In response to all the 3S-GE and 3S-GTE conversion - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 D.I.Y. and Modifications Share your RAV4.1 projects and ideas for future mods here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to The Drifter Send a message via Yahoo to The Drifter
ok, so if i want to keep it 4WD im pretty much limited to either sourcing an Alltrac transmission or one from a manual rav with 4WD... damn, its beinging to be harder than i thought...

i was talking to my transmissions teacher, and he was telling me that if i spend the money, he can build my auto to take the power of the new motor. "its no different than building an auto for a drag car" according to him. i guess ill ask him some more about that.

anyway, anyone else have any idea about the 4wd???

and yeah, i know about the whole dropping the motor out the bottom, i figured that out the other day when i looked at the mounts... and most transverse mounted motors have to have the trans bolted to them when you put it in. that shouldnt be too hard, ive got access to a lift at school, and ive done enough honda motor swaps to know how to drop a car on the motor, haha.

the easiest way to do that if you have a lift is to sit the motor on something sturdy, and lower the car down ontop of it. that way you dont have to use a forklift but i think i might do it that way, just as an excuse to drive the forklift around the school,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 07:00 PM
supercap

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I would guess that the auto would be fine as is. The manual E series gearbox (rav Gt4 etc) is massively over engineered for a standard rav. They designed the gearbox to be unbreakable with a turbo motor then just put in everything 4X4 or turbo, rav, GT4 Camry MR2, AE92SC etc. My guess is that they went through the same process with the auto, I would give it a go as is. I can buy a gearbox here for less then $400US.

post #23 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
no the auto is actually factory rated at no more than i think it was 210hp, and thats PUSHING it. mine has close to 200k miles on it, and it still has the original fluid, so i doubt it can take the power...

but maybe im wrong, ill have to look up those specs again at school. if it all works out, then hell, ill have an auto ravGT.

post #24 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
OK so after thinking it over and talking with some people, ive decided to make the RAV4 FWD when i swap in the motor, and ill worry about going back to AWD later on once i work all the bugs and everything out of the swap (and i can get my hands on an alltrac trans). I HOPE to get started on the swap november-decemberish (i know its a long way off... but hey, im al college student. i dont excatly have money to throw around. and im doing this ALL MYSELF. everything, machine work, swap, all of it) and be done by the end of the year so that i can have it running down the strip and at carshows by 2008.

i want to show everyone around here that a rav4 shouldnt be under-estimated

i also made a new friend! a guy out of miami i met over at hot importnights tampa, has a camry that did the 3S-GTE swap and used a MR2 trans (which is who gave me the idea to do the same on the rav4) so atleast ill have someone a little more locally to go to for help.

wish me luck! ill keep everyone posted on how it goes
post #25 of 72 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 07:40 PM
coyoteboy

Hi all,

I'm from the GT4 community and we were considering how possible it would be to swap down to a rav4 box for the different ratios. However I read, above, that the rear diff is made of chocolate on the rav - this seems odd to me as most of the rest of the drivetrain is the same and toyota use the same diffs across their range of cars - landcruisers, supras, celicas, surfs all use very similar diffs for the same model age. Any reports on these failing?Obviously we'd need the rear diff to match the box output or we would screw up the viscous coupler.

Ta all.

post #26 of 72 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 09:01 PM
supercap

Hi,
I have an early rav 95 with a standard st205 groupA engine using the rav manual gearbox, transfer case, axles and diff. It has had a lot of abuse from lots of single axle tramping and wheel spin on the sand to hard locked centre diff drag launches on black top with out a problem. I believe all the parts are the same strength as a st185-205 except the axles that are a bit smaller. The locking centre diff is good for the drags but I would use the viscous centre on a street driven car given the choice. I would think it is fine to use a rav gearbox in a gt4 you will have a few brackets and things to make on the outside but otherwise I think it would be a good option.

post #27 of 72 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 04:30 AM
coyoteboy

Supercap - "group A engine"?? A full works engine? Of do you mean the 205 WRC engine with homologation antilag exhaust fanimold?

Hehe I've just thrown together the ratios from the rav4 and gt4 (st205) boxes and I get:

Overall gearing, including final drive looks like:
gear rav4 st205
1 18.62 14.5
2 9.98 8.2
3 6.28 5.4
4 4.59 3.93
5 3.87 3.13

Would make redline speed 120, and first gear (I get about 30 by the redline in 1st) would drop to something like 20mph lol.
Makes me wonder if 1st would be a bit too short, but the rest looks fairly good. How much do the rav4 boxes go for these days? You dont see many on ebay/here.

post #28 of 72 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 07:02 PM
supercap

Yes first is very low, with a big jump to second. I think this was done because at the time Toyota was not sure if they could sell a toy 4X4 with out a low range transfer case so they made 1st ultra low to compensate. This would be the biggest disadvantage. If you get one make sure you get all the centre diff stuff that is outside the gear box, hoses, solenoids, wiring and pneumatics. Yes the engine I have is WRC homologation engine, I can get hold of some of the last works nickel blocks but the car is not worth having a really serious engine. I think a gearbox might cost in the order of $500AU here but you don’t see them every day. I know of several autos lying around and I have a 205 gear box which I might be interested in selling.

post #29 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm at the end almost of refurbing my '94 RAV 3 door. The 3SFE has been replaced with a 3SGTE turbo gen 2 . Slight change to 1 engine mount to allow space for the twin camshaft head and inlet manifiold. The freeflow custom made stainless exhaust is getting finished today, then its back to the garage to fit racing 6 pot calipers on the front with new larger and thicker ventilated discs (rotors). Its got a GT4 intercooler fitted.
The engine and clutch came from a MR2 and bolted onto the RAV gearbox.
Once the brakes are on its 18" alloys to be fitted to make space for the bigger discs.
Last will be a rollover cage for the inside.
Looking forward to trying it out, and so are the guys at the garage cos its not a conversion thats been done in the UK as far as we know.

Ian

Ian frae Scotland
Running two 1994 RAV4 GX 2DRS, both fitted with 3SGTE turbo engines. Best 1/4 mile 13.4 secs.
post #30 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bothwell_buyer
I'm at the end almost of refurbing my '94 RAV 3 door. The 3SFE has been replaced with a 3SGTE turbo gen 2 . Slight change to 1 engine mount to allow space for the twin camshaft head and inlet manifiold. The freeflow custom made stainless exhaust is getting finished today, then its back to the garage to fit racing 6 pot calipers on the front with new larger and thicker ventilated discs (rotors). Its got a GT4 intercooler fitted.
The engine and clutch came from a MR2 and bolted onto the RAV gearbox.
Once the brakes are on its 18" alloys to be fitted to make space for the bigger discs.
Last will be a rollover cage for the inside.
Looking forward to trying it out, and so are the guys at the garage cos its not a conversion thats been done in the UK as far as we know.

Ian
Considering you can buy ST205s in your country that takes some balls to go through with a conversion like that Post some pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page