In response to all the 3S-GE and 3S-GTE conversion - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 D.I.Y. and Modifications Share your RAV4.1 projects and ideas for future mods here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 06:32 AM
kidong

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
My RAV4 has a 3S-GE and with all my time spending on it, on wheel it still gives out 150HP. Not bad for N/A.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 12:24 AM
supercap

I have not had a problem with the standard rav4 drive line with about 250hp. I have made stronger rear diff mounts but that it. None of the "E" series (Rav4 ST165 St185 St205 other) gearboxes
have rear bias they are all 50/50. You can get viscous center diff or a locking diff but this is not a biasing diff aka subaru.

post #13 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 09:51 PM
3S Powered

Hey Kidong maybe you can help me

do you know if the 3sge intake manifold and throttle body can fit on the 3sfe? also can the 3sge head fit on the 3sfe?

post #14 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 11:03 PM
supercap

I don't think so, the 3sge and 3sgte heads are made by Yamaha where as the 3SFE has a Toyota head. This means that not much swaps over all the ports etc are totally different. The manifold and throttle are no better on the GE engines then the FE all I think you would do is to loose a little low down torque, I don't think it would be worth doing. You might get a GE head on a FE block, this was always the case with the 4A but why don't you do the whole job properly and do the whole engine then you get the correct pistons and rods to cope with the extra power and increase the compression. I can buy a gen3 3sge here for $500-800 (450-650ish USD). I think I could do an engine swap cheaper than just a head swap by the time you factor labor and gaskets in.

post #15 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 08:25 PM
3S Powered

gen 3....About what year is that

post #16 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 05:54 PM
supercap

They are around mid nineties. They are the last of the 3sges before the beams engines. Of interest, a gen2 turbo engine makes about 180hp a gen3 NA engine makes 175hp and a NA beams engine makes about 220Hp. The na engines are far more drivable, easier to install and have fewer problems with heat. The only turbo rival is the gen3 turbo (this is what I have) at about 245hp
David

post #17 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 05:03 PM
toyota_kitten

how much woudl you guys say the total cost would be for the complete swap 3s-fe to a 3s-gte?

toysport sounded like it woudl cost about 2500-3000 USD. not sure. thinking of sending the car up to a big time drag racer for toyota/scion b/c his shop has a 3sgte waiting to go into a car. but i just dunno how much it iwll all cost plus labor willbe a lot. but if i want it done right i'll pay. and i cannot do it myself... im just a chicka.. i can do basic maintenance and i did a swap for a VW b4 but... i dont know if i wanna do it for this.. sound way more complicated than what i am used too.

cher

post #18 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 05:43 PM
supercap

Hi,
The cost is very dependant on which engine you use (or start with). If you are doing a serious drag car then you will just about throw all the standard pats out other than the crank, block and head then you could use a gen2 for about 2K bare, but this would be a 20K project at least by the time you are done. If the thing is going to be a street/drag car then you want a gen3 (the gen2 turbos have about the same power as the gen3 non turbo std). You also probably want a front cut so you get the intercooler heat exchanger, electronics and wiring these go for $3500-$6000USD. As conversions go it is quite cheap, I would budget on $2000 for the conversion (assuming you want the oil cooler, A/C, fans mounted etc). About $1000 for wiring. I spent 1000AUD on engineering to make it road legal and 600 on a new clutch and timing belt. This brings the total to $5500USD if you do some of the work yourself, don’t use any new parts and are very lucky to about 10,000 if you drive in drive out and everything is perfect and you can’t find a cheap half cut. It cost me $6000AUD (5500USD) but I spent a long time looking for parts, I am in the trade, and a good friend owns a Toyota conversion workshop.
David

post #19 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to The Drifter Send a message via Yahoo to The Drifter
Oblong, Kidong, i have a question about the transmission

right now, iv egot a ST185 3S-GTE sitting in my bathroom (its the only place i have space to keep it in my apartment ) and im currently stripping it down to the block to get some machine work done to it.

but what i want to know about is transmission options. right now, ive got a 4WD auto, and i want to keep it 4WD. how do i do this? everywhere i look, they only talk about FWD. what information and/or parts do i need to make this happen???

and do you ahve any warnings or tips youd like to give me about the swap??? any major problems or headaches you guys ran into??? I plan on doing the swap myself with the help of a friend that works at a local speedshop, and my roomate whos family owns a machine shop.
post #20 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 07:08 PM
supercap

Good to hear of another Rav GT!
As conversions go it was easy. The only hard point is that you have to install the whole engine gearbox assembly as a single unit from underneath the car. I had my car on a hoist then used a fork lift to lift the engine from underneath. Replace the rear main seal and the clutch while you are there as it is so painful to get the engine out again later. You may also need more clearance to the clutch master cylinder, use a master cylinder from an AR82 corolla and grind the end off a bit. It is a direct replacement and is an inch shorter. If you want manual you will need to throw out the whole gearbox/transfer case and perhaps the rear diff (sorry I don’t know much about the autos ratios) then buy a rav4 manual gearbox, they should be quite cheap. You could use a ST185/205 etc gearbox as well as they are almost the same but you will have some work to do to make all the brackets to suit the rav. The 4wd system is an integral part of the gearbox. If you have any questions or want some photos email me directly at [email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page