DIY Full Timing Belt Video, with Water Pump, Crank and Cam Seals, Oil Pump Gasket ... - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 D.I.Y. and Modifications Share your RAV4.1 projects and ideas for future mods here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
DIY Full Timing Belt Video, with Water Pump, Crank and Cam Seals, Oil Pump Gasket ...

I just posted a full step-by-step DIY video to youtube for anyone who'd like to try doing the Rav4 timing belt on your own.

The video is just over 2 hrs, because I show each step. There's a Timestamp list in the Pinned Comment, so you can skip around easily:

Rav4 Timing Belt, Seals, Water Pump Replacement Video:

Please add any information you would like to add! I hope this video helps for people who'd like to give it a shot. I know people are more interested in the DIY on this engine these days, because this job (full front engine work) now runs between about $850 and $1100 at shops, for everything shown in the video on a Rav4 with ABS (I know, its crazy expensive).

There are lots of other videos for the 5SFE (which is the 2.2L version of this engine, found in Camrys). Those videos also show timing belt/seals/water pump replacement -- these are especially good (all Camrys):

The difference with the new video is that it is Rav4-specific, and so I show how to get those dang engine mounts out and the upper timing cover off without going insane!

I hope this helps! Good luck with your repair.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to demoder For This Useful Post:
4point1 (04-23-2019), 97.rav4 (04-21-2019), Elle_Rav4 (04-20-2019), Elliot (05-12-2019), eodgator (04-22-2019), Mick Hatzo (04-20-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:52 AM

demoder, this video is sensational. I watched it all and wrote down many notes to add to my own typed-out guide. I especially like that pass-thru ratchet and the technique for installing the camshaft seal. I laughed at 17:33 when you commented, regarding your Rav's particularly stubborn crankshaft pulley bolt: "You win, Baby Boy!" (It turns out Baby Boy won only for a few hours.) Thank you, demoder.

1998 Rav4, Manual Transmission, 2WD, JDM engine with 85k miles in early 2019
The Following User Says Thank You to Elle_Rav4 For This Useful Post:
demoder (04-22-2019)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Elle_Rav4! Haha, yeah -- that crankshaft bolt was a bear! I'll be happy not to meet that again. Though I understand that Honda crankshaft bolts are always like that (or worse!).

That pass-through wrench from Harbor Freight is a great tool because of its low profile. I have used it a lot on engines, and it is also great for working on bicycles. It comes with a nice range of both SAE and metric sockets in the kit:

https://www.harborfreight.com/21-pc-...set-62305.html

They always have 20% off coupons that you can pull up on your phone, so it is only $16 after the coupon. I love Harbor Freight! Lowe's Kobalt also makes a nice version, but is it more expensive and you don't get both SAE or metric -- but you can buy individual sockets, which you cannot do with the HF version:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-XTRE...ket/1000875540
The Following User Says Thank You to demoder For This Useful Post:
Elle_Rav4 (04-22-2019)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 04:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
This is one excellent and very helpful video.

although i had some difficulties with it:
1) you almost whisper ,you need to crank up your voice about 10 notches man.
2) the pausing of frames with text was too brief.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedOldRav For This Useful Post:
demoder (05-05-2019)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOldRav View Post
This is one excellent and very helpful video.

although i had some difficulties with it:
1) you almost whisper ,you need to crank up your voice about 10 notches man.
2) the pausing of frames with text was too brief.
Thanks for the input, RedOldRav, I'm glad you found the video helpful!

Regarding #2 , I know what you mean, I'm not sure how long to run those parts because I know a lot of people don't like long still frames of text in videos, so its a toss-up.

If you'd like, you can hit the pause button on youtube to extend the reading time for the text on any video (I often have to do this when I'm watching news videos, so I can read everything they put up because I'm a slow reader).

I'll take your comments into consideration when I make other videos! Take care!
The Following User Says Thank You to demoder For This Useful Post:
andyrocky1 (05-12-2019)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
If you slow reader it's simple. set the pause for the time it takes you to read.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In the middle of this job right now, and I can't for the life of me get the crank shaft sprocket off! any tips?

will report back with more praise later!

thanks,

1999 LE AWD
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 04:49 PM

Typically just a bit of rust is holding the crankshaft sprocket in place. Tap the sprocket all around with a rubber mallet, and see if it will free up. Alternatively use a puller like the one shown at https://www.harborfreight.com/three-...-pc-63953.html . Inexpensive two-jaw pullers work fine, too. Autozone and O'Reilly may have pullers as loaner tools. Once you get a pullers jaws on the sprocket, it does not take much force to free it.

1998 Rav4, Manual Transmission, 2WD, JDM engine with 85k miles in early 2019
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Elliot, if you have a pre-98, you might see two little threaded holes in the crank sprocket. They are M6 or M8, I can't remember. Maybe M8x1.25? You can use the same pulley puller that you used to remove the crank pulley/harmonic balancer to pull the crank sprocket off, using those holes.

If you are post-98, spray some penetrating oil like PB Blaster on the shaft. The post-98 crank sprocket ought to slide off fairly easily, unless as Elle mentioned, there is a little rust or something. If you can see the woodruff key, make sure it's not what's jamming you up.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well I must say demoder's video is excellent! thorough, concise, and thoughtfully put together. Easily the best DIY video I've ever had the pleasure of viewing!

I was able to get everything done except the darn crankshaft seal. I just couldn't get that gear off for the life of me - maybe if I had the time to let the PB blaster sink in over night, but I had a deadline on the garage I was using and couldn't wait that long. My rav is a 99, and so the gear didn't have tapped holes in it. The pulley puller I used was the kind with three jaws that hook behind the pulley, but there just isn't enough room in there to get a bite. I even tried prying ever so slightly and lightly with a slotted screw driver behind the back set of teeth, but the thing just wouldn't budge.

The rest of it went off fairly well, minus a couple rusted out bolts that broke off here and there, the worst one being the bolt for the lower timing cover that also goes through the oil pump. I had to drill the whole thing out at a bad angle and pretty much destroyed that spot. thankfully it isn't really a necessary fastener.

the other two that caused me some trouble were the two nuts on the studs holding the plastic piece where the thermostat is on the water pump. The bottom one was so stuck I ended up leaving the plastic housing on until I could get the whole old pump on the bench. That lower nut came back to bite me again when I had everything reassembled, fired it up, started the coolant bleed procedure only to be met with a coolant leak. that's when I realized I had forgotten to put the new thermostat in the new water pump! thankfully the thermostat is pretty easy to get in there if you remove the oil filter to get that lower nut.

I've never been so happy my car doesn't have ABS. the engine mount and isolater were cake to get in, and I was able to tag down that third engine mount bolt before putting the isolater in, without the stud there that bolt is no problem to get a regular socket on.

My harmonic balancer was the type with four m6 holes. I made a tool similar to demoders, but with three through holes in it for m6 bolts. I was breaking and bending bolts like crazy trying to get that crank bolt out, so eventually opted to blip the starter, which worked like a charm, and used my tool to torque that bolt back on.

For my first timing belt job I'd say it wasn't too bad. bummer that I couldn't get to the crankshaft seal, hopefully it'll last until the next belt. I can't imagine it'll leak any worse than it seems the oil pan gasket is leaking already!

thanks again for the video, it was a tremendous help!

1999 LE AWD
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elliot For This Useful Post:
demoder (05-13-2019), Elle_Rav4 (05-12-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement