bench. That lower nut came back to bite me again when I had everything reassembled, fired it up, started the coolant bleed procedure only to be met with a coolant leak. that's when I realized I had forgotten to put the new thermostat in the new water pump!
thankfully the thermostat is pretty easy to get in there if you remove the oil filter to get that lower nut.
I've never been so happy my car doesn't have ABS. the engine mount and isolater were cake to get in, and I was able to tag down that third engine mount bolt before putting the isolater in, without the stud there that bolt is no problem to get a regular socket on.
My harmonic balancer was the type with four m6 holes. I made a tool similar to demoders, but with three through holes in it for m6 bolts. I was breaking and bending bolts like crazy trying to get that crank bolt out, so eventually opted to blip the starter, which worked like a charm, and used my tool to torque that bolt back on.
For my first timing belt job I'd say it wasn't too bad. bummer that I couldn't get to the crankshaft seal, hopefully it'll last until the next belt. I can't imagine it'll leak any worse than it seems the oil pan gasket is leaking already!
thanks again for the video, it was a tremendous help!